Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Buddy Guy/BB King review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4002
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:28 am

On Friday, I went to see these two Blues Legends at the CMAC Performing Arts Center. The average age of the performers was 80.

The first act was Buddy Guy and he stole the show. He started off by playing Hoochie Coochie Man. He let the audience sing the "son of a gun part" and got angry saying "I did this song 3 weeks ago. That audience didn't fuck it up like you guys did." The next song, he just started playing this incredible solo. And the whole time he was playing it, he was wandering around the arena and stopped right next to our seat and continued to play. It was great that he gave people in the cheap seats their money's worth. He sowly made it back to the stage and played "She's 19 Years Old" by Muddy Waters. When he sang, "She's nineteen years old-And got ways just like a baby child", he cut off and said he didn't write the fuckin thing.

After he was done playing, he brought out Quinn Sullivan. Quinn is only 12 years old and was able to play as well as Buddy for the rest of Buddy's set. Buddy let Quinn play a few songs. The playing was great, but the vocals were pretty bad. Then the two started doing impressions of Eric Clapton & Jimi Hendrix, playing instrumental versions of a few Cream songs and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Being that Buddy Guy is 75, I'd say he was still as good as he was 50 years ago.

After a half hour intermission, BB King finally made made it onto stage. Unfortunately I was in the restroom when he first came on (same with Buddy Guy). He played mainly his hits and the mic was far too loud for him. You could easily tell he was struggling to play in some of the songs. He accidentally started the same song twice, then his band helped turn it into "Every Day I Have The Blues". He did have a few moments of greatness like when he played "The Thrill is Gone" or "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean". For an 85 year old, I wasn't expecting a grand performance, but he did meet my expectations. By the end of the show, about 75% of the building had left early and I was one of the few left. When he was finishing his final song, I walk towards the stage. At one moment he looked right at me & waved, then started throwing guitar picks into whats left of the audience. The most depressing thing about seeing him was to see him walk off stage and sit in a wheelchair to be wheeled away.

This was a great show and I got my $50 worth. I don't know if you folks care for Blues, but I felt it was great to see the people that inspired so many musicians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15990
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 pm

I would have loved to see that show. Especially BB King. It would be sad to see him wheeled away, but it just goes to show that even in his old age he still has a love for the music.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm

I forgot to include the parts where Buddy Guy started doing a solo by hitting the guitar with a drum stick, whipping it with a rag & rubbing it on his shirt. I believe he is also the guy that invented playing Guitar behind your back (which he did) or with your teeth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11325
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:38 pm

I can appreciate some good blues. Sounds like a good show. Really tragic to see BB King like that though but you've gotta give him his dues for still going up on stage at his age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 pm

My brother got an autographed Buddy Guy guitar strap. A friend thinks it isn't real, but it looked like a sharpie was written on it and it matches his signature. And why would they sell fake autographed items at an official merchandise table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Guy/BB King review   Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Video of Buddy walkin around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content