Tip of the Hat


 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 What stupid things did you believe as a kid?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:00 am

I used to think that when people went unconscious they stopped breathing for the entire time. This was the best way to hold your breath

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 am

Religion
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:58 am

Trill is a tormented youth

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I think it's a common stigma for people to fall into the trap that is religion: it wasn't for very long (I was 6 before my grandparents broke away from the church in contempt of the whole "we need money" tripe while dealing with a financial crisis of their own) and I can't say I have much of any recollection of the ordeal past the fact that I actually went there and didn't really know any better.

Being taught that sort of thing from an early age - that absolutes exist in this world without question - is a dangerous, disabling thing if the kid isn't smart enough. I'm not saying the world should be agnostics like me or anything, but I do think that sort of thing is best left for their own exploration.

Christianity is nevertheless a very captivating realm of thought that teaches as well as it hinders.

Funny how I say all this with my avatar being what it is.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

I think the business of Christianity is fairly positive, they should stay out of politics though

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Stupid thread turns super serious as soon as Tril comes along. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

just a small town girl...

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm taking it you never stopped believing, LOR.

No, the business of Christianity isn't positive at all. While the "do unto others" golden rule writ is evident enough in any common religion, it's hardly at all what's really practiced. You leave the idea of a forum of otherwise scholarly people to generations for it to ultimately devolve into people becoming so vapid about it to make it a hashtag on their Twitter, so all their little friends can talk about church drama or how sickeningly devoted they are compared to somebody else. Much less the fact that the Catholic mass is (and always has been as far as the educated world goes) meddling about in any and all affairs it possibly can, that LDS chap who fucked kids and inbred within his own establishment for who knows why, Mormons in general... I think somebody else did the whole eugenics thing, too.

"@auschwitz-birkenau "I told those bastards I was going to have a few of the SS cook them dinner. Boy, are they in for a surprise!" #aryan #pizzatime #3rdreichrules"



I think Christianity teaches us more of intolerance and the perverting of the mind more than anything, but that's because people are too dumb to take it at face value. It isn't because the word of God is necessarily maligned. The only people that would disagree with that sort of thing being involved in politics are zealots that wouldn't get elected (without a coup and subsequent martial law, anyway).

This is how people are made into machines, when choice is stripped of them and all they know is what is presented. Ignorance sometimes isn't bliss.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm

LIVING IN A LONELY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm



It's been too long since this was posted cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

SHE TOOK THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOING AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYWHEEEEEEEEEERE

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 pm

I really hate that song.

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm surprised you knew about Northern Kings, but I suppose they don't go out of their way to be secretive, either...

The whole Journey fandom leaves me confused. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I heart Journey.

But yeah, I'll have to go with religion on this one. That and paranormal stuff like ghosts, bigfoot, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
avatar

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4119
Reputation : 58
Joined In : 2010-06-08
Age : 23
Location : Over The Hills And Far Away

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Freddy Krueger when I was 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 pm

trilithonian wrote:
Being taught that sort of thing from an early age - that absolutes exist in this world without question - is a dangerous, disabling thing if the kid isn't smart enough. I'm not saying the world should be agnostics like me or anything, but I do think that sort of thing is best left for their own exploration.

Religious agnosticism is the only sensible position for those with at least a basic understanding of philosophy and science.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 pm

When I was 4 or 5 years old I saw a cartoon dinosaur jump really high once, and I decided to give it a try but it didn't work out so I ended up not believing I could do it.

When I was 4~6 years old I saw a skull fly at me from under my blankets and I thought it was real for a while until I realized it was just a dream that seemed very real.

I don't remember believing too many weird things, although I'm sure they were there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

I love Journey.

But I'd say religion is the big thing, but it's not that I don't believe in it now. I'm a very spiritual personal, just not necessarily religious. I just don't think people should be born into a religion or belief system. It's almost like brainwashing. When a child is that young, they will begin to believe anything you teach them. It should be up to the person when they can think and explore it on their own (I feel like I'm paraphrasing Tril's post)

Anyway, nowadays I'd consider myself a skeptical Christian/follower of Asatru. As confusing as that sounds, and as much of a contradiction it may be, it feels natural to me. The Asatru aspects are more of a... way of life. I don't believe literally in Thor running around leveling mountains with his hammer, but as the belief of my ancestors I feel the tenets are good things to live by. Especially since honor is my main virtue.

