Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Album Reiview - Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3377
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Album Reiview - Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All   Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:14 pm

So I've been listening to this album pretty much nonstop since it has been posted on Metalsucks.net
I've decided to write a review for it...it's NOT OFTEN an album causes me to write about it...

Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All

Let's just get this out of the way. Ulcerate is HEAVY, extremely brutal death metal, they use dissonance in their music somewhat similar to bands like Immolation, Gorguts and
Deathspell Omega. What does this translate to? I will almost be guaranteed to appreciate it on some level. They also have a somewhat technical edge which is met with an
extremely powerful groove, oftentimes provided by the slower riffs and quieter sections.

This is the follow-up to Everything is Fire. The sophomore album of Ulcerate, EiF is what essentially got my attention to this band. When I heard they were recording their third
album, I was immediately intrigued.

The Destroyers of All has a lot going for it as an album, it is greater than the sum of its parts. From Burning Skies to the title track, the album creates one of the thickest
atmospheres I've heard in a death metal album. The songwriting simply flows as the riffs formlessly evolve and change, interspersing great bouts of dissonance in the ideal
places. Each song also stands out exceptionally on its own, my personal favorites being...well, Burning Skies, Dead Oceans, Cold Becoming, Omens and The Destroyers of All, and
truth be told, the other two tracks are incredible in their own right...I just cannot remember much from them as I write this. Truth be told, I cannot pick a single favorite.

This album is 7 tracks long with the shortest being just over six minutes, so prepare for a fairly long yet enjoyable listen. Though the tracks are all long, they never drag.
The atmosphere created here is one which is oppressive, as if one is to drown. There is not a weak moment to be had througout the entire album. The slower moments oftentimes
create an amazing build-up to those impeccable brutal dissonant riffs that flow throughout the songs.

Each time I listen to this, I appreciate a new aspect of it. This is my favorite aspect of music like this. It's not an easy listen, something one needs to try to concentrate to
fully appreciate. One of the most impressive aspects of the band is the incredible versatility behind the drummer. He is dynamic, and makes those riffs and excellent guitar tone
immediately stand out.

When an album has absolutely no flaws, and every moment on the album is a complete joy to listen to, I'd be remiss not to give it a perfect score. Especially knowing how many
incredible releases we're getting this year. However this is EXACTLY what I love in this kind of music, exactly what I was looking for to influence my own playing for one of my
projects.

I give this a 10 out of 10, to my own surprise. This is potential Album of the Year for me already...

Edit: For your convenience, here is the MS link.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/01/11/exclusive-full-album-stream-ulcerate-are-the-destroyers-of-all/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16054
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Album Reiview - Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All   Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:29 am

I'm really enjoying the album so far, crushing, dissonant riffs are exactly what I'm looking for right now. I'll probably have to pick this album up
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Album Reiview - Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1