Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11756
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Well, no one cares but I'm going to do a live review anyway. 🆒

Headed out to the show early that morning to get to Nashville (which is about a 3 hour drive) to do some xmas shopping and whatnots and spent the day wandering stores mostly. Worked my way through evening traffic to arrive at the venue around 5:00 and waited in line for the doors to open.

About 15 min before the door time one of the venue workers came out and announced that Trap Them had dropped the show due to illness and that Misery Index were half way between the last city and Nashville because their van engine exploded so we were down 2/4 bands for the evening and had picked up some "local" opener. I was looking forward to seeing both of them so this kind of sucked but in the long run the two bands I was planning to see were still there.

The venue itself is actually the second "stage" at Rocketown. The main being a 1300 capacity room in the main building, the White Building where we were is a converted mechanic garage with what I believe is around a 5-550 capacity, and the third a 150 cap small stage in the main building. This being the second time I've been in the White Building it's an excellent place for a show, one room very intimate with the bands setting up their own gear, running merch, little security and the ability to literally prop your foot on the stage and watch. I managed to snag a spot about a foot away from the front between the left main and the stage. The crowd was small (it being a monday night) but filled the better part of half the room I'm fairly certain there were some late people expecting two full opening acts.

Promptly at 7 the "local opener" Demeanor took the stage. They were a two piece hardcore/powerviolence (I guess) band from Southern Kentucky and by all accounts and my knowledge...were fucking terrible. The stereotype most people have for metal/extreme music (the whole one chord as fast as possible and screaming incessantly at the top of your lungs intelligible things and swear words) was absolutely true. They played 8 songs in 15 min and they all consisted of one chord, lots of cymbal, and the vocalist literally just screaming in the exact same pitch and tone. After this we all sincerely missed Misery Index. By this point the building had filled out to a pretty nice crowd and pretty near what I expected for the night.

Demeanor left the stage and after just a few min of mingling with others in the crowd the boys in Skeletonwitch took the stage and finished their gear set up. From the first riff to the last I have to again say they were absolutely fucking excellent. Third time seeing them was not boring at all and seeing an unfamiliar crowd enjoy them as much as this one did (Chance did a poll asking who had seen Skeletonwitch before) was rather awesome. Having managed to maintain my spot during Demeanor I was directly in front of guitarist Scott Hendrik and bassist Evan Linger. They started with a number of selections from Breathing the Fire, which the crowd devoured. When my neck wasn't moving it was just as entertaining to watch the bodies fly and moshers actually destroying the few hardcore dancers as it was the band on stage. They largely concentrated on BtF but did a few of the highlights from BtP as well as a few lesser known ones and even hit The Skullsplitter from At One with the Shadows. After destroying my neck for a good 50 min I pushed it further with the opening riff of Within My Blood the ever present closer. Just as good as the first two times I saw them it's nice to see that even after three times the band can still play material I haven't seen live and keep a fresh and interesting set while including their standards.

After the Witch were done only JFAC remained on our small set for the night. The band already had their amps set up and mic'd off stage while Skeletonwitch were performing so all that remained was to set up the drums and soundcheck which went marvelously fast (a fact I like to attribute to bands doing their own set up). Again proving itself the "little tour that could" JFAC had to announce their bassist would be out for the night because he was curled up on the van in a half lucid state thanks to the flu one man down however they decided to storm the last night of the tour with intense ferocity. The first time I witnessed JFAC was at a festival which in no way can capture their intensity on stage. With the amps off stage the three mobile members of the band had plenty of room to move and perform. I enjoy them on album but live is truly where JFAC shines there is a strong intensity that just inspires headbanging even after the near continuous bang to the Witch. Slow headbanging became the highlight of the night with some of their heavier riffs just inspiring a slow powerful full headbang. It was obvious that the crowd was theirs. From the first chord to the last the room exploded. The entire back half of the room was a pit (again amazing full of moshers keeping the hardcore dancers in check) and the front half filled with bangers and flying hair. The band had a brutal intensity but unlike most death metal and core bands I've seen had the ability through their lighting, various audio tracks, and their post song presence to keep a real feel of mysticism and darkness surrounding them. The set centered mostly around their newest album Ruination but they in no way neglected their older material, hitting three songs from the Doom EP and three from their debut Genesis. In the end after over an hour of onslaught they left the stage as they came in silently and calmly.

After the show which ended at a very early 10:15 I sat around and chatted with Scott and Chance from Skeletonwitch about their Memphis show last year and the tour in general. Both really cool guys I've had the honor of getting to meet every time I've seen them and thanks to last night of the tour deals managed to score a JFAC shirt, their Ruination album, and a new Skeletonwitch shirt all for just $25. While I was originally disappointed by the lack of Trap Them and Misery Index after the past few shows I've been to being borderline festival tours a quick get in get out and get destroyed show was a nice change of pace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486631
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Sounds like a great time, I really want to see JFAC in a small venue now...

BTW is Rocketown a chain of places? There is a venue here with the same name, and it has multiple stages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:51 pm

I don't believe so (just did a bit of research) I believe the one here anyway is a single venue/company.
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5514
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Skeletonwitch cheers

JFAC Sleep lol

Glad you enjoyed yourself though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:43 pm

I had forgotten that you liked Skeletonwitch =o and thank you sir.
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Mista Conthulha wrote:
Sounds like a great time, I really want to see JFAC in a small venue now....