I'm a firm believer in Christ and God, but I disagree with the church and the thought of organized christianity (and religion in general.) People in the church begin to impress their will on the followers and it's a recipe for disaster. Also, I feel that religious people use church as a means for intolerance and judgment. I can't go to church in jeans and a t shirt, with my tattoos and beard and be accepted. Maybe some churches would, but many won't. Also, there is this huge hypocrisy going on within the christian dogma. The bible, as well as preachers tell the masses about these great virtues to live by, but how many followers actually live by these virtues? Not a community I want to be a part of. I will practice on my own and live how I see fit. If God decides I'm not good enough when I die, then so be it. I only do what I feel is right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat
avatar

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10506
Reputation : 94
Joined In : 2008-09-05
Age : 24
Location : Kansas!

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 am

Religion mainly, don't buy into organized stuff at least. There probably is a higher being out there, and I'd like to stay out of his buisness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 am

just a city boy...

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:19 am

LOR wrote:
just a city boy...

religion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 am

Sometimes I wonder if it's 2006 again and I'm browsing 4chan.

On a lighter note, I did believe that if you stepped on a crack (in the pavement where there would be indents), you would break your own back. I would always avoid stepping on the cracks when I was in elementary school until somebody told me not only was that a superstition, but Santa Claus wasn't real.

I never was more confused in my life.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 am

trilithonian wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it's 2006 again and I'm browsing 4chan.

On a lighter note, I did believe that if you stepped on a crack (in the pavement where there would be indents), you would break your own back. I would always avoid stepping on the cracks when I was in elementary school until somebody told me not only was that a superstition, but Santa Claus wasn't real.

I never was more confused in my life.

For me it was that drunken frat party back in '68... oh wait
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 am

Aren't you 18 or 19 or something
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:24 am

Don't worry Tim Allen exists

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
avatar

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4119
Reputation : 58
Joined In : 2010-06-08
Age : 23
Location : Over The Hills And Far Away

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:21 am

How's that supposed to help?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
avatar

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Reputation : 302
Joined In : 2008-08-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 pm

He played Santa Claus

_________________
From this moment forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 pm

BORN AND RAISED IN SOUTH DETROIT!!

Got yo back, LOR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
avatar

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11810
Reputation : 84
Joined In : 2009-03-10
Age : 26
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm

I believed in South Detroit Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:20 am

trilithonian wrote:
Aren't you 18 or 19 or something

No! That's preposterous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

HE TOOK THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOING AAAAANNNNNYYYYYYYYWHEEERRREEEEE!!!!

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
sarainadream
True Gentleman
avatar

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3827
Reputation : 19
Joined In : 2009-10-08
Age : 29
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Axe wrote:
I love Journey.

But I'd say religion is the big thing, but it's not that I don't believe in it now. I'm a very spiritual personal, just not necessarily religious. I just don't think people should be born into a religion or belief system. It's almost like brainwashing. When a child is that young, they will begin to believe anything you teach them. It should be up to the person when they can think and explore it on their own (I feel like I'm paraphrasing Tril's post)

Anyway, nowadays I'd consider myself a skeptical Christian/follower of Asatru. As confusing as that sounds, and as much of a contradiction it may be, it feels natural to me. The Asatru aspects are more of a... way of life. I don't believe literally in Thor running around leveling mountains with his hammer, but as the belief of my ancestors I feel the tenets are good things to live by. Especially since honor is my main virtue.

I'm a firm believer in Christ and God, but I disagree with the church and the thought of organized christianity (and religion in general.) People in the church begin to impress their will on the followers and it's a recipe for disaster. Also, I feel that religious people use church as a means for intolerance and judgment. I can't go to church in jeans and a t shirt, with my tattoos and beard and be accepted. Maybe some churches would, but many won't. Also, there is this huge hypocrisy going on within the christian dogma. The bible, as well as preachers tell the masses about these great virtues to live by, but how many followers actually live by these virtues? Not a community I want to be a part of. I will practice on my own and live how I see fit. If God decides I'm not good enough when I die, then so be it. I only do what I feel is right.

