Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10720
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

All right, I've been pretty lazy up until now, so it's time to review the albums I listened to in 2010. Didn't listen to nearly as much new albums as I did last year but whatever. 1-10 scale, 5 being average.

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit

Jeez, I don't know where to start with this album. This is the fourth full length album by one of my favorite bands of all time. The album has pretty awesome production and I thoroughly enjoy it. Into the Painted Grey and The Watcher's Monolith are great tracks and the album overall is solid, but it still doesn't FEEL like an Agalloch album. Still pretty damn good though, maybe I just need to listen to it a lot more. 9/10

Alcest - Écailles de lune

Alcest being Alcest is the best way to describe this album. Has pretty much the same vibe that Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde had, except heavier. Should check it out regardless if you're already an Alcest fan or new to the band. 8.5/10

Ares Kingdom - Incendiary

Eh, solid death/thrash I suppose, but nothing too exciting. 6.5/10

Atheist – Jupiter

And now one of the biggest disappointments of the year. I was initially really excited about the return of Atheist, but as more and more info was revealed I started to become more and more skeptical. Awful production throughout, disconnected ideas, technicality for the sake of technicality, this album was just plain bad. Like I actually feel bad for Atheist at this point. 2/10

Bastard Priest – Under the Hammer of Destruction

Death metal goodness all up in here. Strong Swede death influence, lots of cool melodies, killer riffs, and nice production. Vocals could have been a bit better but I suppose they fit. 8/10

Blasphemophagher - …For Chaos, Obscurity and Desolation…

Discovered this band either early last year or late 09, and they quickly become one of my favorite bands. So when this album came out, I was really excited to check it out... and... yeah. It's still an awesome album and stuff, but it's missing... something. Maybe I just need to listen to it more idk. 8/10

Blood of Kingu - Sun in the House of the Scorpion

Really awesome and powerful sounding black metal that mixes some tribal sounds into their music. Drums sounds so awesome here, and you can actually hear the bass too! Damn good release, you should check it out. 9/10

Borknagar – Universal

Another disappointing album, but not as much as Atheist's. The first track is pretty damn catchy and all, and I love Vortex's guest vocals, but aside from that the album is kinda boring. 4/10

Burial Invocation - Rituals of the Grotesque (EP)

Fucking sick as fuck death metal. Love pretty much everything about this EP aside form the fact that it's an EP. The production alone is heavy enough to crush small children within 10 feet of the audio source. Can't wait for a full length by these guys. 9/10

Burzum – Belus

This album was probably the biggest surprise of 2010. The production is raw, but not the shitty kind of raw. Reminds me of like maybe burring yourself in snow for warmth. Sure it's “warm” but still cold at the same time, ya know? Lots of great riffs in the album, and awesome vocals. Like holy shit. These aren't the vocals of some kid trying to sound like a parrot anymore, no, these are the vocals of an old man who lives out in the forest and hates everything. The only weak track is Sverddans but it's under 3 minutes long, so whatever. One of my favorite albums of the year. 9.5/10

Chronic Decay - Justify Your Existence

Technically this album is from 1994, but it wasn't released until last year. The band is from Sweden yet you wouldn't really be able to tell because it lacks that Swede feel but whatever. Solid death/thrash stuff here, with lots of awesome riffs. Really angry sounding record. 8/10

Darkthrone – Circle the Wagons

I AM THE GRAVE OF THE 80S!!! Fun and catchy new Darkthrone style stuff. Leans more toward trad metal than their previous two albums but it still has the same feel. Solid album overall. 7.5/10

Deathspell Omega – Paracletus

After quite a few listens, I think I “get” this album. There's lots of things going on here, maybe a bit too many. I really like when the music gets “melodic” because it adds character to the whole chaotic sound of the album. One MAJOR drawback of this album is that you really have to pay attention to what's going on, or else you'll think it's just a bunch of noise. It's not DSO's best effort by a long-shot, but it's still worth a listen. 7/10

Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance

Brutal death metal that doesn't suck lulz. Uh, it has some cool bits here and there, but it isn't too much of my thing though. I'll give it a spin every so often though. 7/10

Electric Wizard – Black Mass

Was somewhat disappointed with the album when I first heard it, but it has grown on me since then. Main disappointment is that prior to this album, I had only heard Dopethrone and this didn't sound like it. After I got over that though, it turned out to be a fairly decent Sabbath-y stoner doom album. 7.5/10