Yeah, yeah you do. On that note heres a photo for venue size reference.

Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:20 pm

That's a bit smaller than the one I saw Blind Guardian at. Perfect!

Going to a show on Sunday for some pop punk band I've never heard of. Time to mosh mosh mosh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Yup, White Building is awesome. I do like the main venue as well though. It's big but not too big. And wow man xD what band?
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Versaemerge is the band name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 pm

:o I'm actually jealous. They aren't really pop punk though more post hardcore.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:20 pm

haha, I'm gonna listen to some of their stuff tonight so I actually know some of the songs before I go xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5514
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Usually a good idea....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16053
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:58 am

Very nice review, did JFAC sound pretty good without bass? Bass a lot of times isn't too prominent live but I can see how it could make all the difference.

Also glad you got to meet Chance, he is one cool dude. Do you know if it was still considered their Skullsplitter tour? That's the one I caught them on in November and they also played Skullsplitter (obviously)

Sorry to hear two of the bands dropped, but glad to hear you had a good time and got to hear the two you wanted to see most. Fucking Skeletonwitch, I really want to see them again...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah they sounded good. I mean I missed that heavy low end but they put on a great show and I would love to see them again with the full band. But to answer the original question yes they were good. And no they were opening for JFAC so it was not Skullsplitter tour.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:41 am

Glad you had a good time. I'm not a fan of deathcore at all but I'm sure deathcore bands put on pretty high energy shows. There is actually a lot of music that I wouldn't really listen to on recordings but I would really enjoy live
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:12 am

Honestly JFAC haven't had much core in their style since the first album to me. Really moved in a death metal direction.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:23 am

They did, but I enjoy the Deathcore a lot more than the Death Metal they did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11172
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 am

dont listen to them but i liked reading the review. they are always interesting for some reason.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11388
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 am

Skeletonwitch sound incredible live. I need to go see them next chance I get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 am

Mista Conthulha wrote:
They did, but I enjoy the Deathcore a lot more than the Death Metal they did.

I like both of their sides a lot. I just generally like them though.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10785
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:00 am

Deathcore is even worse live because of the fans
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:52 am

waaaaah^

My show tonight was decent, the opening bands were ok, but VersaEmerge's drummer couldn't make it so they played an all-acoustic set, which was boooooooring.

There For Tomorrow was pretty good though, got a good pit going as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 pm

That sucks MC glad you got to have a good put though lol.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 am

Mista Conthulha wrote:
waaaaah^

My show tonight was decent, the opening bands were ok, but VersaEmerge's drummer couldn't make it so they played an all-acoustic set, which was boooooooring.

There For Tomorrow was pretty good though, got a good pit going as well Very Happy
\

Why are you listening to Attack Attack?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:39 am

someone is listening to attack attack?!?!?!?!?!

this person must be sacrificed.

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 am

I mean come on, you make fun of me for liking folk metal!

I'm still in denial, really, someone must have hacked your account. At least bands like A Day To Remember have talent so I can let that slide, but this is just unforgivable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 am

MC is secretly Olli Sykes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 am

Olli Sykes is awesome >_>
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 am

I don't care if you like the band or not. He's still a whiny ****.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

He was a really cool guy when I met him, and if your talking about lyrically I don't really care >_> lol.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:56 am

Back when I was blissfully unaware of who they were I read an interview with him in my brother's Kerrang and, holy fuck, he can whine. The whole interview was him whinging on about how shit his life is. Oh, we feel so sorry for you, Olli, with your successful band and thousands of fans. I'm not saying I'm not sympathetic for that sort of stuff but when you dedicate a whole interview to it....there's such a thing as milking it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 am

Meh I'm sure he can he's still cool though Razz I haven't read a handful of interviews with him but based from when I met him he seemed to be a real subdued guy like on stage total beast off he's real quiet and sort of side steps compliments and stuff. I don't know the guy personally though so who knows lol.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:40 pm

He is fucking hot though Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:07 pm

wait.... someone is listening to attack attack still?

what evil is this...

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Mista Conthulha wrote:
He is fucking hot though Laughing
Apparently so. Many people have made this clear to me.

Me: "Olli Sykes is such a whingy bastard."
Friend: "But he's so hot!!"
Me: "So? He's still a whingy bastard."
Friend: "But he's so hot!!"
Me: *facepalm*

*repeat*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:18 am

Point being Attack Attack sucks ass. Proven fact by scientists who don't lie or piss me off
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:51 am

was it science? or was it Odin?

its both...

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 am

It was Zeuss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10785
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Oli Sykes isn't hot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 am

Bear in mind my friends are 16 year old girls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:14 pm

I have a man crush on Oli Sykes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Why are we talking about shitty scene kid bands still?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:50 am

Because DF brought BMtH up and me and MC like them so we like talking about them.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 am

Invalid response.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Sure.....
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:28 am

Mista Conthulha wrote:
I have a man crush on Oli Sykes.

i see dragonland in your list. hurray! i like them somewhat.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th   

Back to top Go down

Live: Job for a Cowboy, Skeletonwitch Rocketown, Nashville Dec 20th
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1