Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

top albums of 2012?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11112
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 am

figured i'd make a thread, even though this year hasn't been the best in terms of me buying current albums. i think my top 5 list would be something like this

1. Sigh- Somniphobia: one of the most creative and different records i've ever heard. Production was a tad lacking, drums sounded a little funky i thought (hi hat sounded way to loose for example), vocals could have been mixed in a bit better, but nothing distracting. Creative and interesting ideas. I enjoyed this record thoroughly.

2. Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pandora's Pinata: only second on the list because i was listing. I would easily put this up there with Somniphobia. More excellence from Diablo Swing Orchestra. This record was less dark than their previous album, but it was not a drastic change in sound. The music is still ambitious and super well- produced. Everything sounds fantastic (especially the drums) and the performaces were amazing as well (including the drums...everything about the drums is awesome on this record- too bad he left immediately after). Amazing record, but this record is missing the dark, twisted vibe I fell in love with on the last two albums.

3. Alcest- Les Voyages de l'Âme- really like this album for some reason. dig the atmosphere and vibe. Was listening to it alot this past summer.

4. Kamelot- Silverthorn- only just started listening to this, and its a bit of a grower im starting to feel. Much better than the last album which i could not stand. Tommy does an excellent job i think. Some riffs sound rehashed to me which is why it not higher on the list. But there are definitely some killer tracks on here. Its overall kind of monotone and midtempo as well. I'm enjoying this record the more I hear it. I think they are going to need to start experimenting more though in the future in order to not become stale. I know that Tommy was not too involved with the writing on this one, maybe the next record will see more of his influence on it.

5. Devin Townshend- Epicloud (this could be competing with something else though- i liked it, but its not an album i could listen to forever, very poppy (not in a bad way), but it can be too poppy for me sometimes). i've been listening to it alot though which is why its on my list.

albums that could be on the list, but i haven't really got the chance to listen in depth yet include Wintersun-time, Stolen Babies- Naught, Wodensthrone- Curse. probably a bunch missing too. you guys?

Last edited by LOR on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Gotta mention Baroness - Yellow and Green and Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10725
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm

I'll do a write-up later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
I'll do a write-up later.

cool. thats encouraging me to maybe explain myself a bit better as well on my picks

LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Gravy Gulper wrote:
Gotta mention Baroness - Yellow and Green and Katatonia - Dead End Kings

ive never actually heard yellow and green but one of my friends wasn't as impressed as he would have liked to have been i think. everywhere else though, people some to love it.

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:37 pm

LOR wrote:
ive never actually heard yellow and green but one of my friends wasn't as impressed as he would have liked to have been i think. everywhere else though, people some to love it.
I dont know your friend, but some people are disappointed with Baroness because they're moving away from their growl-vocal origins and have started moving into a more progressive/experimental style. I love it all and I think they're doing a wonderful job. In essence, their choice is totally metal. Choose artistic integrity over the whim of your fans every time.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

Gravy Gulper wrote:
LOR wrote:
I dont know your friend, but some people are disappointed with Baroness because they're moving away from their growl-vocal origins and have started moving into a more progressive/experimental style. I love it all and I think they're doing a wonderful job. In essence, their choice is totally metal. Choose artistic integrity over the whim of your fans every time.

he's not one to care about brutality levels, he said it was just meh, it didn't grab him. idk though, i stll need to hear it

spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 2958
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 am

Other then Sigh, Wintersun & Be'lakor i think it's been a pretty meh year with music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:40 am

i liked alcest's album. i'd give it a go if you're into them at all

spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:56 am

Not sure how i feel about shoegaze yet but i'll check them out after listening Finsterforst's latest album for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15993
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:14 am

