Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25402
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm

I've been on reddit for a while now, but I'm using a throw away account for what will soon become obvious reasons. I really need to get this off my chest.

Disclaimer: some of the details in this post have been fudged, so that nobody can link this to my real account.

About 6 months ago, my wife and I bought a house to make room for our expanding family. It's an old house, built in the 1950's, but it was just freshly remodeled, in fact they were still putting down the carpet when we walked through the first time. They seem to have replaced everything but the plumbing and the wiring.

One day about 4 weeks ago, we had a small leak in the water line that leads into the ice maker in the fridge. Because there was no cutoff next to the fridge, I had to go into the basement, and then into the crawlspace to shut off the water at the source so that I could repair the leak. The crawlspace is quite large actually about (20ftx30ft), and it slopes down towards the street so that you can stand fully upright in the deep end.

There are some grates along the walls (for ventilation maybe?) that let in enough light so that I didn't need a flashlight to see what I was doing. Anyways, I get down to the deep end where the main water cutoff is, and I turn it quickly to stop the leaking upstairs. I take a minute while I am down there to just look around. I was considering bringing some of the Christmas stuff to store down there, and while I was daydreaming I was picking at the edge of a rock sticking out of the dirt with my foot. I get my foot underneath an edge and I pop the thing out of the ground. It rolls a couple feet. It's not a rock. It's a motherfucking skull. Jesus mother fucking christ, I can not describe to you how surreal the situation was. I scurried out of the crawlspace, and went back into the living area of the house.

I spent the next few minutes just pacing back and forth cursing to myself in disbelief. My first thought was that I should call the cops. But then I imagined what would happen. They would show up, kick us out of our house for God knows how long, tear up the floors and walls looking for evidence or something, and then probably interrogate us. I don't know if any of that is true, it was just what was going through my head at the time.

Right then, I made the dumbest fucking decision anybody has ever made.

I got a trowel and a trash bag and I went back down there and dug up the rest of this person and shoved the remains in the bag. I don't remember a lot of it, it must have been the adrenaline or something. I just remember being terrified of getting caught if my wife got back from the store before I was done, and I remember that the bones weren't the same color I thought they would be, I had always seen them as white on TV.

And for my master plan: I put the bag in the trash. Really. I put it in our garbage can and rolled it to the street, trash pickup was the next morning. My wife could easily tell something was bothering me when she got home, but I just told her I was pissed about the leak and she bought it.

I slept absolutely zero that night. I kept looking out the window at the trash can to see if... I don't know... anything would happen.

The next morning, the trash truck came, picked up my garbage can with its mechanical arm, dumped the contents into the back with all the other trash, and went on its way. I didn't get much sleep for the next couple weeks either. I kept expecting the cops to roll up after finding the bones and somehow linking it back to me.

I still can't relax completely though, knowing that I'm basically an accomplice to murder. Somebody who lived in my house, at some point, killed someone ( I assume, I mean why would you bury someone under your house if they died of natural causes?), and then 10/20/40 years later, I helped by hiding the body.

Update - This morning: Alright, I don't know how they did it, but someone was able to figure out who I am from this post. I don't see how it's possible. Perhaps they had known about this all along, and now just seemed like a good time to fuck with me. Because when I went out my front door this morning there was a small animal skull sitting on my doormat. I kicked it into the bushes so my wife wouldn't see. When I got down to the driveway, there was another one on the hood of my car. Whoever this is that did this, assuming you are reading this, I don't have very much money, I mean, I can give you some, just please stop, and don't tell anyone.

When I got home from work yesterday I took a walk around my house to see if anything else was "left for me" like the skulls on my doormat and car, and I actually found quite a few (8) small animal skulls. Most of them in more subtle places. For example, one was left on our patio in the back yard. We never go back there, especially not in the heat we are having right now. But it must have been there for a while. It was partially covered in grass clippings from when I mowed the lawn a couple weeks ago.

So, I think atchaboy was right. I don't think this person found me from reddit. From all the stuff I found around my house, it looks like he has been trying to get my attention for a while, and I just didn't notice.

I took a walk with my wife around the neighborhood yesterday evening. It was really just an excuse for me to scope out the neighbors, and see if any of them could have possibly seen what happened several weeks ago. There would only be one way to see, and that is through the grate that let the light in to the crawlspace. I looked in every window of every house that we passed, and saw no telescopes. Not that it would have made a difference. I don't think anyone would be able to look through a grate from a hundred feet away and be able to tell what is going on behind it. We cut our walk short, because it was unbelievably hot outside, and I didn't protest, because I realized I wasn't going to figure out who was doing this.

I was feeling pretty hopeless until my wife reminded me that I needed to take the trash out, because the garbage gets picked up the next day. And it hit me, that's how they must have figured it out. They must have gone through my trash. I had checked out the window several times that night several weeks ago when I threw the bag out, and didn't see anything. But I wasn't watching the whole time. I needed to see if someone was going through my trash.I came up with a plan that I'm actually pretty proud of. I wouldn't be able to watch out the window the whole night because my wife would need an explanation. So I took 4 of the trash bags that I was going to put in the can, and put different colored tape on each one. I put them in the can, memorized each color's position, and rolled the can to the street.

This morning I got up early to "drop off another bag of trash before the garbage man came" and not only were the colors in different places, but there were only 3 bags with tape on them in the can. Someone is watching me, it's scary as shit, and I don't know what I can do about it.

Update: 9:15PM EST Sorry about not updating sooner. I've been quite busy...

My wife left this morning with the baby to go see her mother, she'll be gone a couple days. This gives me an excellent opportunity to take care of this problem without her figuring anything out.

