Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2010 in Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16051
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: 2010 in Review   Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am

Music
Honestly, there were a lot of great releases in 2010, both in metal and indie. Equilibrium gave us Rekreatur, which is not everyone's cup of tea I understand but was a great folk metal record nonetheless. Nothing groundbreaking, but very solid and enjoyable, and something I plan of revisiting a lot. 2010 gave us great releases from not only established artists, however, but also from some new ones that completely blew me away. Les Discrets, Barren Earth and Broken Bells all released their debut album in 2010. Septembre et ses derničres Pensées, Les Discret's debut release, completely blew me away. Not only is it one of my favorite records of 2010, but it will undoubtedly be one of my favorite records of all time. They raised the bar for atmospheric and thought-provoking metal. Barren Earth released Curse of the Red River, a fantastic progressive metal masterpiece. If I had to describe it to those who haven't heard it, I would say it's a brilliant mixture of Amorphis-esque melodeath and 70's progressive rock. It definitely flew under the radar of most, but in the end it was one of my favorite new releases of the year. We also have Broken Bells, which is an indie band composed of James Mercer, frontman of The Shins, and Dangermouse, who has worked with many noteworthy alternative and hip-hop groups. They brought a very creative and brilliant album which mixed together some great aspects of both of the members' respective genres. Agalloch, of course, released Marrow of the Spirit which again will probably end up being one of my favorite albums of all time. It's always refreshing to hear new material from them, but I won't ramble on because everyone on this forum is well aware of Agalloch's existence. All of these albums were fantastic, but my favorite release of the year came from Minus the Bear. OMNI was released to mixed reviews, with some fans despising the new direction and some fans loving it. MTB is a band which will never release the same record twice. Each album has it's own distinct flavor and atmosphere, and OMNI is no different. Aside from the fantastic music, it will always be the record that defines the year for me. It was the soundtrack to a lot of great things that happened so it will always bring back those memories. Other fantastic releases for the year include Ihsahn's "After", Alcest's "Ecailles de Lune", Ra Ra Riot's "The Orchard" and Lantlos' ".neon."

Movies
I watched a lot of movies this year, but strangely enough I don't remember watching too many movies from this year. The three that come to mind are The Town, Inception and The Expendables. All three were fantastic movies, but movie of the year would definitely have to go to Inception. Even though it is filled with logical fallacies, it is a complete mindfuck to watch and is enjoyable from beginning to end.

Video Games
2010 was very good to gamers. We saw tons of huge blockbuster releases, and plenty of lower budget games that were filled with innovation. My favorite game of the year was hands-down Mass Effect 2. I was a huge fan of the original, and before that a huge fan of Star Wars KOTOR and Jade Empire, so I naturally have a bias towards Bioware games. But the point remains, Mass Effect 2 is just an amazing game. Fantastic story and polished gameplay were at the forefront, but let's not forget the revamped RPG elements that make the game much more accessible while still having the central experience unchanged. I am really excited for the third entry which should be coming out at the end of this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25348
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:01 pm

It was a decent year for the media, movies were a bit weak though.

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11170
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

you forgot AT THE EDGE OF TIME!!!!! solid list though

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10672
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm

DIO died tho... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
LOR

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

ImendiaBurzum wrote:
DIO died tho... Sad

and like 100000000 others Sad

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25348
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Mike Portnoy is with A7X

LOR

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 pm

i think he tried going back to dream theater but they wouldnt let him back i head XD

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 in Review   

Back to top Go down

2010 in Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1