The new Alcest was pretty fantastic, will definitely make my end of year list. I actually haven't listened to the new Kamelot or Devin Townsend (for shame, I know) but I'm actually not that excited to hear the new Kamelot. I like them well enough, but definitely aren't ever game changers for me. They have always just made music that I thought was pretty good, no better and no worse. Epicloud is probably awesome enough so I'll probably get around to that pretty soon. I also keep hearing about the new Sigh record so that's something to get around to as well. I'll post a thread of my favorites here before too long

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 am

cool. yeah, to be honest, the kamelot record did not blow me away, i thought tommy did a fantastic job and there are some definite great tracks. but not quite up there with their older stuff for me. sacrimony would be one of my songs of the year though- killer track. sigh's album was amazing. Epicloud was like a pop rock album- enjoyable listen though and good if you need a break from heavier stuff

spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Gave Inborn Suffering's 'Regression to Nothingness' a listen finally, it's pretty awesome. Probably not trve death doom metal to some but whatevs i like it.
Back to top Go down
VintageTorrie
Top Lad

Number of posts : 185
Hedonistic Glory : 2097
Joined In : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Aves - Feathers
White Ward - When Gift Becomes Damnation & Inhale My Despair
Utsu-P feat. Sekihan - Psychodrama
Lustre - They Awoke to the Scent of Spring
An Autumn For Crippled Children - Only the Ocean Knows
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emulatorfever.forumotion.co.uk/
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11328
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I think my favourites were a 3 way tie between Devin Townsend - Epicloud, Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension and Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence.

Epicloud was just ridiculous. It's probably the most uplifting, happy, fun albums I've ever listened to. It's actually impossible for me to listen to any song from it without smiling to myself. It was like Addicted x1000. Proved without a doubt that Devin is one of the few musicians out there who can write both complex proggy music and poppy, fun tunes with equal skill. Fucking fantastic.

The Aferman: Ascension might've been one of the most glorious comebacks I've ever heard from a band. After Year Of The Black Rainbow being somewhat disappointing, I was admittedly a little worried about The Afterman, but Coheed ended up bringing out probably their most adventurous, interesting album yet. Every song has a completely distinct sound and the album is insanely varied but it still has that essential Coheed sound. Incredibly excited for Descension now.

The Parallax II is basically just BTBAM doing what they do best and doing it really fucking well. This album honestly rivals Colors and The Great Misdirect. Every track is an absolute stunner, I can never listen to it without going from start to finish because every track just flows so effortlessly into one another. Any BTBAM fans will thoroughly enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Axe wrote:
The new Alcest was pretty fantastic, will definitely make my end of year list. I actually haven't listened to the new Kamelot or Devin Townsend (for shame, I know) but I'm actually not that excited to hear the new Kamelot. I like them well enough, but definitely aren't ever game changers for me. They have always just made music that I thought was pretty good, no better and no worse. Epicloud is probably awesome enough so I'll probably get around to that pretty soon. I also keep hearing about the new Sigh record so that's something to get around to as well. I'll post a thread of my favorites here before too long

looking forward to the Axe report
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 pm

VintageTorrie wrote:
Aves - Feathers
White Ward - When Gift Becomes Damnation & Inhale My Despair
Utsu-P feat. Sekihan - Psychodrama
Lustre - They Awoke to the Scent of Spring
An Autumn For Crippled Children - Only the Ocean Knows

shit i totally forgot to check out the new lustre album

Darkflame wrote:
I think my favourites were a 3 way tie between Devin Townsend - Epicloud, Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension and Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence.

Epicloud was just ridiculous. It's probably the most uplifting, happy, fun albums I've ever listened to. It's actually impossible for me to listen to any song from it without smiling to myself. It was like Addicted x1000. Proved without a doubt that Devin is one of the few musicians out there who can write both complex proggy music and poppy, fun tunes with equal skill. Fucking fantastic.

The Aferman: Ascension might've been one of the most glorious comebacks I've ever heard from a band. After Year Of The Black Rainbow being somewhat disappointing, I was admittedly a little worried about The Afterman, but Coheed ended up bringing out probably their most adventurous, interesting album yet. Every song has a completely distinct sound and the album is insanely varied but it still has that essential Coheed sound. Incredibly excited for Descension now.