Enforcer – Diamonds

Really awesome trad metal, pretty much what White Wizzard wanted to be and better. Lots of sweet riffs, melodies, vocals, you name it. This is trad done right, hell I can't even tell it came out just last year. 8.5/10

Fleshgod Apocalypse – Mafia (EP)

Another surprising release because I didn't car too much for their full length album, yet I found myself genuinely liking this little EP. Four original songs and a decent cover song as well, good production, and they mesh some clean vocals and other shit and it actually works. 8/10

Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (EP)

A truly stellar work by a one man project. Pretty similar to Agalloch but different enough to be regarded as more than a clone. Great melodies, production, riffs, catchyness, this EP has it all. The only problem I have with it is that it's only an EP and I want to hear more. 10/10

GoatPenis - Biochemterrorism

Melodic war metal? Lulz. But besides that novelty, it's kinda meh really. There's better stuff out there. 5/10

Hail of Bullets – On Divine Winds
AUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! 8/10

Ihsahn – After

It's better than angL but that isn't saying too much. He should go back to doing black metal because this prog stuff ain't cutting it. Cool use of sax though. I'll give him that. 6.5/10

Immolation – Majesty and Decay

Another extremely solid album by Immolation. If you like their previous material, you will like this as well. 8.5/10

Hour of Penance – Paradogma

Another decent output by this Brutal Death metal band. Sounds like they took a more Nile/Behemoth-ish sound on this album, which isn't a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either. Either way, it's a good album and worthy of a listen. 7.5/10

Immortal – All Shall Fall

Ehhhh, hype hurt them a lot really. Sounds a lot like I if you're familiar with Abbath's side project. Not a bad album per se, but they certainly could have done a lot better. 6.5/10

Interment – Into the Crypts of Blasphemy

Swedish death metal. That's literally all there is to say. 7.5/10

Kerasphorus - Cloven Hooves At The Holocaust Dawn (EP)

US Black/Death metal composed of mostly members from Canadian bands. It's also somewhat of a supergroup as well but whatever. Anyway, gritty but decent production, relentless riffs, and awesome vocals. A pretty awesome release over all. Such as shame that the band broke up right after it was released. 8/10

Les Discrets - Septembre et ses Dernieres Pensées

Shoegaze/Black Metal-y stuff, really relaxing and soothing. No harsh vocals either, but the clean singing is really good. Probably one of my favorite lay down and relax albums. 8.5/10

Nechochwen – Azimuths to the Other World

Neo-Folk/Acoustic mixed with some black metal and stuff. It's mostly the former, but that is in no way a bad thing. Lots of great melodies, vocals, and it's overall pretty soothing; guitar-work is surprisingly complex and the drums sometime have a jazzy feel. Good album. 8/10

Nocturnal Blood - Devastated Graves - The Morbid Celebration

WAR FUCKING METAL! This album brings everything you would want in a war metal album: crunchy production, riffs, bestial vocals, riffs, riffs, awesome drumming, riffs, gas masks, and bullet belts. Sure it may not be the most groundbreaking release of all time, but it does what it does extremely well. 9.5/10

The Rigor Mortis

Pretty standard goregrind/brutal death stuff. Nothing amazing, but not bad either. Solid overall but the bass can get annoying. 6.5/10

Rome - Nos Chants Perdus

It's REALLY hard not to compare this album with Flowers from Exile, but whatever. This album took a much darker tone that Flowers from Exile, but what it gained in that regard it lost in catchiness. Still an awesome album, but somewhat did not live up to expectations. 8.5/10

Sigh – Scenes from Hell

Probably one of the first albums I heard last year. Although I don't like it nearly as much as I did initially, it's still a fairly decent album, though not nearly their best. Cool use of brass and string instruments though, sounds like the metal version of a Godzilla soundtrack. 7/10

Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits

Probably one of the most consistent bands around, these guys can just churn out music every year and I'd be happy with that. Pretty much everything you would expect and want in a Slough Feg record. Even if you haven't heard this band before, The Animal Spirits (and pretty much every other album they've released aside form the s/t) is a good starting point to get familiar with the band. 9/10

Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

Probably one of my most anticipated albums of last year, and it did not disappoint. Feels like a heavier and more diverse continuation of the sound heard on Celtic Frost's Monotheist, and I'll say it did a better job than Monotheist as well. Really great production, and ti switched between thrashy riffs and roomy stuff, with a little bit of goth doom stuff thrown in there as well sometimes. Solid albu, though it is a bit on the long side. 8.5/10

Vasaeleth - Crypt Born & Tethered To Ruin

Seems that 2010 was the year of Incantation worshiping death metal. Pretty much the music itself can't go wrong if you follow this formula, so it all depends on how awesome the riffs, vocals and production are, and boy are they awesome. Crunchy riffs, suffocating production, pretty much everything you would want from a band of this style. 9/10

Von Goat - Septic Illumination

Found out about this band when I got into Von earlier last year, and I expected something similar to them. I was wrong, but pleasantly surprised. Sounds like a more melodic Profanatica with some other stuff going on as well. Production is kinda murky but it works. 8/10

Vulture Industries - The Malefactor's Bloody Register

The thing I liked about Vulture Industries was that they sounded like La Masqurade Infernale era Arcturus. This album does not. It's still all right, but it just isn't my thing. 6.5/10

The Wakedead Gathering - Tenements of Ephemera

Incantation-ish death metal here, but nothing too amazing. If you like Incantation then you will like these guys, if not, then... maybe idk. 7/10

Weapon – From the Devil's Tomb

Really surprised I didn't find out about this band a lot sooner. They play a very melodic blend of death/black metal, so it's brutal and grim yet catchy and shit like that. Lots of memorable riffs and drumming, plus the melodic parts are pretty damn awesome. 8.5/10

White Wizzard - Over the Top

Pretty sure this will be the most well known of the albums I reviewed, but whatever. I like the tittle track and some other stuff here and there... but that's about it. Get's kinda same-y after a while and that's when I start to lose interest. Good vocalist though. 6.5/10

Winterwolf – Cycle of the Werewolf

Swedish death metal with Antti Boman on back-up vocals. That's pretty much all that needs to be said, get this ASAP! 9/10

Züül - Out of Time

Looks like 2010 was a good year for trad metal revival. Solid album and worth a listen if you're a fan of trad. 8/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25285
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Solid year

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 pm

yeah, but there were some disappointments and 09 was A LOT better. Hopefully 2011 will bring in some awesome material though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11323
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

I made him listen to White Wizzard. cheers

I like them. They're a blatantly fun band. Apparently they have a new vocalist now though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 pm

I like their singles, but then their other songs sound exactly like their singles. If you want a decent modern trad band, listen to Slough Feg or Brocas Helm instead (and Enforcer too actually)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25285
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 pm

New Burzum album to hit up yo

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15988
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 am

I thought 2010 was a pretty great year for music overall. And I agreed with most of your reviews (at least for the albums I was familiar with)

I kinda understand what you said about Marrow not feeling like an Agalloch album. I think it was more of a return since Ashes though. Ashes, while fantastic, didn't have the Agalloch vibe at all for me.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, Ashes was the first Agalloch album I heard and I feel like it was a continuation of their sound, so the whole dark black metally neofolky stuff threw me off guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

The Mantle was the first Agalloch album I heard, and it's definitely my favorite. It's the standard I hold all of their material to. I love Agalloch even more though because they don't release the same sound over and over. Each album has it's own feel and it keeps things really fresh and exciting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm

I just realized I got negative repped for this Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 am

Why would someone give you minus rep? thats fucking retarded

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11323
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am

Was Kur around by any chance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 2953
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:51 am

i evened up the rep, i enjoyed reading them especially this:

Quote :
Fleshgod Apocalypse – Mafia (EP)

Another surprising release because I didn't car too much for their full length album

I was reading it & i was thinking you didn't drive with the album too much & then i had a wtf moment then i realized you mispelled care. Yeah i just got off work & im tired lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm

I more or less agree with you except I'd give Paracletus 9/10: it sounds like the logical progression to Fas. It isn't an easy listen by anymeans, but with decent headphones/speakers it sounds amazing if you give it your full attention.

I was really surprised by Blood of Kingu: the previous album is just about the worst thing Roman has done, but boy did he pull things back: great record.
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5449
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 am

On Divine Winds is in my top 5 of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review    

Back to top Go down

Taxer's Awesome and Super Late 2010 Album Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1