Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Omnivores, Defend Yourself

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10667
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:02 pm

It's because it sucks going out to eat with vegetarians/vegans. No fuck you we aren't going to this bullshit place that costs $15 for a salad, I want a fucking burger for cheap. That and aside for moral reasons, there are no good reasons. And morality is dumb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4731
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I think its because there is a stigmata of unmanliness to show emotion and be concerned about fair trade and animals. One of my friends is so far to the right that if he sees a show on tv with even a slight insinuation of a gay character he'll freak out. Pisses me off but these things exist and you just have to brush it off and call them a name back "jokingly"
Oh heavens no! Then I'd be militant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25232
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Ahah well you can't defend yourself without defending yourself

Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
It's because it sucks going out to eat with vegetarians/vegans. No fuck you we aren't going to this bullshit place that costs $15 for a salad, I want a fucking burger for cheap. That and aside for moral reasons, there are no good reasons. And morality is dumb.
That salad costs more because the government subsidizes the beef industry way more then the vegetable industry.

Reasons:
Moral
Environmental
Health
Economic
Socio-economic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25232
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I went to Scotland in May. The amount of salt and sugar they use over there is probably a good 25% less than what we use in North America. As far as fast food goes, I want a Subway Sandwich over anything. I am now realizing that these are two completely different thoughts. I'm going to end this post now

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Bloodbeast wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
That salad costs more because the government subsidizes the beef industry way more then the vegetable industry.

Reasons:
Moral
Environmental
Health
Economic
Socio-economic

It's more expensive because they take advantage of picky eaters. And yeah, I forgot about the environmental factor too but there are other things you can do to help other than eating salads. It's less healthy to eat no meat than some meat. Whichever promotes greater economic growth is better economically (and that appears to be meat). The poor want to eat meat, giving them less meat would greater increase socio-economic strains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Bloodbeast wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Reasons:
Moral
Environmental
Health
Economic
Socio-economic

It's more expensive because they take advantage of picky eaters. And yeah, I forgot about the environmental factor too but there are other things you can do to help other than eating salads. It's less healthy to eat no meat than some meat. Whichever promotes greater economic growth is better economically (and that appears to be meat). The poor want to eat meat, giving them less meat would greater increase socio-economic strains.
But everyone needs vegetables, so they are not taking advantage of just "picky eaters", they are taking advantage of everyone. And it's not that the poor want to eat, or rather more meat, I was referring to the fact that they are taken advantage of by the meat industry, yes all industry abuses workers, such as the vegetable industry, but not at the magnitude of the meat industry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 am

breakyoudown wrote:
Ahah well you can't defend yourself without defending yourself

I like how the thread title and thread contents are reversed. Bloodbeast ended up defending himself from everyone. This is probably the funniest thread ever posted in the serious discussion board.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11054
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 am

Bloodbeast wrote:
LOR wrote:
well i tend to that when the conversation takes a turn for the worse. this thread should die. it went from people willingly giving their side of the story to you attacking everyone and trying to make them look like the bad guy. my bad for trying to lighten the mood.
The title and first post should have prepared you. You cannot defend yourself unless you are being attacked. I want you to feel how I do when people find out I don't eat meat, and constantly bombard me with their opinions, in an offensive manner. Nor is it even new people, but people who already know. You said so yourself, you have vegetarian friends, and you still hassle them about their diet, even if it's "joking", it's still annoying.

This was the ultimate point of this thread.

fine, im okay with being "attacked" but i wasn't expecting you to be so snarky about it. i was just expecting conversation, no one willingly enters a thread to be abused. Razz this is honestly why people are skeptical of vegetarians- the snarkyness that is. this is infinitely more annoying then me joking to friends that they can't enjoy this cheeseburger that i'm eating. there's no self-righteousness involved and its not offensive really. its about as harmless as taunting a fat kid with cheesecake... probably a lot less harmful. i mean, they don't eat meat, so they don't even care. fat kids could have a heartattack because of how fat the are. its not like i do this every meal of every day (its pretty rare actually, and its usually hit for hit, we go back and forth). my friends still like me. basically, what i'm saying is that we aren't the people that offended you, so i don't get why you are so determined to "beat us". i was hoping for more of a chill thing. explaining my self willingly (which is how the thread started) and and being forced to explain something i think is the reason.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 am

Being a vegetarian is immoral.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:48 pm

LOR wrote:
Bloodbeast wrote:
LOR wrote:
well i tend to that when the conversation takes a turn for the worse. this thread should die. it went from people willingly giving their side of the story to you attacking everyone and trying to make them look like the bad guy. my bad for trying to lighten the mood.
The title and first post should have prepared you. You cannot defend yourself unless you are being attacked. I want you to feel how I do when people find out I don't eat meat, and constantly bombard me with their opinions, in an offensive manner. Nor is it even new people, but people who already know. You said so yourself, you have vegetarian friends, and you still hassle them about their diet, even if it's "joking", it's still annoying.

fine, im okay with being "attacked" but i wasn't expecting you to be so snarky about it. i was just expecting conversation, no one willingly enters a thread to be abused. Razz this is honestly why people are skeptical of vegetarians- the snarkyness that is. this is infinitely more annoying then me joking to friends that they can't enjoy this cheeseburger that i'm eating. there's no self-righteousness involved and its not offensive really. its about as harmless as taunting a fat kid with cheesecake... probably a lot less harmful. i mean, they don't eat meat, so they don't even care. fat kids could have a heartattack because of how fat the are. its not like i do this every meal of every day (its pretty rare actually, and its usually hit for hit, we go back and forth). my friends still like me. basically, what i'm saying is that we aren't the people that offended you, so i don't get why you are so determined to "beat us". i was hoping for more of a chill thing. explaining my self willingly (which is how the thread started) and and being forced to explain something i think is the reason.
The snarkyness lies is prevalent on both sides, and more so on yours, you are the majority after all. The self-righteousness is also prevalant on both sides.

I'm not trying to beat you, I am however trying to beat you out of your comfort zone. I remain resolute that no one provided me with a sufficient enough argument, I was quite dissatisfied with nearly all of it, one reason being the lack of evidence for you reasons. This was after all a philosophical and scientific inquiry, both of which necessitate evidence. This started out alright, but I just kept getting the same responses, no matter what avenue I took for you to really explain your stance, which is not necessarily a bad thing, the bad thing was the lack of coherence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11638
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

I'll eat fucking anywhere dude. That can be an issue with some I agree. I've gone by the theory that just because I choose to limit my diet does not mean that I should limit others or force them to cater to me.

Worst comes to worst ya just order something and say leave the meat off thats what I do anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:56 pm

blackstar wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

I'll eat fucking anywhere dude. That can be an issue with some I agree. I've gone by the theory that just because I choose to limit my diet does not mean that I should limit others or force them to cater to me.

Worst comes to worst ya just order something and say leave the meat off thats what I do anyway.
I've got no problem just ordering side dishes only.

Fruit bowl and bread, good to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11054
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 am

Bloodbeast wrote:
LOR wrote:
Bloodbeast wrote:
LOR wrote:

The snarkyness lies is prevalent on both sides, and more so on yours, you are the majority after all. The self-righteousness is also prevalant on both sides.

I'm not trying to beat you, I am however trying to beat you out of your comfort zone. I remain resolute that no one provided me with a sufficient enough argument, I was quite dissatisfied with nearly all of it, one reason being the lack of evidence for you reasons. This was after all a philosophical and scientific inquiry, both of which necessitate evidence. This started out alright, but I just kept getting the same responses, no matter what avenue I took for you to really explain your stance, which is not necessarily a bad thing, the bad thing was the lack of coherence.

i dont think i get this at all. i cant explain that i dont feel bad other than i dont feel bad. and the avenues you took should have been more tactful, i may be more willing to explain things if i wasn't being forced to defend my self as a decent human being- i found myself more preoccupied with things you thought i said and trying to correct it rather than the focus of the discussion which got me all muddled up. and the snarkyness i feel is more tangible with you (though granted this is the internet, its probably all in my head) im not talking about sides, im just saying you as an individual, being part of the majority doesnt inately make one more snarky, i would figure its the opposite. ex. hipsters are pretentious and rich people are pretentious and there are less of them then everybody elsel. i went into this with a light heart, you were out for blood (lol) for most of the thread. its not what your saying but more how you were saying it (granted again, the internet). soooo, what do you want me to say? maybe you can give me the plainest possible questions so i can try to answer them or something - that might work better than attacking me and then hoping for me to explain. cuz, you're right, i'll just probably say the same thing. your the one that wants our reasons here anyway.
and theres also the possibility that NO one will ever provide you with a sufficient enough argument because we all value things differently and nothing is really objectively right. if we ever did, it might be such an argument that would argue you back into being an omnivore. the facts are pretty straightfoward, its just how much you care about the facts. vegetarians obviously care more than non-vegetarians do and anything a non-vegetarian says in defense will probably never be enough to convince a vegetarian because vegetarians just dont look it that way. i realize i am saying the same thing again, i just dont see how there are more sides to the argument, though ive been struggling with it this entire conversation. when will anything we say be sufficient for you? vegetarianism probably doesn't seem sufficient to us, as we'd rather eat meat than give a care about how it was produced (generalizing for simplicity's sake). you can't convince us that it's better because its just how we feel. we would have to convince ourselves probably. this is kinda like religion. we'll never know who's right in the end as we were never given a set of rules on how to live life. maybe we'll figure it out in the afterlife. help me talk say things you want to hear. ive also been missing some of your posts i realized- maybe that has to do with some of it, though going that far back might be weird

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Omnivores, Defend Yourself   Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Being a vegetarian is immoral.
Back to top Go down
View user profile