See I consider myself an ethical person who believes in the very very general Christian teachings of morals. Other than that, I feel no reason to believe in the Holy Trinity or God. I think the universe is organized chaos; no "being" out there decided to throw us cells on this planet. We just HAPPENED. Since there are endless universes the chances of life is quite good. I think people I care about are special but human beings are not a special case. When people ask why things go wrong and someone says "It's God's will" it makes me rage. Why does there have to be a being floating around for people to feel like their life has meaning? Give it your own meaning. Almost every Christian/Catholic I know just picks parts of the Bible to reinforce and let shape their lives and totally ignore other parts that don't fit their life style or are too ancient of thought. If you believe the Bible is the word of God, why be so selective? Christianity hyjacked many Pagan images, celebrations, etc and basically took over. It's amazing how humans have clung to it. There are so many teachings that I cannot stand. Even so, there is no point arguing about religion; there is no "winning". No one knows who is right; faith is heavily involved. I favour scientifical explainations but even science changes its postions on things all the time after new discoveries. People are scared of death and it is natural to want to go to a "better place" when you die; its a comforting thought. Sometimes I think there may be another realm for us; that would be nice.

I believed in ghosts, magic, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:47 pm

1. Either heaven and hell exist as the only potential afterlives, or this is not the case.
2. If they do exist as the only potential afterlives, then you're either heaven-bound or hell-bound.
3. If the God of the Bible doesn't exist then there is no reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound.
4. If the God of the Bible does exist then there is a reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound. In particular, if you're a non-believer then you're hell-bound, and if you're a Christian then you may be heaven-bound.
5. Christian theology has been defended by many intelligent and devoted philosophers and other learned people, and whether or not it is likely true one can agree that it at least has more than *zero* plausibility, if not possibly /substantial/ plausibility. The creation of the cosmos, the fine tuning of the cosmos, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ are all things which support Christian theology. If Christian theology is true, then there is good reason to think heaven and hell may exist as the only potential afterlives.

In other words, you have nothing to lose by switching from being a non-believer to being a Christian, but potentially everything to lose by staying a non-believer. There are a limited number of ways you could combat this conclusion.

1. Christian theology encompassing heaven and hell as the only potential afterlives has *no* plausibility other than the fact of it being logically possible.
I already discussed why there is good reason to think it has *at least* some plausibility, if not possibly substantial plausibility.
2. Non-belief and Christian belief are not equivalent in terms of the afterlife even if the God of the Bible does not exist.
However, there is *no* good reason to believe this is the case, so we should go by the things we have at least *some* reasons to believe instead.
3. If I'm hell-bound, then changing my beliefs due to this argument will not save my soul.
The point is that you can make an /effort/ and potentially get to know God. He will decide whether your soul is worthy, but if you never try then you will never have a chance at heaven. Also a person who is heaven-bound is a person who fulfills God's will for that individual, so by desiring to be heaven-bound you are desiring to fulfill God's will in your own life. There is no good reason to believe that attempting to re-connect with God over this argument will be a fruitless endeavor, and in fact there are quite good reasons to believe the opposite is the case.
4. This argument doesn't do anything for the existence of God, and maybe I don't want to go to heaven anyway.
Hell is a place of *eternal* torment, and the simple fact of the matter is that it is a place where *no* person truly wants to belong. They may think they want to go there is they suffer a delusion, but this delusion will be punished severely.
5. I rather live this life well instead of worrying about an unlikely afterlife.
Sure you could think like this and most often end up being OKAY, but the one time that doesn't end up being the case you will pay infinitely for it. The infinite consequences combined with finite probability simply overwrites any concerns over finite matters.
6. There are other religions that say the same thing.
Then if one of them seems more plausible than that of Christian theology, go with it. At least non-belief doesn't seem to offer any advantage here. Christian theology is merely one of the best alternatives, if not the best...but it's up to you to decide.

etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 pm

A SINGER IN A SMOKEY ROOOOM!!

Totally didn't need to look up lyrics for that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 am

THE SMELL OF WINE AND CHEAP PERFUME!!!!!

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 am

sarainadream wrote:
Axe wrote:
I love Journey.

But I'd say religion is the big thing, but it's not that I don't believe in it now. I'm a very spiritual personal, just not necessarily religious. I just don't think people should be born into a religion or belief system. It's almost like brainwashing. When a child is that young, they will begin to believe anything you teach them. It should be up to the person when they can think and explore it on their own (I feel like I'm paraphrasing Tril's post)

Anyway, nowadays I'd consider myself a skeptical Christian/follower of Asatru. As confusing as that sounds, and as much of a contradiction it may be, it feels natural to me. The Asatru aspects are more of a... way of life. I don't believe literally in Thor running around leveling mountains with his hammer, but as the belief of my ancestors I feel the tenets are good things to live by. Especially since honor is my main virtue.

I'm a firm believer in Christ and God, but I disagree with the church and the thought of organized christianity (and religion in general.) People in the church begin to impress their will on the followers and it's a recipe for disaster. Also, I feel that religious people use church as a means for intolerance and judgment. I can't go to church in jeans and a t shirt, with my tattoos and beard and be accepted. Maybe some churches would, but many won't. Also, there is this huge hypocrisy going on within the christian dogma. The bible, as well as preachers tell the masses about these great virtues to live by, but how many followers actually live by these virtues? Not a community I want to be a part of. I will practice on my own and live how I see fit. If God decides I'm not good enough when I die, then so be it. I only do what I feel is right.

See I consider myself an ethical person who believes in the very very general Christian teachings of morals. Other than that, I feel no reason to believe in the Holy Trinity or God. I think the universe is organized chaos; no "being" out there decided to throw us cells on this planet. We just HAPPENED. Since there are endless universes the chances of life is quite good. I think people I care about are special but human beings are not a special case. When people ask why things go wrong and someone says "It's God's will" it makes me rage. Why does there have to be a being floating around for people to feel like their life has meaning? Give it your own meaning. Almost every Christian/Catholic I know just picks parts of the Bible to reinforce and let shape their lives and totally ignore other parts that don't fit their life style or are too ancient of thought. If you believe the Bible is the word of God, why be so selective? Christianity hyjacked many Pagan images, celebrations, etc and basically took over. It's amazing how humans have clung to it. There are so many teachings that I cannot stand. Even so, there is no point arguing about religion; there is no "winning". No one knows who is right; faith is heavily involved. I favour scientifical explainations but even science changes its postions on things all the time after new discoveries. People are scared of death and it is natural to want to go to a "better place" when you die; its a comforting thought. Sometimes I think there may be another realm for us; that would be nice.

I believed in ghosts, magic, etc.

Yeah I definitely think it's a bit ridiculous when these so-called "devout Christians" pick and choose what they want to believe. I pick and choose, but I don't identify as a Christian. I just believe what comes naturally through my experiences and through my spirituality.

Also, science annoys me to no end. I know a lot of great things come from science, but once "proven" things are disproven all the time. And they do always change their positions on certain subjects, which is just frustrating. Use science as a tool for learning, not as a basis for all of your beliefs. At least that's the way I think
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 am

VacuousReality wrote:
1. Either heaven and hell exist as the only potential afterlives, or this is not the case.
2. If they do exist as the only potential afterlives, then you're either heaven-bound or hell-bound.
3. If the God of the Bible doesn't exist then there is no reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound.
4. If the God of the Bible does exist then there is a reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound. In particular, if you're a non-believer then you're hell-bound, and if you're a Christian then you may be heaven-bound.
5. Christian theology has been defended by many intelligent and devoted philosophers and other learned people, and whether or not it is likely true one can agree that it at least has more than *zero* plausibility, if not possibly /substantial/ plausibility. The creation of the cosmos, the fine tuning of the cosmos, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ are all things which support Christian theology. If Christian theology is true, then there is good reason to think heaven and hell may exist as the only potential afterlives.

In other words, you have nothing to lose by switching from being a non-believer to being a Christian, but potentially everything to lose by staying a non-believer. There are a limited number of ways you could combat this conclusion.

1. Christian theology encompassing heaven and hell as the only potential afterlives has *no* plausibility other than the fact of it being logically possible.
I already discussed why there is good reason to think it has *at least* some plausibility, if not possibly substantial plausibility.
2. Non-belief and Christian belief are not equivalent in terms of the afterlife even if the God of the Bible does not exist.
However, there is *no* good reason to believe this is the case, so we should go by the things we have at least *some* reasons to believe instead.
3. If I'm hell-bound, then changing my beliefs due to this argument will not save my soul.
The point is that you can make an /effort/ and potentially get to know God. He will decide whether your soul is worthy, but if you never try then you will never have a chance at heaven. Also a person who is heaven-bound is a person who fulfills God's will for that individual, so by desiring to be heaven-bound you are desiring to fulfill God's will in your own life. There is no good reason to believe that attempting to re-connect with God over this argument will be a fruitless endeavor, and in fact there are quite good reasons to believe the opposite is the case.
4. This argument doesn't do anything for the existence of God, and maybe I don't want to go to heaven anyway.
Hell is a place of *eternal* torment, and the simple fact of the matter is that it is a place where *no* person truly wants to belong. They may think they want to go there is they suffer a delusion, but this delusion will be punished severely.
5. I rather live this life well instead of worrying about an unlikely afterlife.
Sure you could think like this and most often end up being OKAY, but the one time that doesn't end up being the case you will pay infinitely for it. The infinite consequences combined with finite probability simply overwrites any concerns over finite matters.
6. There are other religions that say the same thing.
Then if one of them seems more plausible than that of Christian theology, go with it. At least non-belief doesn't seem to offer any advantage here. Christian theology is merely one of the best alternatives, if not the best...but it's up to you to decide.