I came home from work and walked around my yard. I didn't find any new skulls. Nothing was out of place, the best I can tell. I unlocked my front door and went inside. I planned to take a nap, so that I could stay up all night and try to catch this person if they came around again. So I walked down the hall and to the bedroom. As soon as I saw the trash bag on the bed, I immediately knew what was inside.

I grabbed a golf club from my bag and quickly searched the house. Whoever was there had left. And they had locked all the doors behind them.

I looked in the bag to make sure I hadn't overreacted. Nope. My reaction was appropriate. It was the very same bag that I had thrown in the garbage a few weeks ago. Everything was in there, except the skull ( I assume, I didn't count the bones).

I came up with a plan. First, I would go to the hardware store, and get ALL new locks for the house. My wife won't mind, we had been planning to do this anyway. We hadn't changed the locks after we moved in. ( I know, already, I'm stupid). I got back from the hardware store, searched the house again with the golf club in hand, and found nothing. I replaced every lock on every door.

Next, I figured "fuck this skeleton, it's been buried under my house for who knows how long. It can go back there". I'll just feign ignorance, and pretend this whole thing never happened. Like some you guys said, I probably just stumbled upon an ancient burial ground, and my neighbor is being a dick.

I hauled the bag down into the basement and into the crawlspace. It was nearly dark at this point, and I needed to get this done before dark, because if I have a light on in the crawl space, someone could see the light through the grate. So, I grab the trowel, which I had accidentally left down there, and just start digging. But apparently I wasn't digging in the same spot that I did the first time, because after about 30 seconds, my trowel hit something. It was a pair of old tennis shoes wrapped in some worn, rotten blue jeans. I didn't have time to freak out now. It was getting dark. I just set the bag on top and covered everything with dirt. I'll have to figure out how to get rid of everything tomorrow.

This is too much. I wish I had called the cops, but its too late now. My wife would never forgive me for hiding this from her, and I'm sure I would end up going to jail at this point.

Disclaimer: names have been changed to protect my identity/location.

I stayed up all night looking out my windows, and I'm absolutely exhausted. I'm running on pure caffeine at this point. I'm actually a little disappointed that nothing happened last night. Absolutely nothing. No surprises on my doorstep, and no mysterious looking characters walking through my yard.

I locked up the house and took a walk around the neighborhood again this morning at around 6 AM, looking for anything unusual. The only thing I could find is that Mr. Clarke ( I don't remember his first name), my neighbor directly across the street from me was already out and about. His car wasn't in the driveway. In fact, I never saw him leave that morning, so he must be out of town.

As I re-entered my house, I took my trusty golf club with me, and searched everything. Nothing strange. For some reason this stressed me out, I guess I just like my life to be predictable. I had the whole house to myself, and a whole weekend to do whatever, so I tried to relax and watch some tv. It didn't work, I just got more and more anxious as the day went on. I figured that I wouldn't be able to truly relax until I figure out what is going on. So I headed down into the basement, and into the crawlspace.

I thought that maybe there was something more interesting buried down there. Maybe I would find a bunch of bodies. That would actually have made me feel better; more evidence that this was just some old burial ground that was forgotten. I took my trowel and dug for hours and hours. Oh god, my back is killing me. I dug a small hole about 6 inches deep every square foot or so of the crawl space, and didn't find one fucking thing. Except of course the bag and the pants and shoes that I had put there the night before.

At this point it was about noon, and I was sore all over, and hungry and tired. I took a shower, ate a sandwich, and decided to take a nap. I figure I should sleep at least some during the day if I plan to stay up all night again tonight. I woke up a couple hours later startled. and ran around the house with my golf club, but there was nothing there. I'm not even sure if I heard anything, it may have been a dream.

New plan. Since now I know that there is nothing more of interest buried in the crawl space, I went down there again to bury this bag properly, not a mere 2 inches under ground. I dug a nice hole with the trowel, it took me about an hour, but I got down a couple feet. Dirt gets really damn hard just below the surface, I thought I would be able to dig deeper, but no. I dropped the bag in, and grabbed the jeans to drop them in, and noticed a bulge in the pocket. How could I have been so fucking dumb before, I never checked the pockets.

There was a wallet inside, with a drivers license. I ran out of the crawlspace, so I could read this in better light. It expired in 1993 , and belonged to a man named Eric Clarke.

I eventually calmed myself down. The only thing I have here is a same last name. Mr. Clarke has no mail in his mailbox, and is not listed in the phone book, so I wasn't able to find out his first name. I don't know how to figure out if this is a family member of his or not.

I just don't know what it all means. I did my best googling, and couldn't find any missing persons reports, but then again, I'm looking for a guy from the early 90's , so I'm not sure what I would find anyway. When Mr. Clarke gets back, I'm going to try and figure out what to do next. I don't want to jump to any conclusions. In the mean time, I'm loading up on coffee and getting ready to sit by the window again.

Update: I just talked to my wife on the phone, and she mentioned really fucking casually that she found a small animal skull on her car this evening. I have to go.

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11440
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 pm

This is good. Is it still ongoing or is that it done?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25402
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Still ongoing, I'll let you know if he posts more. I can't believe he didn't call the cops. I mean that is the creepiest thing you can find

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11440
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm still being the cynic saying these are all fake but I like reading them anyway regardless of if they're true or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3825
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:15 pm

I can believe finding bones in a house but the whole "someone is watching me" thing with the animal skulls is making it unreal. The neighbour is Mr. Clarke and that's the last name of the body in there? Nevertheless, creepy and it would make a good movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]   

Back to top Go down

Again, balls of steel [S/8] [G/3]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1