Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Neofolk relevant to metal listeners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Neofolk relevant to metal listeners   Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:02 am

I plan to use this thread as a gateway for those of us who clearly have interest in neofolk, but have some contention to abandoning these pretenses for the darker atmospheres that metal provide us.

Subaudition: Alms of the Sun

Backworld: After the Fall

Lux Interna: Fallen

Ask for albums if you want.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15992
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Neofolk relevant to metal listeners   Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:07 am

Backworld is very cool, they are on the long list of things I have to check out more thoroughly. As for the others, I'll have to listen and post my thoughts. Honestly I think I'm more into the... not really medieval, but more traditional kinds of neofolk. Vali, Neun Welten, Tenhi, etc. I can listen to that stuff over and over and love every minute of it. I wish I understood more languages though, I'd love to be able to understand the lyrics without finding translations or doing it myself.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Neofolk relevant to metal listeners   Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 am

Anthems to the Pleasure Park is a jewel in the rough, for sure. One of the most overlooked neofolk acts stemming from the heart of America, no less. Their latest album, Come the Bells, echoes a different style: far more brooding, piano-driven and depressive than the otherwise enthralling stories Anthems tells. Suffice to say I find the latter more relevant to me, however I cannot deny that Anthems to the Pleasure Park is probably their best known work for a reason.

Lux Interna is another American neofolk act who needs almost no introduction. If what I've read is right, they've suffered the death of their keyboard/organ player and have been relatively dormant (save a few shows on the west coast) since. God is Not Dead for the Birds and A Lantern Carried in Blood and Skin are remarkable forays into the genre, sort of like a quieter Swans.

Anyways, I'll post one that everybody should know by now, featuring David Tibet, Current 93 frontman and Michael Cashmore, by and large responsible for David's more melodic interests.

Nature & Organisation: Bonewhiteglory

Call it an extension of Thunder Perfect Mind. It's incredible.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15992
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Neofolk relevant to metal listeners   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:01 pm

I really enjoyed that Nature and Organisation track. Honestly I think I like it better than C93 if that's the style they stick with most. The vocals are essentially the same bombastic style but the music behind it is so much more... mature, I guess you could say. Maybe just more melodic... tranquil maybe. I don't know, by saying mature it seems like im belittling C93. I'll have to check out that album for sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neofolk relevant to metal listeners   

Back to top Go down

Neofolk relevant to metal listeners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1