The Parallax II is basically just BTBAM doing what they do best and doing it really fucking well. This album honestly rivals Colors and The Great Misdirect. Every track is an absolute stunner, I can never listen to it without going from start to finish because every track just flows so effortlessly into one another. Any BTBAM fans will thoroughly enjoy it.

i like addicted a bit more to be honest.

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Ah, when I said that, I meant it was like Addicted with the feelgood vibe and epicness amped up 1000. I don't think I can decide which one I like best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 pm

gotcha. im not a huge fan of the use of electronic drums in addicted, but overall i like the songs better. its more varied sounding i think and less poppy overall

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10725
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Didn't listen to too much from this year but here's what I liked.

Death:

Pesudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis (death/black)

Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance

Cthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth

Nar Mattaru - Enuma Elish

Ignivomous - Contragenesis

Black:

Wrathprayer - The Sun of Moloch: The Sublimation of Sulphur's Essence Which Spawned Death and Life (war/bestial)

Deiphago - Satan Alpha Omega (war/bestial)

Proclamation - Nether Tombs of Abaddon (war/bestial0

Revenge - Scum.Collapse.Eradication (war/bestial)

Hades Archer - The Curse Over Mankind (black/thrash)

Heavy Metal:

Chapel - Satan's Rock 'n' Roll (motorhead/venom-ish with harsh vox)

Satan's Satyrs - Wild Beyond Belief! (punky/motorheadish with harsh vox)

Christian Mistress - Possession (regular trad)

Doom Metal:

Paulbearer - Sorrow and Extiction (trad doom)

Ahab - The Giant (death doom?)

Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Alter (stoner)

Conan - Monnos (stoner)

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust (like sabbath but from 2011 but fuck it still good)

Agalloch and Alcest were aight

Other?

Death Grips - The Money Store (really really weird hip-hop)

Rome - Hell Money (neofolk) ((couldn't find anything on youtube)

Swans - The Seer (post-punk/post-rock/post-idk)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am

holy shit taxer, that should keep us busy for the whole week. good shit

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am

Hmm... it was a pretty lackluster year if truth be told. Still, there were a few choice picks to be had:

Death metal, plain and simple: it's just done so damn well. Catchy as fuck.

Not a whole lot has changed since their last outing, which is fine by me. One of the few melodeath bands I still pay attention to.

Consistently brilliant.

Because just fucking wow. It's a while that something this raw has as much atmosphere as this without being depressive or needlessly proggy. Extremely well done.

I have long been a loyal and ardent fan. Incredible that they still sound so fresh after quite a few albums.

Probably my favourite Ihsahn album, but chosing is so hard: they all have a different flavour so to speak...

Album of the year. Enough said.

I'd love to be able to put Enslaved on the list, but RIITIIR was a disappointment to be honest. Pallbearer did a fantastic job, but the album just doesn't bear repeated listens: it suffers from Hibria syndrome. Time, as predicted, sucks balls: it was far worse than I imagined. There are still quite a few albums I've yet to listen too as well so maybe there could be a few additions to this list.

Oh yeah, I'm back: 3 weeks back in the homeland.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm

omg, dies is back. WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy ill check those out as well

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 am

Forgot this (don't know how, I listened to the album about 6 times in a row when I first got it).

Just ordered the latest Pig Destroyer album too, so I'm really hoping that makes the list.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I had no idea Be'lakor had a new album out. I'm gonna need to check that out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Just a little update to my list. Starting to catch up on some of the things I missed or put off in favour of something else.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 am

i be adding to my list and most likely bumping down a few on my list.

i just started listening to this album, but im loving it

Finsterforst- Rastlos

always knew about these guys, but this album finally converted me.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: top albums of 2012?   

Back to top Go down

top albums of 2012?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1