Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Kony 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11228
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

and after you watch that read this to make sure you get the full picture. you should spread awareness though regardless.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25406
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:04 pm

This is everywhere on the Internet

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10841
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Vote Kony 2012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I think all 271 of my friends have shared this link and changed their display picture to this

VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9845
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

LOL... puns are great...

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11444
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:48 am

It's a good cause I think and it's most definitely a good thing to pass it along to as many people as possible and raise awareness. I guess this is quite a testament to the immense power the internet can have. I know a few people who read the Visible Children article and instantly started saying the entire thing was a scam and that everyone involved is corrupt. Kinda makes me sad that people are so ready to turn on a good cause after reading something on the internet. It's the whole "cynicism = intelligence" mindset that the entire internet seems to have. After reading their response to the criticisms too, that just proves that none of them even looked into it beyond that article.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm not sold on it. Were raising money for film students that are paying themselves 90K a year each. These guys make one of these videos a year, this is the 12th one.

If we raise all this awareness and kill Kony will it really stop anything? Does he not have a mentioned army and someone can just take his place?

When Kim Jong Il died his son just stepped in and is probably going to be just as crazy.

I dunno I think people see an inspirational video and jump to conclusions about change and saving the world

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 pm

its still a good cause. i would imagine that it wouldnt end with just killing him. there will probably be measures put in place to prevent it from happening again somehow. i honestly dont understand how you cant be sold on the cause. i understand not being sold on the specific charity

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10508
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

We shouldn't get involved. Similar situation happened in Somalia and look what happened...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 pm

we wouldn't be doing anything except training the ugandan solidiers. i dont think we would be the ones capturing him

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm not too inspired about an inspirational documentary. I don't think we can just throw money at it and it'll solve

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10841
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/03/uganda-kony-2012-reaction.html

In the News:
solar flare
Toyota recall
Whitney Houston
Joseph Kony 2012
iPad
peyton manning

Africa | Americas | Asia | Europe | Middle East
Many Ugandans frustrated, suspicious of Kony 2012 [Video]
March 8, 2012 | 12:21 pm
increase text size decrease text size

The viral video campaign that put the name “Joseph Kony” atop Google searches and Twitter trends has stirred up frustration in Uganda, where the crimes of the infamous guerrilla leader are nothing new.

"The war is much more complex than just one man called Joseph Kony," Ugandan journalist Rosebell Kagumire argues in the YouTube video above, saying the campaign gives a dated picture of Uganda. She added, "This is another video where I see an outsider trying to be a hero, rescuing African children."

Some Ugandans complained that with Kony out of the country, problems like nodding disease were far more important than capturing the militia leader. Others were suspicious of the aims of the San Diego-based nonprofit Invisible Children that put out the wildly popular video.

Here are some more Ugandan takes on the campaign by Invisible Children to stop Kony:

Angelo Izama, journalist and founder of the Fanaka Kwawote think tank based in Kampala: "The Kony 2012 campaign will primarily succeed in making Invisible Children, not Joseph Kony, more famous. It will also make many, including P.Diddy, feel like they have contributed some good to his capture. For many in the conflict prevention community, including those who worry about the further militarization of Central Africa, this campaign is just another bad solution to a more difficult problem."

TMS Ruge, co-founder of online platform Project Diaspora: "This IC campaign is a perfect example of how fund-sucking NGO’s survive. “Raising awareness” (as vapid an exercise as it is) on the level that IC does, costs money. Loads and loads of money. Someone has to pay for the executive staff, fancy offices, and well, that 30-minute grand-savior, self-crowning exercise in ego stroking — in HD — wasn’t free. In all this kerfuffle, I am afraid everyone is missing the true aim of IC’s brilliant marketing strategy. They are not selling justice, democracy or restoration of anyone’s dignity. This is a self-aware machine that must continually find a reason to be relevant."

Julian Mwine, communications consultant: "Kony is a terrible man, everyone knows that. But it doesn’t go beyond raising the issue, something that has been around for a really long time. ... Whatever intervention is suggested, there needs to be more focus on keeping the army accountable. To monitor their activities. Armies from all these three countries have their own issues. If you are not watched or held accountable, you’re making a situation that is already bad worse."

Fred Opolot, Ugandan government spokesman, quoted in the Telegraph: “It is totally misleading to suggest that the war is still in Uganda. I suspect that if that’s the impression they are making, they are doing it only to garner increasing financial resources for their own agenda.”

Musa Okwonga, British-born writer of Ugandan descent, blogging in the Independent: "[T]hough President [Yoweri] Museveni must be integral to any solution to this problem, I didn’t hear him mentioned once in the 30-minute video. I thought that this was a crucial omission. Invisible Children asked viewers to seek the engagement of American policymakers and celebrities, but -- and this is a major red flag -- it didn’t introduce them to the many Northern Ugandans already doing fantastic work both in their local communities and in the diaspora. It didn’t ask its viewers to seek diplomatic pressure on President Museveni’s administration."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/03/uganda-kony-2012-reaction.html

In the News:
solar flare
Toyota recall
Whitney Houston
Joseph Kony 2012
iPad
peyton manning

Africa | Americas | Asia | Europe | Middle East
Many Ugandans frustrated, suspicious of Kony 2012 [Video]
March 8, 2012 | 12:21 pm
increase text size decrease text size

The viral video campaign that put the name “Joseph Kony” atop Google searches and Twitter trends has stirred up frustration in Uganda, where the crimes of the infamous guerrilla leader are nothing new.

"The war is much more complex than just one man called Joseph Kony," Ugandan journalist Rosebell Kagumire argues in the YouTube video above, saying the campaign gives a dated picture of Uganda. She added, "This is another video where I see an outsider trying to be a hero, rescuing African children."

Some Ugandans complained that with Kony out of the country, problems like nodding disease were far more important than capturing the militia leader. Others were suspicious of the aims of the San Diego-based nonprofit Invisible Children that put out the wildly popular video.

Here are some more Ugandan takes on the campaign by Invisible Children to stop Kony:

Angelo Izama, journalist and founder of the Fanaka Kwawote think tank based in Kampala: "The Kony 2012 campaign will primarily succeed in making Invisible Children, not Joseph Kony, more famous. It will also make many, including P.Diddy, feel like they have contributed some good to his capture. For many in the conflict prevention community, including those who worry about the further militarization of Central Africa, this campaign is just another bad solution to a more difficult problem."

TMS Ruge, co-founder of online platform Project Diaspora: "This IC campaign is a perfect example of how fund-sucking NGO’s survive. “Raising awareness” (as vapid an exercise as it is) on the level that IC does, costs money. Loads and loads of money. Someone has to pay for the executive staff, fancy offices, and well, that 30-minute grand-savior, self-crowning exercise in ego stroking — in HD — wasn’t free. In all this kerfuffle, I am afraid everyone is missing the true aim of IC’s brilliant marketing strategy. They are not selling justice, democracy or restoration of anyone’s dignity. This is a self-aware machine that must continually find a reason to be relevant."

Julian Mwine, communications consultant: "Kony is a terrible man, everyone knows that. But it doesn’t go beyond raising the issue, something that has been around for a really long time. ... Whatever intervention is suggested, there needs to be more focus on keeping the army accountable. To monitor their activities. Armies from all these three countries have their own issues. If you are not watched or held accountable, you’re making a situation that is already bad worse."

Fred Opolot, Ugandan government spokesman, quoted in the Telegraph: “It is totally misleading to suggest that the war is still in Uganda. I suspect that if that’s the impression they are making, they are doing it only to garner increasing financial resources for their own agenda.”

Musa Okwonga, British-born writer of Ugandan descent, blogging in the Independent: "[T]hough President [Yoweri] Museveni must be integral to any solution to this problem, I didn’t hear him mentioned once in the 30-minute video. I thought that this was a crucial omission. Invisible Children asked viewers to seek the engagement of American policymakers and celebrities, but -- and this is a major red flag -- it didn’t introduce them to the many Northern Ugandans already doing fantastic work both in their local communities and in the diaspora. It didn’t ask its viewers to seek diplomatic pressure on President Museveni’s administration."

fucking hell. gonna show my friends this

GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4121
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Kony 2012   Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Kony? What? That's so March, 2012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR