Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Fri May 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Normal natural disasters are floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes and being prepared for disaster means being ready for any type of emergency -- including zombies. On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention blogged about preparing for disaster and reminded readers that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, basic preparedness will help even if there are flesh-eaters roaming.

The CDC recommends that planning ahead for zombies is really no different than preparing for other types of disaster. The same basic principles apply.

Planning ahead for any type of disaster or emergency requires the same basic items: Food (nonperishable of course) and water (one gallon per day per person), medications (both over the counter and prescription medications), tools and supplies (basic stuff like utility knives, duct tape, radio, flashlights, batteries, etc.), sanitation and hygiene (soap, shampoo, bleach, feminine products, towels and lots of toilet paper), clothing and bedding (extra clothes for every family member, blankets), important documents (copies of birth certificates, social security cards, driver's licenses, insurance cards, etc.), first aid supplies.

As with any other emergency, in the event of zombies you should have an emergency plan that includes evacuation plans and a safe place to get away from the zombies.

According to the CDC blog, if a zombie apocalypse breaks out, the CDC will investigate the event just like they would any other disease outbreak. CDC investigation and assistance would include "consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine)." Just like any other disease outbreak, the CDC would try to determine where and how the outbreak started and would make every effort to determine how to best deal with an outbreak of zombies.

Learning the source of the infection would include discovering if a virus or toxin caused the outbreak and if there is any treatment or cure.

The CDC encourages citizens to be prepared for any emergency event--whether it is zombies or the more common hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes. Emergency planning for zombies will also suffice in the event of such natural disasters but as always the CDC urges everyone to be ready for whatever might a hazard and disruption of our daily lives.

It is good to know the CDC is willing to take the time to address the concerns of the public rather than scoff at the idea of a zombie apocalypse. Even more so, anyone who is prepared to face zombies is ready to deal with whatever Mother Nature chooses to throw their way, so it's all good.

Tamara L. Morris is certified as a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) member and is a trained Skywarn Stormspotter through the National Weather Service. She has received interpretive training regarding the New Madrid Seismic Zone through EarthScope -- a program of the National Science Foundation. She researches and writes about earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes and other natural phenomena.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11329
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sat May 21, 2011 4:42 pm

That. Is. Fantastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun May 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Zombie Eliminator

Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11113
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun May 22, 2011 3:29 pm

not perfect- no machete attached, but im buying it

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun May 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Someone needs to just make a real life Lancer. How hard can it be? Assault rifle of choice + chainsaw = zombie paste
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm

im a fan of the gun that shoots swords that explode on impact...that also injects poison.

you get shot, stabbed, exploded and poisoned at the same time.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 pm

And sets them on fire too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 am

good point

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm

All good points .. A must make gun ..
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 am

someone better fucking make it... or else

oldmothercath
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 30
Hedonistic Glory : 2325
Joined In : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 pm

I am so happy that someone is finally taking the Zombie situation seriously! What about the Vampires though? eh? They are as big a threat if not bigger than any zombies! They latch on and just bleed you dry. (we call them kids here!)

'More serious OMC brain in now'

I really hope that all you folks over in the States are safe and sound and stay that way. I felt guilty that your President and his wife were on a State visit over here, when the disasters hit. We sort of love to make a huge deal when it's a State Visit! Don't give a damn if there are people losing their homes, Americans to Tornados/British to Banks as long as the Queen gets the best bling out! That said I don't really think that the First Couple could have stopped the disaster anymore than we can stop an Icelandic volcano erupting.
I cringed 2 days ago watching local news when a stupid, self centred and completely insane woman missing her holiday plane was demanding that our Government should do something about the volcano!
Still trying to figure out how/what she wants our government to do to stop the volcano. Answers on a postcard to............... Our airspace is open now and one can only hope now she has left our country that a bigger ash cloud keeps the Darwin Award wannabe out for a good few months! :rofl:

anyway as I said hope everyones okay!

Cath x
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Obama was already on his way over there when the Tornado hit methinks, I don't know what anyone could do other than charity right now, and helping rebuild homes. ;/ There was a tornado watch in the area I'm currently staying at, I was freaking out. No

Anyway, Did you guys all know about the origin of zombies? Apparently there was a guy giving hobos this medicine called zombie which puts people in a coma and he buries them, when they ger out of their coma they dig themselves out and he makes them work in his fields or whatever. Well this is what my friend told me (I probably worded it wrong), but they looked dead or something and this was all from some documentary or whatever
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5455
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Fri May 27, 2011 4:05 pm

oldmothercath wrote:
I am so happy that someone is finally taking the Zombie situation seriously! What about the Vampires though? eh? They are as big a threat if not bigger than any zombies! They latch on and just bleed you dry. (we call them kids here!)

'More serious OMC brain in now'

I really hope that all you folks over in the States are safe and sound and stay that way. I felt guilty that your President and his wife were on a State visit over here, when the disasters hit. We sort of love to make a huge deal when it's a State Visit! Don't give a damn if there are people losing their homes, Americans to Tornados/British to Banks as long as the Queen gets the best bling out! That said I don't really think that the First Couple could have stopped the disaster anymore than we can stop an Icelandic volcano erupting.
I cringed 2 days ago watching local news when a stupid, self centred and completely insane woman missing her holiday plane was demanding that our Government should do something about the volcano!
Still trying to figure out how/what she wants our government to do to stop the volcano. Answers on a postcard to............... Our airspace is open now and one can only hope now she has left our country that a bigger ash cloud keeps the Darwin Award wannabe out for a good few months! :rofl:

anyway as I said hope everyones okay!

Cath x

Vampires? HA! I've got a silver stiletto just waiting to be coated in garlic extract.

Now zombies on the other hand. Much bigger problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 pm

zombies are def a bigger problem. unless all the vampires are wesley snipes. then we are fucked fo sho

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11697
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm

LOR wrote:
zombies are def a bigger problem. unless all the vampires are wesley snipes. then we are fucked fo sho

Tru dat bro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 30, 2011 12:17 pm

LOR wrote:

We should all dress like cowboys, ride horses and follow the sunsut... foreverrrr.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 30, 2011 2:50 pm

lost me there senrae

Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4790
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Titties.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 pm

good thread makes sense

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 am

LOR wrote:
lost me there senrae
If vampires try to snipe us then they wouldn't be able to bear sniping us when we are in the sun. :o So we never see nighttime to have problems with vampires.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 am

ahhh.... i wouldnt have expected me to follow that

oldmothercath
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 30
Hedonistic Glory : 2325
Joined In : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Oh right some of you don't live in the dark! I get that. I used to sleep at nights too! over here in Scotland we call the zombies 'people' well kinda. The proper designation is NED (non educated delinquent) Probably another stupid treaty we signed back in 666AD! Over here it is definitely the creatures of the night most people ain't ready for we really need to prepare for! Doesn't help when tv decides to mux ip vampirelore a bit!

What can I say I lost sight of the last horsemen and let the door slam behind me when I got here! Wasn't my faullt my punishment was human! A bit harsh but the powers that be must have their reasons, just wish I could remember what they were!

Cath x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 2959
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies   

Back to top Go down

CDC Recommends Preparing for All Disasters -- Even Zombies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1