Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11327
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 pm

So I've been looking forward to this concert for a loooong time. My best friend is a massive Foos obsessive and bought tickets as soon as they were released to go down to London to the Milton Keynes Bowl. The trip was quite good. Went off without too much of a hitch. First thing that hit me was that it's definitely the biggest concert I've ever been to. The Bowl is massive. I was kinda surprised by the sheer amount of people there. We managed to secure ourselves places VERY close to the stage anyway besides another 65,000 people jostling for positions.

The Hot Rats were the only band I had never heard of on the bill and it turns out they were a cover band who put a kinda indie-ish, White Stripes-esque kinda twist on songs. They weren't anything special to be completely honest. I got bored after the second song. Thankfully they didn't wear it out too long and only played for around 20-30 minutes.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly looking forward to Jimmy Eat World. I'd only heard a few songs from them and while I liked them I didn't think they'd be the kind of band I'd like enough to see live. They were fucking great though. The frontman was amazingly charismatic and the songs I hadn't heard were actually really good. I've been inspired to listen to them more in depth after this. Great performance.

Now it was time for Biffy Clyro...this was were the show REALLY started. Before the came on I noticed more and more people swarming into the standing area. As soon as they kicked off with The Captain...hell basically broke lose. It was INSANE. Mosh pits broke out EVERYWHERE. I never exactly thought of Biffy as a band to mosh to really...but the performance was just so perfect and energetic it seemed right! I can see how some of their older fans are becoming annoyed at them though. The setlist consisted of nearly the entire Only Revolutions album and about 3 other songs....I didn't midn though. I loved every second. Biffy have definitely been solidified in my mind as one of the few brilliant mainstream rock bands.

Anyway, I thought Biffy was insane....I had no fucking idea. The second Foo Fighters came on stage the entire field became one giant mosh pit. I can't even stress how absolutely fucking chaotic it was. It kept going and didn't stop until they'd played their third song. During that time I'd become seperated from my friend multiple times, had several points where I thought I was genuinely about to pass out and lost my shoes...both of them!! And I still had another hour and a half to go. The rest of the concert was absolutely amazing. Dave Grohl was every bit the charismatic showman I expected him to be, they played perefectly and the setlist was very varied covering each point in their career more or less equally. Most of my favourite songs were played as well as most of the new Wasting Light album, which I think is their best yet. It turned out to be a LONG concert. They were on stage for around 2 hours and their encore was 6 songs long, during which they brought on Seasick Steve and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin to do a song. It was rather epic. The finale of Everlong is something I'll never forget. Despite being nearly a corpse by the end and having to be carried out due to my feet being nearly crushed, definitely the best concert I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11111
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41 pm

sounds like a gogol bordello concert- on the physicallity level at least. glad u had fun

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:02 pm

It's not. I can't even describe how insane it was and do it justice. You'd have to be in the middle of it to have any idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:19 pm

yeah then you obviously have not been to a gogol bordello concert. cuz thats what i would say to you. even though physical evidence would also probably work to describe it but once again. its like what u described. lost clothing (i havent lost anything yet after the 6 times ive seen them but it will happen). this includes shirts, shoes, glasses, i almost lost my pants.... The amount of work sounds about the same. its like the most intense exercise ever for an hour and half making sure no one kills or tramples you in the name of Eugene Hutz. i like to stay up front so im getting crushed the entire time because for some reason the people at the front are crammed together so tightly if you jump at the wrong second your feet may not touch the ground for a minute or two because people crush you midair and keep you suspended. the things to look out for are the random times the entire crowd (no idea how this happens its like the domino effect) falls. the people toward the end get crushed. I almost broke my leg. my friend almost had his arm broken. in moshpits where people usually help u up if you fall, in this no one can help you up because everyone is on the floor and trying to get up at the same time. they also dont fuck around with encores and half basically like another set for an encore. at the end everybody sweats, or absorbs everyone elses sweart, to the point where everyone looked like the jumped into a swimming pool with their clothes own. the grimiest and most glorious thing ever. i hug people i dont know because of how happy i am at the end. the usualy crowd surfers are also to look out for but everyone knows them... i always fucking get kicked in the face... but i love it. needs to happen at least once. AND THEN once i take the train home from new york with my friend, we get to the garage in new jersey, realize we have a freakin flat tire, need to get assistance from people in back in PA in 3 in the morning, then we get back home at like never...

I realize this may be a normal concert experience, but ive been to many and there is nothing i have witness as intense as these shows which is why i go seem every single time they come over

so yeah. go see gogol. then compare, from what you described though, it sounds about the same.

Last edited by LOR on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 pm

One guy was crowd surfing....in a boat...it was absolutely beautiful...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:34 pm

he sounds like the best person ever

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

You edited that! It was like 2 lines before!

He got White Limo dedicated to him...I wanted to be him...

Legend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 pm

he got carried all the way back though... that blows a bit

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 pm

He kept going back and forward for literally the entire show. It was amazing. I love how he must've planned it and thought to himself "You know what? I'm gonna bring a boat to this concert."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 pm

yeah lol

GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4004
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:08 pm

This is my only concert memory. It was at a Tom Petty/Crosby, Stills, & Nash show last year. That guy was skipping around all damn night. I'm pretty sure the BB King/Buddy Guy show next month will be even more mellow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm

There's always one slightly crazy but amazingly entertaining guy at concerts. I remember a guy at Trivium who was stoned out his fucking mind and just kept wandering around the pit all spaced out and facing the wrong way every time he cheered. It was amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review   

Back to top Go down

Foo Fighters/Biffy Clyro/Jimmy Eat World/Hot Rats Live Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1