Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11390
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Am I meant to like this?

Because I don't. At all. This combined with the comments are destroying my faith in society's acceptance of feminism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11174
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm

honestly, i pretty much agreed with that video. shit sometimes just goes too far (part about the sensitivity and safety at the beginning i agree with- i think thats more of a problem in the states though with parents babying their children and shit...honestly...its hardly a fucking feminist issue- its just a dumb issue). bill burr is funnier though, that is truth. you got me all excited for bill burr.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Am I meant to like this?

Because I don't. At all. This combined with the comments are destroying my faith in society's acceptance of feminism.

i agreed almost completely and like LOR said, there is a stinging overemphasis on sensitivity over truth and safety over experience in our culture. these values originate in the feminine psyche. im actually a misogynist, but please indulge me.

assplane what you disagree with and why?
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

im definitely not a misogynist, i just agree with the video for the most part. i dont think that was a misogynistic video (in the middle it went there a bit) but overall i didn't think it was terribly bad. plus he's a comedian, so anything overtly misogynistic I usually chalk up to "he's a comedian...these are jokes"

GuyIncognito
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 4067
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:34 am

Fun Fact: Bill Burr works for Saul in Breaking Bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

ThatNaggerGuy wrote:
Fun Fact: Bill Burr works for Saul in Breaking Bad

that is fun

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10787
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 am

Bill Marr is funnier as a color commentator than as an actual stand-up comedian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

this belongs here, i think

Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 pm

LOR wrote:
anything overtly misogynistic I usually chalk up to "he's a comedian...these are jokes"
Sorry, but I hear that a lot and it's a terrible fucking excuse. If you need to rely on stuff like 'Them women! Huh! What are they like!?', you're neither funny nor allowed to be surprised when you get called an asshole.

But seriously how did you guys not find that offensively misogynistic? His whole bit is about depicting men as being trapped by women in a marriage and portrays women as the tyrannical oppressors. He goes on about how sorry we should feel for men in these situations and, despite the fact it's for comedic effect, it's still a pretty bad mindset to encourage.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but honestly I hate hack comedians like this that feel the need to rely on being offensive to be funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Also, look at the comments. The top rated one is 'Women are wonderful. Feminists are horrible.'

Yeah. I think my point stands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Darkflame wrote:
LOR wrote:
anything overtly misogynistic I usually chalk up to "he's a comedian...these are jokes"
But seriously how did you guys not find that offensively misogynistic? His whole bit is about depicting men as being trapped by women in a marriage and portrays women as the tyrannical oppressors. He goes on about how sorry we should feel for men in these situations and, despite the fact it's for comedic effect, it's still a pretty bad mindset to encourage.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but honestly I hate hack comedians like this that feel the need to rely on being offensive to be funny.
its not about pitying men. i wouldnt stand for such faggotry. this is about holding women to truly equal standards and exposing the hypocrisy of the things feminists mindlessly advocate. feminism is sexism.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Also, look at the comments. The top rated one is 'Women are wonderful. Feminists are horrible.'

Yeah. I think my point stands.

being a offensive is a style of comedy, either you like it or you dont. i happen to like offensive comedy because i hate political correctness and over sensitivity.

Gravy Gulper wrote:
Darkflame wrote:
LOR wrote:

its not about pitying men. i wouldnt stand for such faggotry. this is about holding women to truly equal standards and exposing the hypocrisy of the things feminists mindlessly advocate. feminism is sexism.

yeah, i kinda agree. im all for equality- im putting that out there so that doesn't get mixed up. feminism sometimes goes to the extreme though and asks for superiority some of the time though. i think everyone gets shit misconstrued and thinks that once someone hates feminism, they dont like equality. thats bullshit. feminism at its core is awesome. it can get annoying though, thats why im totally okay with people making fun it. im also totally okay with people making fun of mostly everything though so its not a special case for me. huge fan of the south park philosophy here.

and here is what this thread should be about
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 am

Oh god its like he read my mind about the nerd thing. I HATE that geekiness is so mainstream now. I miss back when people were ashamed that they loved star wars and had to pay in wedgies.

Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 am

im a nerd.... or whatever. not fucking ashamed. i dont flaunt it though. funny still though. it is a social trend. i dont think all these people are actual nerds though...pretty sure some just do it cuz its cool. fucking posers. I WAS A NERD BEFORE IT WAS POPULAR.... FUCK.

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 am

i always kind of enjoyed being teased for liking star wars way too much. youre absolutely right, man. not just a posertastic social trend, also a fashion trend. and then there's the big bang theory. ugh
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Guuuuuuuuuuys, you're killing me here.

This is exactly what I mean. You guys (or Gravy at least) seem to think that feminism is about putting women on top. That's not what it is at all, it's about promoting women's rights so that both genders can one day be equal. It's called 'feminism' because it's women that have the shitty end of the stick, therefore, to promote equality, we have to aim for securing more rights for them to even the scales out. The idea that feminism is a sexist movement about putting women on top over men is a misogynist myth conjured up by men who are afraid of the idea of it. It's really a horrible way of thinking.

A lot of people seem to think feminism is sexist because it favours women. This is true, but that's because we HAVE to favour women to strive for equality. There are literally no major rights issues in the world faced exclusively by men. That's why feminism is necessary.

LOR wrote:
being a offensive is a style of comedy, either you like it or you dont. i happen to like offensive comedy because i hate political correctness and over sensitivity.
Also disagree with this. I like abrasive, antagonistic comedy, but it has to have purpose.

Jamie Kilstein violently rants about genuinely awful people in an entertaining way and raises valid arguments whilst adding a comedic twist to them.

Frankie Boyle basically says 'Disabled people are ugly' and gets laughs for the shock value.

See the difference?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 pm

While I'll refrain from commentating on the current debate, I just want to add something that is on topic: women will never, ever be equal to men. This is a simple fact of life. Feminism is a worthy cause, one I happen to support, but I'm a realist; it's a battle that can't be won.

We kid ourselves, believing we've evolved into some fantastical, supreme race ruled by higher thinking and social awareness, moving beyond the bonds that confine other creatures: the truth is we're all still animals at our core. While the biggest driving force in humanity is still the id, and while the ego strives to meet its demands, women will always be behind men. Social norms may be changing, not all women are maternal for example, but nature is nature and you can't fight it.

Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16055
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:47 pm

That's what I'm saying. As far as rights goes, we're already pretty much equal. But nature dictates that we won't ever be equal. Equality is a bunch of bullshit anyway. One gender or race is going to excel in some areas over other genders or races. I do believe in social equality, but we've pretty much already achieved that in every circumstance, and then even in the opposite direction in some cases *cough affirmative action cought*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Guuuuuuuuuuys, you're killing me here.

This is exactly what I mean. You guys (or Gravy at least) seem to think that feminism is about putting women on top. That's not what it is at all, it's about promoting women's rights so that both genders can one day be equal. It's called 'feminism' because it's women that have the shitty end of the stick, therefore, to promote equality, we have to aim for securing more rights for them to even the scales out. The idea that feminism is a sexist movement about putting women on top over men is a misogynist myth conjured up by men who are afraid of the idea of it. It's really a horrible way of thinking.

A lot of people seem to think feminism is sexist because it favours women. This is true, but that's because we HAVE to favour women to strive for equality. There are literally no major rights issues in the world faced exclusively by men. That's why feminism is necessary.

LOR wrote:
Also disagree with this. I like abrasive, antagonistic comedy, but it has to have purpose.

Jamie Kilstein violently rants about genuinely awful people in an entertaining way and raises valid arguments whilst adding a comedic twist to them.

Frankie Boyle basically says 'Disabled people are ugly' and gets laughs for the shock value.

