Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10785
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:12 am

Well all right, I'll start off by saying that things hardly went as planned, but nevertheless it was easily the most amazing thing I had ever experienced.

The Bad

All right, shit was kinda fucked here. I was supposed to go to the concert with a friend. He's doesn't like metal but he was genuinely interested in going. Thing is, he knew SF is a pretty confusing city so we decided on waiting for one of his friends to get off work because he knew the city a fair amount. At this point I knew I was going to miss Dispirit and Allerseleen, but I really didn't care so I was like w/e. We decided to get food first and that's when things got out of hand. We got lost. Like holy shit. Fuck SF and their one way streets. By the time we go there, Agalloch had already started playing. I rush inside but my friend tells me he needs to get his friend a ticket. Turns out the box office just closed like 5 minutes ago. So he and his friend decide to just hang out while I stayed inside. After the show, I went to go get some merch. I wanted a shirt, like really bad...but they fucking sold out. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk.I was supposed to meet up with a friend (Arthur of the band Cormorant, I hope you've guys heard them before) but I couldn't find him. I go outside to look for him but no luck either. I try to go back inside and hopefully try to talk to John Haughm or Don Anderson (or anyone from Agalloch really)... but they didn't let me back in. Ugh.

The Good

Although I missed like a half hour of their set, what I got to see was easily the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. I walked in while they were playing The Watcher's Monolith and I was awestruck. I don't know the song very well because I haven't heard the new album too much but there's this one melody in the song that is just... indescribable. After that they played Of Stone, Wind and Pillor. I was extremely surprised that they played this song and it's one of my favorites. I have never cried during a concert, but when this song came on, I just lost it. Fucking amazing. Next was Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires, another song I don't know too well but it was pretty awesome. After that was Not Unlike the Waves. Fucking amazing how awesome this song is live, like everyone was totally into it. Then came Our Fortress Is Burning... I & II: Bloodbirds. Once again, tears flowing throughout the entire thing because of how awesome it was. They did the whole "hey guiz lets have feedback and leave the stage for liek 5 minutes before we come back on to do the encore" which kinda killed my ears because it was pretty loud but whatever. The first encore song was Dead Winter Days. I wtf'd pretty hard because I didn't think they'd play it...but they did! Easily the most headbangible song of the night and it slayed. Last song of the night was In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion and they couldn't have ended the conert any better. The entire crowd lost their shit and were totally into it. Lighters were everywhere. I thought I couldn't cry anymore, but god dammit I did. It was total bliss, and probably the closest thing to a religious experience that I will ever have. After the show, I went to go buy the new album and a rockin' lithograph poster thing.

Although I wish I had gotten their earlier, it was easily the best night of my life. I hope to see the again someday and I hope you guys get the chance to experience them live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16053
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:19 am

Sounds fucked up but still an awesome experience. You should have not relied on friends who didn't understand the intensity of the situation. It's called mapquest. But still, glad you got to see them play. They're easily one of the bands I want to see most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11388
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:50 am

Wow. It made you cry? It must've been fucking incredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11756
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Sounds absolutely incredible, all the bullshit sucks though. Glad it wasn't any worse though : )
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:05 am

A concert like that would be enough to make me forgive about a year's worth of bullshit. Wish I could have been there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11172
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:30 pm

thats similar to my experience with blind guardian. i was actually thinking that if ever wrote a review on the show i would have used "as close as a religious experience as it can get for me" as well. because there are some shows that are so great because they are fun (like gogol bordello for me) but then there are bands that are so great because of something else
(BG for me). you cant really compare the 2. gogol is incredible live and def one of my favorite live acts, but so is BG. i would never place one over the other and the reason BG was so great for me was the "religous (or w/e) experience factor" or whatever. im glad you had a good time, although the extra bullshit sounded awful. i would have felt terrible. Sad im glad all my friends made it inside with me. still glad you enjoyed what you could of it though. though i still sadz for u too Sad

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Fuck you, LOR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:27 pm

No. Even the monocle emoticon doesn't cut it. You met fuckin' Hansi. I hate you forever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:11 pm

I.....fuck.

You are forgiven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:13 pm

HURRAY!!!!! Very Happy

apple now introducing its latest product- the ifuck.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 pm

With interactive touch screen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 pm

its interactive, but really dumb... perfect

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486631
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 pm

the iTouch sounds kinda sexy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14931
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 am

Sometimes i find myself being totally enveloped into an album and sometimes i get weepy. but i dont think i could be at a rock concert and get that close to weepy sadness. But my wishlist/death list has seeing agalloch on it.
glad Raul the Elitist had a great time XD

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 am

My "religious experience" will come around next July. Iron Feckin' Maiden....

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

iron maiden wasnt a religious experience. good concert....but not groundshaking

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 pm

You don't worship them as I do though. Think how you'd feel going to see AAL and multiply it by 35251610. That's how I'll feel going to see Maiden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 pm

yes. but i can see animals as leaders and not call it religious. only certain types of music can do that and i dont think iron maiden is one of them.
i saw btbam, my most loved band. it was perfect. it was so fucking perfect. i was amazed, but i wasnt emotionally changed because of it.

i think there are people that will agree with me on this one

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:48 am

i was emotionally changed by BG. and im pretty sure if i ever have the luck of seeing equilibrium or kamelot (the right line up Sad ) it would be the same for me.