etc. etc.

Didn't I show you that Pascal's Wager sucks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:25 am

Speak arguments and then you'll be speaking the language I understand. What I wrote was a rough outline of an argument, and it's more than workable. It goes beyond most discussions on the matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 am

You didn't answer my question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:40 am

It's an empty claim put in the form of a question referring to a video you showed me that probably impressed you yet the idea contained in the video had already occurred to me and it's already addressed in the rough outline I formed.

Are you going to engage in rhetoric or actually disagree with one of the claims in the outline I gave?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 am

No, it was a discussion we had together and it lasted quite I while. I forgot the exact details of the discussion though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:08 am

Three strikes...you're out.

Read this if it makes you happy:
http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/pascal.htm

Of course my rough outline went beyond most of these criticisms. It is a *rough* outline though, so it needs to be fed with criticism if it's potential is to be shown more. I might make a more polished outline later. I can see where the arguments might lead...rather abstract territory. It seems I'll be going there alone though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:46 am

VacuousReality wrote:
1. Either heaven and hell exist as the only potential afterlives, or this is not the case.
2. If they do exist as the only potential afterlives, then you're either heaven-bound or hell-bound.
3. If the God of the Bible doesn't exist then there is no reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound.
4. If the God of the Bible does exist then there is a reason to think that your being a nonbeliever or a Christian would have an impact on you being heaven-bound or hell-bound. In particular, if you're a non-believer then you're hell-bound, and if you're a Christian then you may be heaven-bound.
5. Christian theology has been defended by many intelligent and devoted philosophers and other learned people, and whether or not it is likely true one can agree that it at least has more than *zero* plausibility, if not possibly /substantial/ plausibility. The creation of the cosmos, the fine tuning of the cosmos, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ are all things which support Christian theology. If Christian theology is true, then there is good reason to think heaven and hell may exist as the only potential afterlives.

In other words, you have nothing to lose by switching from being a non-believer to being a Christian, but potentially everything to lose by staying a non-believer. There are a limited number of ways you could combat this conclusion.

1. Christian theology encompassing heaven and hell as the only potential afterlives has *no* plausibility other than the fact of it being logically possible.
I already discussed why there is good reason to think it has *at least* some plausibility, if not possibly substantial plausibility.
2. Non-belief and Christian belief are not equivalent in terms of the afterlife even if the God of the Bible does not exist.
However, there is *no* good reason to believe this is the case, so we should go by the things we have at least *some* reasons to believe instead.
3. If I'm hell-bound, then changing my beliefs due to this argument will not save my soul.
The point is that you can make an /effort/ and potentially get to know God. He will decide whether your soul is worthy, but if you never try then you will never have a chance at heaven. Also a person who is heaven-bound is a person who fulfills God's will for that individual, so by desiring to be heaven-bound you are desiring to fulfill God's will in your own life. There is no good reason to believe that attempting to re-connect with God over this argument will be a fruitless endeavor, and in fact there are quite good reasons to believe the opposite is the case.
4. This argument doesn't do anything for the existence of God, and maybe I don't want to go to heaven anyway.
Hell is a place of *eternal* torment, and the simple fact of the matter is that it is a place where *no* person truly wants to belong. They may think they want to go there is they suffer a delusion, but this delusion will be punished severely.
5. I rather live this life well instead of worrying about an unlikely afterlife.
Sure you could think like this and most often end up being OKAY, but the one time that doesn't end up being the case you will pay infinitely for it. The infinite consequences combined with finite probability simply overwrites any concerns over finite matters.
6. There are other religions that say the same thing.
Then if one of them seems more plausible than that of Christian theology, go with it. At least non-belief doesn't seem to offer any advantage here. Christian theology is merely one of the best alternatives, if not the best...but it's up to you to decide.

etc. etc.

