Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So I'm a Satanist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Verbatim
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 35
Hedonistic Glory : 2018
Joined In : 2012-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 am

The world needs more enlightened and kind people, not more religious or nonreligious people.

I wouldn't say I believe in Spinoza's God, but I do see nature as God. That's a poetic way of saying that I think all things belong to the domain of nature.

I've been thinking about that issue I told you about. We would like to say some events are unlikely, but I couldn't find a way to justify such a statement while stipulating the existence of the very large multiverse I described. I've been revisiting that thought, and I feel there's more to it. It's mainly an exercise in logic and beauty. I wouldn't describe myself as a "truth seeker" so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 am

Verbatim wrote:
The world needs more enlightened and kind people, not more religious or nonreligious people.

I wouldn't say I believe in Spinoza's God, but I do see nature as God. That's a poetic way of saying that I think all things belong to the domain of nature.

I've been thinking about that issue I told you about. We would like to say some events are unlikely, but I couldn't find a way to justify such a statement while stipulating the existence of the very large multiverse I described. I've been revisiting that thought, and I feel there's more to it. It's mainly an exercise in logic and beauty. I wouldn't describe myself as a "truth seeker" so much.

Well said, guy. I can't quite dig Spinoza either.
Back to top Go down
Verbatim
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 35
Hedonistic Glory : 2018
Joined In : 2012-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 am

I don't claim to know what nature consists of. The goal is to understand two things: the language of nature, and the extent of nature. The language of nature is the language which can perfectly model nature. The extent of nature is all that exists.

So my first speculation would be that the language of nature is mathematics, and the extent of nature is all mathematical possibility. Describing the extent of nature, in this case, requires metalogical notions.

Of course, there are a lot of questions to be had at this point. What is a perfect model of nature? What is existence? What mathematical objects are in nature? Which mathematical objects do we correspond with which aspects of nature? How do we interpret a string of symbols? Etc..

One thing I find interesting is the concept of infinity. Everything we observe and everything we are is finite. Even the /concept/ of infinity is finite. The existence of the infinite is described with a finite logical expression. We comprehend infinity with finite minds. Where is infinity in nature? Does the infinite really exist? And if it does, then how far does the rabbit hole go? After all, there is more than one kind of infinity. Just how infinite is nature, if at all? Or if only?!

And there are all sorts of other considerations. I find it to be a really fascinating topic. I have to confess I haven't put a lot of thought into ethics and morality. Since an early age I didn't believe in free will (libertarian free will), and I saw people as machines which one could understand scientifically. I just sort of ignored ethics and morality, and even questions about life in general.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11444
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:02 am

LOR wrote:
im not so sure, i feel like religion, at least this point in humanities existence can cause more than harm than good. originally, im pretty sure religion was used just to control people and make sure they didnt do stupid crap. we've developed enough at this point to know whats wrong and right on our own i think. religion causes unecessary disputes and stalls progress
On some level, I agree. Some people use religion as a excuse for ignorance and stint progress by clinging onto thousand-year-old philosophies, but I don't think this is a flaw with religion itself, rather the flaw is with some of the people following it. In many people's eyes, their religion should be exempt from many laws and standards that apply to everything else in the world because they believe in disrepects their beliefs. I think the main problem today is that people refuse to believe that religion needs to, like all other things, progress and change, because, in their eyes, it's a special untouchable thing that should never be altered in any way. Realistically however, many of the philosophies were written thousands of years ago, and society is so vastly different these days to what it was then that applying the same standards is completely ridiculous. An example would be Christianity's general stance on homosexuality. Back when the Bible was written, no one understood homosexuality like they do today, it was seen as completely unnatural and could not be accepted. If the Bible had stated otherwise, there would have been outrage. Now, we've developed past that and have much more of a logical understanding of it, therefore Christianity should adapt it's views to coincide with the knowledge we now have.

There are also those who cling blindly to every single word the Bible says, taking it all as complete literal fact and focusing on frivolous, unimportant aspects of it. Creationists are a good example. Whilst I can respect belief in Genesis, completely rejecting and opposing all differing opinions or more open interpretations of it is very close minded, and at the end of the day, is not what Christians should focus on in terms of their belief.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11228
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

i agree that it is really up to the individual, but the problem is that we have tons of individuals being "close-minded" about their religion and then raising another generation of individuals who also are taught to be "close-minded". its interesting though, recently, i've started to notice that religion IS taking a back seat more often. i feel like the global mind-set is trending toward more agnostic or atheist beliefs. that problem might not even be a problem actually

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, I believe religion has a place in modern society. Ignorance doesn't. Unfortunately people sometimes find it difficult to seperate the two due to misrepresentation by all the racist bigots that justify their hate with it. Close minded people are close minded because that's how they are. Ever wondered how they chose to focus on all the stuff in the Bible that encourages prejudice and ignore the stuff about all humans being equal? Yeah. Unfortunately a lot of the time religion is simply used as an excuse for irrational hatred. There's nothing we can do about it, and those people would doubtful be any more open minded if religion wasn't a thing. It's just shitty human nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 am

exactly. it just comes down to dumb people being dumb really- nothing to do with religion

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10841
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Except religions were created by dumb people for dumb people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:36 pm

actually i would think they were created by smart people to control dumb people. thats my theory

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Yeah, that. They weren't dumb. Back in the time most religions started, absolute belief in some form of diety wouldn't have seemed far fetched. They didn't have the science we have today to explain many things in the universe. Hell, it was only 500 years or so ago we discovered the world was round. Does that make religion today invalid? I don't know, but I like to think there's room for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm a Satanist   

Back to top Go down

So I'm a Satanist
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2