Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Well, the last topic flopped because you didn't understand the topic. So today we will discuss an easier topic: knowledge.

Now I won't ask what is knowledge, because that has already been figured out and hasn't really been contested (except for a few philosophers but we can talk about that later). Knowledge is a true justified belief.

However, there are cases where the TJF criteria is met, yet it does not seem like a genuine case of knowledge. These examples are called Gettier cases. I will get into that later.

Now the question is do we really have knowledge? Can we know that we know things? This is the question that Epistemological Skepticism asks, or just Skepticism for short. There are good arguments for this case that really put into question our knowledge about things or even just knowledge in particular.

Before I go into thought experiments, I want to hear from you guys. Do you think that we have knowledge over everything? Are we limited and can have knowledge in certain areas but not others? Do we possess any knowledge at all? Tell me what you guys think and your reasoning behind it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 pm

As much as I want to make an effort to participate I feel like you are able to tell that I'm pretty weak at philosophy. I need it to be novice basic to keep up.

I mean if I relate Plato's cave allegory to something will that be on topic?

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:53 pm

If you want to, but you don't need to be well versed in philosophy in order to participate in it. As long as you have your ideas supported by good reasons, then all is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm a skeptic, like Socrates. Wisdom is knowing that you know nothing. I invoke David Hume's "Bundle Theory". You can't prove that the things you see, touch, taste, smell and hear are actually what they sound, taste, look, smell and feel like. Remember the Matrix? That's Bundle Theory. As far as Decartes' famous "I think therefore I am", I just dont buy it. I think it scarcely more than some unchecked assertion. What if you think, therefore you think and there is no you? What if your thoughts are nothing at all?
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, Descartes cogito ergo sum is supposed to be a proof of why you are. If you think, then it follows that there is a you. If you didn't exist, then how could you think? Descartes is a dualist, so Descartes doesn't mean that you, the physical human being exists, but rather your mind does (he thinks that the body and mind/soul are different and can exists independently). However, there are some problems with his argument (I forget what and I'm lazy to look them up -- probably something along a hidden premise or the assumption of an "I").
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Well, Descartes cogito ergo sum is supposed to be a proof of why you are. If you think, then it follows that there is a you. If you didn't exist, then how could you think? Descartes is a dualist, so Descartes doesn't mean that you, the physical human being exists, but rather your mind does (he thinks that the body and mind/soul are different and can exists independently). However, there are some problems with his argument (I forget what and I'm lazy to look them up -- probably something along a hidden premise or the assumption of an "I").
I understand Cartesian Dualism perfectly. That's exactly what I'm saying. Just because your thoughts exist, doesn't mean they're attached to "you", your "identity" or your "existence". There's no proof that I exist on any level (mental OR physical), despite the fact that I seem to think.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Right, the problem with the cogito is one of identity, so a better formulation would be X thinks, therefore X exists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 am

weird, i literally wrote a paper on this exact question for a physics midterm this past term. physics...i know.... im posting to keep subscribed. maybe i have something useful to say, but ill be honest, i completely BS'd that paper.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism   

Back to top Go down

Taxer's Philosophical Inquiry 2: Knowledge and Skepticism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1