Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Haunting Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3775
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Haunting Home   Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

It was about 6 years ago now. My parents had gotten their divorce, and after spending 2 years previously with my drunk of a father, I decided to live with my mom instead. I was already old enough to move out, I simply didn't have any opportunities to do so at the time.

So I moved into an empty room at my mom's place. Due to everything being chaotic, and lack of funds, I didn't have an actual bed at the time. So I instead got a lovely air mattress covered in duct tape in nigh-futile attempts to prevent deflation. Wonderful. Oddly enough though, I was able to get my hands on a TV, since my friends had a spare one lying around. I set that up near the door of the room, across from the mattress.

The house was a small rental. It was cheap, and it was terrible. The windows weren't double-paned, so there was a serious dust problem, and there were small cracks where spiders and ants constantly made their way in. To make matters worse, my mom had two very hairy dogs which she never seemed to bathe, and so the dust and dead bugs were coated with a second carpet weaved of discarded dog fur. The worst part? It was STILL better than living with my dad.

Anyways, the weird shit started pretty innocuously. I'd lost lots of sleep since every time my body hit the floor through the deflating air mattress, I'd wake up. Usually this happened several times a night. Being intuitive, though, I had managed to arrange a massive glut of pillows beneath me into a pseudo-mattress, and sleep would continue until I fell off. Then I became aware that not every time I woke up was caused by the mattress. I started realizing that sometimes, just in that half-asleep haze, where your eyes are still closed, but you're vaguely aware that your sleep has been interrupted, I'd hear a combination of static and a whispering voice. The voice was unclear at first. It sounded simply like my brother was talking in his sleep in the next room, something he'd done since he was little. (He also tends to sleep-walk, which always creeped me out.) So I figured it was my imagination.

But then, as I got used to these cuts into my nightly schedule, I got into the routine of immediately opening my eyes when sleep ended, to speed up the process of returning to sleep. So one night, I wake up, and see my TV is on with static on, for about half a second before going black. Shrug it off, back to sleep. A few nights later, the voice started becoming louder and clearer. "Help me", "It's all gone", lots of weird phrases were what I heard, as well as my own name. Obviously, got freaked out quite a bit from this, but I was aware of my sleeping issues and some slight depression and hallucinations in my past, so I convinced myself to ignore it and keep sleeping.

On top of this, there were some weird issues starting to crop up during the day. First of all, there was a child in town with some sort of birth defect. She was actually around 25, but due to the defect, she had the body of a slightly-deformed child, and the face of an old lady who just got punched a lot. Weird enough, she would just walk into homes if you left the door unlocked. She did this a lot. It's not connected to anything else here, it just made the place seem all the weirder.

Second of all, TVs and radios all around the house would turn on and off spontaneously from time to time. This could be again explained away, but more weird stuff at the same time makes you question the explanations, you know?

And third, and probably weirdest, were the absurd mood swings. I'd be perfectly happy one moment, and then suddenly crying uncontrollably for no reason FOR AN HOUR. My brother and mom had similar issues. My brother would get inexplicably angry, and my mom would get inexplicably scared, etc, etc. The weird part was that we were fully aware that we had no reason for any of the moods, but we just had the mood for no reason. Then, after some time of everything going on like that, once again, I woke up in the dead of night to static and whispers of my name. As per standard operating procedures, I opened my eyes, pulled my body up, and looked toward the TV and door. There, peeking out from the hall was the silhouette of a girl. Pitch-black, with white holes for eyes, and long black hair. It was only a quick second, then, as the TV turned off, she disappeared. I damn near shit myself. I refused to sleep in my room any longer. That face convinced me that everything up until now was not simply a coincidence, and that there was something seriously wrong with the house. I was afraid of the whole house, but that room in particular was the worst one. And before you say it, it was not the birth defect girl. She never comes out at night, and besides, the door was locked (as it was most often those days).

So I set up camp in the living room. There was no space on the floor, and there was no couch...the only place to sleep was a small loveseat which barely held 2/3 of my body's length. I managed to work it so that I would sleep in a half-sitting half-lying position across the length of it though, with pillows as a mattress. But that wasn't enough. I was still scared shitless, and sleepless. So I decided to start leaving the lights on, and letting the dogs sleep beside me out there. Also, I started playing music while I slept. Anything to keep everything in that house off my mind.

But the TV out in the living room also suffered from the static issues. So I decided to set the TV every night to a Disney movie, and sleep with it on. Make fun of me if you want, I was scared of everything in that house, and Disney movies were the safest thing I could think of.

Of course, I told my mom and brother about it, since I had to explain my weird actions to them. They agreed that it was weird, but suggested I see a psychiatrist again as soon as possible. Looking back, it still could have been a psychiatric issue, but hey, hindsight is 20-20. After a couple months of that, one night, I was woken up again (Nowadays, I was woken up by the sounds of Disney films rather than from static and whispers.) I heard a sound from down the hall. A slight whisper, or whimper, or something. Still can't place it exactly, all I know is, it sounded very very sad.

I still can't figure out why I decided it would be a good idea to figure out what was making the sound. It was a momentary lapse in sanity, or a momentary lapse in insanity, depending on how you see it. But nonetheless, I went down the hall, only to find that the sound came (surprise, surprise!) from my former room.

I turned the doorknob, and opened the door, and walked in, to find the entire room BLACK, but glowing with red-orange. The red-orange was coming from cracks in the walls, ceiling, and floor. The sound of static filled the room, and then I realized that it wasn't the sound of static, it was the roaring of flames licking the side of the room. And there, in the corner, in a fetal position, was the silhouette girl, making that same sad noise, and whispering various things throughout. I ran away screaming. I know I woke up my family, and probably woke up a couple other people in the area. I ran out of the house, half-crying from fear. My mom came up to me, and managed to calm me down. She gave me a couple Advil PM's (The closest we could find to sleeping pills in the house) and I watched Lilo & Stitch until I passed out in the living room. And my former room? Well, it was normal whenever anyone went to check.

My nights were all drug-induced from that point forward. We ended up moving out a month or two after that, and as soon as we moved out, I got not only a new bed, but some serious sleep. The visions and whispers and mood swings disappeared the MOMENT we left that house. Like I said, it could be electrical issues and hallucinations and lack of sleep. That's all possible. But whether it was that, or a gateway to hell, or a haunting from a girl who died in a fire, I just know I am never setting foot in that house again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25352
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Haunting Home   Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 am

Thank god I read this at 10am

sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3775
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Haunting Home   Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

Everyone's comments on her story was that there was likely a gas leak in the home if this is true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25352
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Haunting Home   Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:48 am

Sounds like it could very well be possible considering everything thats wrong with it. But mentioning that deformed girl was out of nowhere.

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11758
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Haunting Home   Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Random extraneous info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Haunting Home   

Back to top Go down