Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11384
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review   Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 pm

You don't have to know me very well to know how much I was looking forward to this concert. Maiden are my absolute favourite band, second to none. So this was close to religious experience for me. I've been to several concerts at the SECC and it's a very good venue; big but not on the ridiculous scale of arenas where you're lucky if you can even see the band. Perfect for seeing a band like Maiden that demands at least a relatively big venue. We made sure to get there at least several hours before the doors opened, which ended up paying off because we got very very close to the stage with only about 3 lines of people between us and the stage.

Yeah, they sound exactly like AC/DC. Yeah, they're not original in the slightest. Yeah, they really don't deserve the popularity they get. But say what you will about them...Airbourne are an IMMENSE live band. All 4 of them were like hamsters on crack throughout the entire set and still managed to play incredibly well. They went down extremely well with the Maiden fans. Moshing broke out immediately (my 14 year old brother started one of the first ones...I've never been so proud) and intensely. I admit despite the obvious criticisms, I have a bit of a soft spot for Airbourne. Some ramped up AC/DC, while it may not be original, is a hell of a lot of fun. It was so intense that about 3 songs in, I have no idea how, but I ended up passing out and having to make a break for first aid. It turned out to be nothing serious and I was fine after sitting down for a few minutes but it did mean that I missed most of their set. Still, one insane band. Whatever your opinion of them, if you get the chance, see them live.

After finally forcing my way through the crowd back to my group, it was soon time for Maiden to come on stage. They opened with the obvious choice of Satellite 15... The Final Frontier. One criticism I have to grudgingly make is that the Satellite 15 intro was a little too long and I found myself wishing they'd just get into The Final Frontier. Once they did though....oh man was it good. After I saw Foo Fighters a few weeks ago I thought I'd seen the best concert I'd ever been to...well I hadn't seen anything yet. Words cannot even describe how incredible it was. It's one thing to see them on video and remark at how good they are, but something else completely to see it only metres in front of you. I don't know if it was due to how close we were but it felt like an unusually intimate gig. The stage they played on seemed so much smaller than what I'd seen them on before. Their set consisted on about a 50/50 split of old and new material, but all were welcome. I was a surprising but brilliant moment when they played the 11 minute When The Wild Wind Blows, my favourite song from the latest album. Highlight of the set was undeniably when they played Hallowed Be They Name. I'm not kidding when I say it was one of the best performances I've ever seen them give. It was at this point about halfway through the song I just completely and totally broke down. I've never cried at a concert and never thought I would but seeing them play that song was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I managed to pull myself together a little more once they came back on stage for an encore of Number Of The Best and Running Free. An incredible end to and incredible night. As a nice bonus I'm pretty sure I came out of there with a few new friends. I didn't know most of the people I went with that well but they were all incredibly welcoming and nice to me. Maiden have definitely solidified themselves for years to come as my favourite band after this. Epic doesn't come close to describing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11752
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review   Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Bastard : P
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4061
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review   Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I really wish I could see them live sometime. Unfortunately, they don't tour in the US as often as other bands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11384
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review   Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sure there'll be back round to the US at some point in the near future. Go see them or I can't talk to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review   

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden/Airbourne Live Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1