Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15989
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL   Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:17 am

I went with one of my buddies up to Chicago for my birthday as a little self-gift for my birthday, and met our own Portrait of Sanity there. It was my first time ever driving myself to Chicago, so that was a little intimidating, but we ended up getting there and back with minimal stabwounds. We got to the venue and there were a few metalheads all congregating outside, smoking and talking about whatever. The first thing I noticed was how good the crowd looked. No scene kids or hipsters to be found. It was actually slightly disappointing because I was looking forward to laying out a few scene kids who tried to hardcore dance to black metal. But anyway, onto the actual review!

Hod
I'd never heard of them before, but I looked them up before the show. They sounded decent in recordings but they actually put on a pretty good show. Nothing spectacular, but very high energy and they had a great sound. They warmed up the audience which was their job as an opener. Overall, a very solid blackened death metal band. 7/10

Panzerfaust
We actually missed a lot of their set, We had stepped out for a smoke after Hod's set and ended up getting something to eat at the restaurant next door, and when we came back they had about two or three songs left. They were honestly pretty disappointing from what I heard, I was anticipating some brutal war metal. I only really observed two things, and that was that their vocalist was scary as fuck, and that their backup vocalist sounded ten times better. 5/10

Black Anvil
I had ran out of cigarettes, so in between sets we thought "Hey! Maybe if we walk a few blocks we will find a convenience store and can buy some!" A few blocks turned into a bit more, and by the time we found a place that both sold smokes and was open it had been a good half hour. Regrettably we missed the entire Black Anvil set, which really disappointed me.

Aura Noir
I'm still convinced these guys stole the show. As a huge fan of blackened thrash metal, I was really looking forward to their set, and they did not disappoint. We were discussing before the set the no moshing rule that Reggie's has, but after about the second song there was a decent sized group of people breaking that rule and I just had to jump in. I ended up getting my face smashed by someone's elbow, but hey, concert injuries are the best. I just hope my braces aren't too fucked up. But in all honesty, these guys fucking ruled live. It was heavy, fast and brutal. When their set was over I didn't know how Marduk could possibly top them. 9.5/10

Marduk
I came into the concert being most familiar with Aura Noir, but I was also a pretty big fan of Marduk's work, most notably their albums Opus Nocturne, Panzer Division Marduk and Wormwood. I didn't think they could possibly top Aura Noir, which made it that much more incredible to me that they put on such an awesome show. Mortuus, their vocalist, sounded great live and they played many of my favorite tracks, including Materialized in Stone (one of my favorite black metal tracks of all time.) Soon the mosh continued into Marduk's set, alongside chants, fistpumps and horns galore. After their set, I couldn't possibly pick between them and Aura Noir. 9.5

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL   Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:54 am

I missed this show, it was in Cleveland and I was busy moving into my apartment and so many other things! Sad I would have loved to see Aura Noir live.
I remember I wasn't a fan of Marduk until I saw them live, they put on a good show methinks, Mortuus is really awesome.

...Sorry you missed Black Anvil. D:

Nice show review, Axe!
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11108
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL   Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Axe wrote:

Black Anvil
I had ran out of cigarettes, so in between sets we thought "Hey! Maybe if we walk a few blocks we will find a convenience store and can buy some!" A few blocks turned into a bit more, and by the time we found a place that both sold smokes and was open it had been a good half hour. Regrettably we missed the entire Black Anvil set, which really disappointed me.

thats why you should quit smoking

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11324
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL   Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Sounds awesome! I really need to go to another concert soon. I haven't been to one since Sabaton last October.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL   

Back to top Go down

Marduk, Aura Noir, Black Anvil, Panzerfaust and Hod @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1