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 am

meh, alright. thaats fair

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 am

LOR wrote:
i was emotionally changed by BG. and im pretty sure if i ever have the luck of seeing equilibrium or kamelot (the right line up Sad ) it would be the same for me.
Equilibrium too. Although it kinda sucks that Helge won't be there. I can't believe the guy just decided to stop doing it. It's like Leonardo Da Vinci deciding he doesn't want to paint anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 pm

true. but the new guy aint bad.

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I wouldn't pay a dime to see the current Maiden tour. No old songs? No thanks. Though I really want to see Judas Priest. Sucks that they're splitting up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Sucks that they're splitting up.

WAIT WUT >_>
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9789
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Sad but acceptable.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:41 pm

that sucks

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Darkflame wrote:
LOR wrote:
Equilibrium too. Although it kinda sucks that Helge won't be there. I can't believe the guy just decided to stop doing it. It's like Leonardo Da Vinci deciding he doesn't want to paint anymore.

i found out what helge and manuel are doing now. they left and are doing this project together now. Im surprised i didnt hear about this. lol, i would have thought this would have been news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYij_qKpKJw

http://www.myspace.com/drivenmetal

btw i also checked out some of manuels solo drumming vids, he is MUCH better then he shows in his bands. but thats probably what it is with most drummers lol.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:36 am

LOR wrote:
Darkflame wrote:
LOR wrote:

i found out what helge and manuel are doing now. they left and are doing this project together now. Im surprised i didnt hear about this. lol, i would have thought this would have been news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYij_qKpKJw

http://www.myspace.com/drivenmetal

btw i also checked out some of manuels solo drumming vids, he is MUCH better then he shows in his bands. but thats probably what it is with most drummers lol.
Wow. That is pretty freakin' awesome. Very different from Equilibrium. It's pretty weird hearing Helge sing in English actually. LOL

Yeah, I've seen some of Manuel's solo drumming stuff. He's damn good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 am

i feel sad though... Sad they not in equilibrium no more...

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah, but if they were then they would have made an album that reached the absolute peak of all music and created a giant black hole to the universe of demonic abominations, who would descend upon our world in a fiery apocalypse until they played a song that happened to be an ancient ritual to summon the ancient guardian dragon of light and sent all the demons back in an epic and bloody battle that would restore the world to what it once was and the album would have to be sealed away in an ancient temple so that it never happened again.

Actually, that would be pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Quit talking about bad folk metal in my thread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kassill
Top Lad

Number of posts : 123
Hedonistic Glory : 2628
Joined In : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:43 pm

LOR wrote:
thats similar to my experience with blind guardian. i was actually thinking that if ever wrote a review on the show i would have used "as close as a religious experience as it can get for me" as well. because there are some shows that are so great because they are fun (like gogol bordello for me) but then there are bands that are so great because of something else
(BG for me). you cant really compare the 2. gogol is incredible live and def one of my favorite live acts, but so is BG. i would never place one over the other and the reason BG was so great for me was the "religous (or w/e) experience factor" or whatever. im glad you had a good time, although the extra bullshit sounded awful. i would have felt terrible. Sad im glad all my friends made it inside with me. still glad you enjoyed what you could of it though. though i still sadz for u too Sad

Sad You make me wish I hadnt missed BG even more now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am

Taxer666 wrote:

i recall you saying you didnt mind them so...

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm sorry you missed half their show.. BUT still very lucky and awesome that you got to see them at all. When do you think they'll tour the rest of the US? Should come to Ohio me thinks.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

LOR wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

i recall you saying you didnt mind them so...

This plus...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:10 am

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Quit spammingmy thread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Quit spammingmy thread

problem?

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah actually
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16053
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 am

I thought the 4chan shit was gone, but looks like it came back stronger than ever
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm

if u ask me, we kept the thread alive. it would have been dead because no one is talking on it anymore. i dont see the problem if me and dark are doing our own thing. its just fun. and get over yourself taxer. yeah we get its YOUR thread. dont be so butt hurt.

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:53 pm

i see both sides. on the one hand, mindless posting of stupid images is a horrible and childish thing to do. yet, taxer is the king of trolls and him "asking" for them to stop doesnt really motivate me to do anything

as you were gents

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Brute wrote:
i see both sides. on the one hand, mindless posting of stupid images is a horrible and childish thing to do. yet, taxer is the king of trolls and him "asking" for them to stop doesnt really motivate me to do anything

as you were gents

i wouldnt call it mindless. me and dark were going at it. ...its half mindless. but there is a REASON for it. Very Happy but i thank you for letting it go Very Happy

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 pm

It's just some fun. It's not as if we're spamming every thread with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 am

Darkflame wrote:
It's just some fun. It's not as if we're spamming every thread with it.

this.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA   

Back to top Go down

Agalloch: Dec 22 @ The Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next