Fine, I'll play your game.

A1. Agree.
A2. Agree.
A3. Agree.
A4. Agree.
A5. Disagree. It is a non sequitur that there is more than zero plausibility, let alone substantial plausibility because learned people and philosophers have defended it. Using creation of the cosmos and the resurrection as evidence is not valid, for they are only true if Christianity is true; it is circular reasoning. The fine tuning argument might serve as support, but that is not something I do not want to get into at the moment. Furthermore, many of these arguments and attributes can be assigned to other deities of other religions, so they do not pertain only to the Christian god. From what I see, there is no evidence that specifically makes more likely the plausibility of the Christian god.

B1. Disagree, see A5.
B2. Once again disagree, again, see A5.
B3. Disagree again. If you are hell-bound, then... well, you are hell-bound. There's nothing you can do about it. Even if you change your non-belief to belief, if you already hell-bound, then your actions will have no affect on the outcome.
B4. Disagree. Based on scripture, hell is not a place of eternal torment. All translations of the word hell come from Hebrew or Greek words , and those places either referred to the land of the dead, the grave, or a physical place in Jerusalem. The one Greek word does resembles our conception of hell, Tartaros, was created for Lucifer and his angels. There is no mention of everlasting torment in the bible. http://www.harvestherald.com/pdf/eternal_torment_not_scriptural.pdf
B5. Disagree. Based on premise B4, one should not worry on the afterlife since you will not infinitely pay for your "negative" actions based on Christian scripture.
B6. Disagree. Suppose a new religion comes about or an ancient religion sees a resurrection in which non-belief is rewarded and belief any deity or deity is punished. For the sake of argument, lets say that this religion is equally plausible to the Christian religion or any other world religion. Clearly I would be a fool to believe in any deity, for belief will damn me. Fact of the matter is, whatever religion or belief I chose, I will be damned in countless others. Since all equally plausible, suspension of belief seems to be the best choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality
...
...


Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Reputation : 115
Joined In : 2009-02-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Okay your disagreement with B3 is a nitpick because I obviously meant /currently/ hell-bound, and throughout this you really only had three disagreements. If you hold that all theologies hold no water at all in terms of argument/evidence then the wager doesn't work until you're convinced otherwise. And given that occurs, there is still the issue where you could find some other theology just as likely if not more likely, which favors atheism. There would have to be no such counter-wagers for the original wager to hold. As far as skepticism that hell is a place of eternal torment goes, that could come into play when discussing counter-wagers, although even without hell being a place of torment, the hell-heaven contrast is enough to carry the wager through assuming there aren't any such counter-wagers. And I won't respond to your points made in A5 really, but when I said the things I said I was making reference to certain specific arguments. If an actual argument were to take place over A5 it would be a lot more elaborated.

I'm content now that I know where you stand. I hope you see why this is a good argument from the theist point of view. If they have any hope at all of defending their position, then the wager becomes incredibly relevant. Of course you don't think they have any hopes of defending their position and that's why you think the wager "sucks."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
avatar

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6733
Reputation : 73
Joined In : 2008-09-23
Age : 25
Location : The fourth Dimension

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:39 am

I used to think Onion rings weren't made of Onions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 pm

God. Loljk

I believed in Santa though. I put sparkling deer food called "Reindeer food" I got at some xmas sale and it was gone the xmas morning haha I was so gullable, local deer prolly ate it.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:02 am

FOR A SMILE THEY CAN SHARE THE NIGHT!

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:53 pm

LOR, I give up....I'm sorry Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
avatar

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Reputation : 77
Joined In : 2010-05-01
Age : 26
Location : PA

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm

IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON

_________________
my bands- Lör
Top Hats and Effigies
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child
avatar

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Reputation : 49
Joined In : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm

AND ON
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What stupid things did you believe as a kid?   

Back to top Go down
 
What stupid things did you believe as a kid?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Am I seeing things? - Germany and EU to Legalise Paedophilia
» How Stupid Are You ?
» 'Parents killed Maddie, English police are stupid' - The full message censored by the UK media - www.mccannfiles.com
» Things You Always Wanted To Ask Kate And Gerry McCann, But Couldn’t
» 10 things that don't make any sense in the Mccann case

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: