Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25402
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]   Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:06 pm

My friend Linda and I both love ghost stories. The scarier the better is our motto. We also believe that ghosts do exist since we’ve had strange things happen to both of us at different times.

Linda did house sitting as a side gig and found herself house scheduled to do some sitting for a client back in June of 2010. After the walk through with the client she said she didn’t like the house she would be staying at for the weekend because it made her feel creepy. I didn’t have anything going on at the time so I asked if she wanted me to stay with her; and anyway I was intrigued with the house. She said she hated to be a baby, but yes, she would like some company.

Linda and I drove over to the place on a Friday evening around 7pm and she was supposed to stay there until Sunday mid-day.

Once we arrived I thought the house from the outside looked okay. It had a large open front porch, three pillars and plants hanging from it as well. There were two rockers and a welcome mat at the door. It looked pretty normal to me.

Before we walked in I joked with Linda and asked, “Why the heck do you think this is creepy? It looks pretty normal so far.”

She looked at me and said, “It is the inside I didn’t like. It looks okay, but it was a feeling I had when I came to discuss the terms with the client.”

“Well”, I told her, “let’s go in and see if it makes me feel the same”.

Upon entering the house it was very neat and tidy. There were big overstuffed chairs near a fireplace, tables with accent lamps, and a bookcase filled with books. The kitchen was well stocked with a little breakfast nook, and plants in the window sill. So far I didn’t feel anything a miss; although it was a little strange to be in someone else’s house looking at their stuff.

The upstairs area had two bedrooms, a bathroom and a closet. It was very simply designed, and neat as a pin.

I thought maybe the age of the house was the issue, it looked like it was more than 50 years old, but still well maintained.

We brought in our overnight bags, put our snacks in the kitchen, chose our rooms to sleep in and settled into the front room to talk and kill time until we got tired enough to go to bed.

Linda still seemed a little spooked so we decided to have a glass of wine and chill.

After awhile she seemed to feel better and we did girl talk, discussed our lack of romance, our jobs, our families and the latest TV shows.

Closer to 11pm, and with the effect of a couple of glasses of wine we began to feel sleepy.

After making sure the door was locked we went upstairs and to our respective rooms.

Just as I was settling in and trying to get comfortable in a strange bed I heard a noise. I wasn’t sure what it was, but it sounded like a muffled cough.

I sat up and reached for the lamp next to the bed. I looked around the room but saw nothing. I wasn’t really scared because I kept rationalizing that it could have been my imagination or just the unfamiliar sounds from the house as it settled for the night.

After reassuring myself I saw nothing, I turned off the lamp and looked at my watch, saw it was 11:55pm laid back down. As I lay there listening for a few minutes and hearing nothing I began to relax and felt myself falling to sleep.

The next thing I heard was a loud bang. I bolted upright, my heart jack hammering in my chest. I switched on the lamp and saw nothing until I noticed my door; which I had shut earlier was open. Since I wasn’t sure how much time had passed I glanced at my watch and saw it was 1:15am.

I told myself that maybe Linda had come to check on me and maybe the bang I heard was in my sleep.

Just to be sure I got up and went out into the hallway. As soon as I stepped out I heard whispering coming from downstairs. I froze in my tracks. Who was in the house with us? I went over to the banister with my heart pounding in my chest and looked down. The room was dark except for the street light casting a glow in the room. I saw no one and the whispering had stopped.

Still scared but somehow needing to know, I called out, “Hello is anyone there?”

I was met with silence. Now I was beginning to think I might be crazy. I tiptoed to Linda’s room and knocked softly. I listened but heard nothing. I knocked again but slightly louder.

“Linda” I called, “are you okay?”

I slowly opened the door and saw Linda sitting up in the bed staring at me with eyes as round as saucers. I quickly stepped in and shut the door.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Do you see it?” she barely whispered and she pointed toward the closet.

With my heart still pounding in my chest I moved closer to the bed and looked. At first I didn’t see anything except the gray darkness of her room with only a little illumination from the outside lights. Suddenly though I saw a slight movement where she was pointing.

When people say their heart dropped I never knew what that felt like until that moment. I saw a dark shadowy figure standing in front of the closet and it had raised its arm and seemed to be pointing back at us.

You never saw two girls scramble as fast as we did to run down those stairs and out the door as fast as we did. I think we screamed from that room until we got outside and to the street. Then we realized we had left everything inside. We didn’t have our keys, our wallets, or our clothes and neither one of us was going back inside to get them.

We ended up sitting on the retaining wall and jumping at every sound we heard that night. We didn’t sleep, but just huddled there in our pajamas.

Since we weren’t familiar with the neighborhood we didn’t want to start knocking on doors so we decided to wait it out until dawn. It was the worst night ever. We kept looking back at the house to see if we saw anything or if something might be creeping toward us, but nothing else happened.

Finally when the sun had come up we decided one of us had to go in and get our car keys. Neither of us was willing to go back upstairs, so we figured if we could get our car keys we would go get someone to come back with us and get our stuff. Our main goal was to get away from this place.

Since Linda said the house had bothered her from the beginning she begged me to step inside the foyer and get the keys we had left on the table. She promised to stand guard at the door and watch to make sure nothing happened to me.

Fearfully I pushed the door open while she stood back just a few feet and watched. I only had to step in about 4 feet to get them, but it was one of the hardest things I did. I kept expecting to see something or someone standing there waiting for me.

I grabbed the keys as fast as I could without really looking around for fear of what I might see and dashed back out the door.

We both jumped in the car and drove off still in our pajamas. Linda got her 6’2” brother to go back with us later that day and he bravely went in and while laughing at us. He figured it was all our imagination anyway.

We stood on the porch as he went up, both of us shaking and waiting to hear him scream.

After a few minutes he came down with our overnight bags, and only my purse. Since he seemed unfazed Linda asked him to go into the kitchen and get her purse which she had left on the table in there.

When he came back out with it he said, “Just curious, why did you girls leave all the cabinets open?”

“What?” said Linda, “we didn’t”!

He told us that when he went in to grab the purse that every cabinet was standing wide open and so were several of the drawers.

Later when Linda called the client and told him she couldn’t watch the house and why, all he said was, “Damn, I guess it’s back.”

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11224
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]   Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:35 pm

haha. what a unthoughtful client

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11808
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]   Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Troll client. Good story until then that just blew the whole mood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11440
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]   Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:38 pm

It could've been scary if it wasn't so terribly written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25402
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]   Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 pm

I'd probably do the same though lets be real lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to mention that... [S/9/10]