Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Embrace the Hate Fest review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10721
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:03 pm

All right, so last night two friend and I went to this war metal show in LA and it was pretty fucking awesome.

The Bands:

Band #1

I honestly had no fucking idea who this band was, but they were pretty solid base don like the 2-3 songs we heard. Certainly set the mood for things to come. 6/10

Witchaven

This bad was completely out of place but they were good. Awesome black/thrash and frontman was funny as hell. 8/10

Vomit Ritual

This is when things started to get trve kvlt. Once the heavy chains were put on and the candles were lit, you knew these fuckers were going to start the ritual. Their set was short but it was decent never the less. Tons and tons of riffs. 8/10

Nocturnal Blood

Another fucking awesome band. This is a one man band so obviously there were session members playing. More black bestial goodness like Vomit Ritual, except a bit more refined. The frontman though was what made Nocturnal Blood so good. Really into the music and had some bestial as fuck vocals. Plus he was hot as hell too <_< 9/10

Obeisance

Probably the second weakest band of the night. The riffs were cool, but the guitarist did too many random solos in each song, plus the drummer got lost a few times in their set (though he was a pretty badass drummer). Overall though, they weren't bad per se, just that they couldn't compare with the bands they were playing along side with. 7/10

Diocletian

Talk about stage presence. Once these guys took the stage, every knew what was up. Everything they played sounded pretty good, though I couldn't make out WHAT they were playing. Although I never checked them out before yesterday, I feel like they are pretty awesome. Plus they came all the way from New Zealand to play last night, so that was pretty cool. 8.5/10

Blasphemophagher

Once the gas masks went on, you know shit was about to go down. These guys were the reason I went in the first place, and I'm pretty sure that's why people went too. The stage was flooded with people when they went on and everyone went nuts. They played some stuff I didn't know (because I only have their first album) but it sounded pretty awesome. Once they played Curse of the Phosgene Fog though, all hell broke fucking loose. One of the most intense crowds that I have seen. They ended their set by playing a Blasphemy cover and they got the dude from Black Witchery to do guest vocals. These guys were the highlight of the night and I am really happy that I got to see them. Only thing that I didn't like was that their set was so short, like they just played for like 40 minutes. It was a crime. Nevertheless, fucking awesome as fuck. 10/10

Black Wicthery

Eh... I really don't know why these guys headlined. I mean I like the band and all but they didn't deserve to headline. They took like 40 minutes to set up their stuff and that really pissed me off. I only heard 3 songs before we left because we were tired as fuck. They weren't bad... but eh. 7/10

The Experience:

Well the drive over to LA was 3 hours long because of traffic and that really made us tired as shit. The venue was in south central, which means everything was shady as fuck. Bunch of abandoned buildings surrounded by barbed wire and graffiti. When we got there, the venue looked like it was a damn restaurant from the outside because that was the design. We go inside and it was pretty awesome actually. There were only two lights in the entire place, one was dim and pretty much useless and the other light was dark red. There were a bunch of couches and shit on the side which made it even more awesome. One thing that sucked though was that the entire place reeked of smoke and it gave me a headache.

Saw quite an array of people. First thing that struck me was that there were actually black people there, I wtf'd pretty hard but whatever. Some asian kids as well, they all looked like they were the black metal version of X Japan. Big poofy hair and bullet belts. Old people wtf. There were more old people than usual at this show. And by old people I don't mean like people in their 40s and stuff, I mean like people who clearly are on social security. They were wearing band shirts, patches, and etc so you know they just weren't there because their kids/grand kids were there. Lastly, fucking hipsters. I mean what the fuck? Total hipster kids with their swooshy hair, oversized black glasses, and bullet belts. It didn't make any sense.

There were three highlights of the night. One, there was this asshole who kept annoying the shit out of everyone. Sometimes people don't want to mosh, and that wasn't getting through to him. He was just walking around the pit shoving people, and then taunting them. This went on for a good 2 hours or so, and then Diocletian went on. When they went on, a group of skinheads moved their way up to the front. This asshole fucked with the wrong people, because after he shoved one of the skinhead dudes like 2-3 times, he straight up punched him in the head and knocked the guy the fuck out. Blood was everywhere. Second awesome thing of the night was when I talked to the guys from Blasphemophagher. I knew these guys were from Italy, but I wasn't prepared for how Italian they would be. They all had the stereotypical Italian guy voice and thick mustaches. It was pretty awesome. When they went on stage, the drummer lit up a cigarette and was smoking during the set WHILE FUCKING PLAYING. Shit was awesome. Most awesome part of the night though was when I went to go talked to the guy from Nocturnal Blood. Dude was totally down to earth and really nice. Talked about music and and other shit. Plus the dude was hot as fuck. I'm pretty sure I felt the same way that 14 year old girls would feel if they got to talk to Justin Beiber.

Overall, an amazing fucking night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11324
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Sounds awesome. It's times like these when I wish I could enjoy more extreme metal. The shows have to be fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:18 pm

The cool thing about liking underground bands is that you can just go up to them and talk to them. There's no hassle about trying to find them because they'll be there right next to their merch booth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11692
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:26 pm

That sounds like a fucking blast, I haven't actually had the chance to go to a black metal show which is rather annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3312
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
The cool thing about liking underground bands is that you can just go up to them and talk to them. There's no hassle about trying to find them because they'll be there right next to their merch booth.

Yeah, this is a massive benefit to liking lots of stuff not many people have heard of, haha.
I remember chatting with the guitarist from Unexpect for like 2 minutes, when I first saw them, was fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11108
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:24 pm

cool review. people should post more of these. i wont though because i suck at writing. lol

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15989
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:50 am

I've also never had the chance to go to a black metal show either so it sounds fucking awesome. Although I too find myself wondering wtf hipster and scene kids are doing at shows like that. When I saw Skeletonwitch there were a few scene kids and I was confused because it totally wasn't their kind of music. I think they were locals who just drink at the bar or something.

Also, Witchaven is awesome.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 am

I guess hipsters were there to be ironic and because it's "super underground"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Sounds like fun, I haven't heard most of those bands, though a few of the names sound familiar.

&
Taxer666 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I felt the same way that 14 year old girls would feel if they got to talk to Justin Beiber.
loloBEAVER

You should kidnap the Nocturnal Blood dude. :B

Guiz I haet hipsterss!11
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Yeah last time I saw skeletonwitch there were a lot of hipsters though they may have been there for Tusk or Howl (not really sure) they were a good crowd though so whatever, I never think twice about that one scene kid or that one guy who doesn't fit in because I have a tendency to be that one metal kid at scene shows so I know how that guy feels lol.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Axe wrote:
I've also never had the chance to go to a black metal show either so it sounds fucking awesome. Although I too find myself wondering wtf hipster and scene kids are doing at shows like that. When I saw Skeletonwitch there were a few scene kids and I was confused because it totally wasn't their kind of music. I think they were locals who just drink at the bar or something.

from what i know about hipsters i know (idk) is that they are actually pretty into almost anything lol. palpi's brother is a hipster (like the quinteessential one, at least palpi explains it so, i never see him) and he went to a black metal show the other week. we both went wtf? but it looks like its common. i do not think hipsters are a group that needed to be hated....

now fans of brokencyde is a whole nother story... and i agree with IB that cheezeless burgerz are something to be cringed upon.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Axe wrote:

Maybe it's just the way they dress and they actually are proper metalheads. I admit I dress pretty scene kidish sometimes. I have chequered shirts and skinny jeans....LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 am

I like a lot of hipster music so it's not surprising, but the majority of scene kids i have met only like the obvious scene kid bands.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4785
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Sounds pretty tr00.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Axe wrote:
I like a lot of hipster music so it's not surprising, but the majority of scene kids i have met only like the obvious scene kid bands.

scene kids are different then hipster kids. unless thats what you were saying. your sentence is confusing me.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm

I still don't get what a hipster even is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 pm

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4573-hipster/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm

LOL That was pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:13 pm

LOR wrote:
Axe wrote:

scene kids are different then hipster kids. unless thats what you were saying. your sentence is confusing me.

Hipster is like evolved scene kid, I think. But they actually like good music, unlike scene kids

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I actually get on pretty well with scene kids surprisingly. They don't seem to mind my occasional You Me At Six rant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 am

Axe wrote:
LOR wrote:
Axe wrote:

Hipster is like evolved scene kid, I think. But they actually like good music, unlike scene kids

which makes them completely different. i can like hipster kids. i have friends that are hipster kids. i dont have friends that are scene kids. i think hipster kids are also actually fundmentally smarter than scene kids. ive come to find out that scene kids are just dumb and follow the scene because they think its cool to follow the scene. hipster kids, though in a scene, i find actually kind of belong in the scene cuz thats the stuff they actually like, not because they want to "look cool (whatever the fuck that is." and want to be in the scene. idk. thats what ive experienced.

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:19 am

I dunno most of my friends who like scene music just honestly like it. *shrugs* I mean that's why I like it. I think people worry too much about the whole scene thing.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 am

blackstar wrote:
I dunno most of my friends who like scene music just honestly like it. *shrugs* I mean that's why I like it. I think people worry too much about the whole scene thing.

that doesnt make them scene. you also have to dress and act the part.

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 am

I think you guys are over thinking this and putting too much time into it.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am

blackstar wrote:

your 100% right. but then there wouldnt be anything to talk about...like now

buzzkill...

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 am

LOR wrote:

buzzkill...

:cool:
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:57 am

blackstar wrote:
LOR wrote:

buzzkill...

:cool:

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:30 am

blackstar wrote:

We overthink everything here, that's the point. You're just trying to make it sound bad because it's something you don't necessarily agree with. Plus we have an obligation to complain. I don't have a problem with anyone liking anything, I just like to complain a lot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 am

Axe wrote:
blackstar wrote:

We overthink everything here, that's the point. You're just trying to make it sound bad because it's something you don't necessarily agree with. Plus we have an obligation to complain. I don't have a problem with anyone liking anything, I just like to complain a lot.

lol QFT

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the Hate Fest review   Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:30 pm

The pure brutal honesty in that is amazing xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content