See the difference?

no. i laughed when i read that. that's an attention grabber by itself. comedy's only pure purpose is to make people laugh. if you want to be political about it, fine thats great, but not being political about it doesn't make it a lesser form of comedy. if its funny, its funny. "sense of humor" is a thing. maybe yours doesn't fall into that particular vein of comedy, mine does. also laughing at things is kind of a natural reaction, you cant really help it. i just find things funny...i find lots of things funny though, offensive or not. i had to frankie boyle btw. scottish comedians...I DONT KNOW WHO THOSE ARE HAHA

o and to keep the bill burr/feminism/comedy thing going just to get everyone pissed off, heres a clip i stumbled upon. its funny even if you dont agree with it, at least i think so haha.

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 am

Alright imma start treating this as an actual debate now. DF, have you even considered the natural advantages of being a woman? They literally choose the future of the human race just by their sexual taste ... which is currently in favor of Justin Beiber and mindless spray-tan assholes. Read Schopenhauer - On Women because when I say I'm a misogynist, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. As a general rule, I tend to think of women as liars and weaklings because they are inclined to lie by their very nature. So to a large extent, I think Axe and Dies are right but I might be a little more extreme.

this is a lady ranting about the historcal context of the so-called "patriarchy"

this is a video about how the public education system in america is now tailored to female success and abamdoned boys
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 am

wow this thread should be in the serious discussion thread now haha. ill look at those videos later. need to finish this paper

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Gravy, in reference to your first paragraph, I'll to apologise (or not) for saying that is some of the most ignorant stuff I've ever heard. I mean, seriously, man. I'm a little disturbed that this is how you think. Women decide the future of the human race based on their sexual preferences? I'm really not sure how this works because it takes two people to make a baby. That decision is down to both people. Hell, taking rape (which, despite also being a problem for men, is undeniably a MUCH bigger problem for women) into consideration, I'd say it's actually probably more in the hands of men. 'Justin Bieber and spay tanned assholes' is also a pretty knee jerk generalisation of what women want.

As for your comment about thinking of women as 'liars and weaklings'...dude, I don't even know how to respond to that without calling you something nasty.

As for the gender pay gap video. It's true. I agree with it. However, do you not see how this introduces an array of new problems? The fact that women are put off by higher paying jobs indicates masculine intimidation to me. The mindset that women aren't suitable for more industrial work such as engineering is still highly prevalent and a lot of employers, even subconsciously, will dismiss women who pursue such career paths due to their gender.

Statistics for education employment show that, whilst there are a large proportion of women working in school level education (over 50%), the percentage plummets to 17% when we get to highly paid university professors (despite the fact that video stated that women tend towards education studies). The proportion of women working in national level politics is also a mere 20%. There is a problem with women not being able to achieve high paying jobs. You can't put a difference that high down to gender preferences. There's an undeniable problem here.

I don't think I have the time to watch 2 35 minutes videos right now, but from a glance at the first one, she's portraying feminism in a very extreme light as an entitled movement that wants to portray men badly, which I feel I've already explained my thoughts on. The only arguments I could see her picking apart were ones made by niave pseudo feminists with mixed up priorities who don't really understand the idea of the movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:01 pm

yeah, gravy i think your a bit extreme haha. still havent watched the videos (no headphones right now). im with dark on what he's saying about whatever hes saying. i dont think women are naturally inferior, just different by nature.

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:53 am

DF - Before you start insulting me, you might want to think longer. You're making an ass of yourself. There's a great body of thought and information behind some of the things I say and if you want to actually have a discussion about it, baselessly calling me ignorant isnt the way to begin. otherwise, we're just throwing our opinions at each other and nobody learns anything. waste of time.

I have to speak in generalizations. Or shall I pull up some charts from the Female Sexual Fantasy Bureau? These stereotypes exist for a reason. Women actually ARE attracted to assholes psychologically. It's built right into their maternal instincts to care for people that are dysfunctional (like babies and spray-tan assholes) and to want what they can't have (like that ex-boyfriend she won't shut up about or that million dollar purse) because it's their natural gift and disposition to manipulate men (successful men, rich men) into giving them what they want. it's how they survive without the muscle mass or inclination toward industry that men are born with. Before you call me chauvinistic over that last statement, compare the great people of history. What's the male-female ratio on famous inventors? engineers? generals? artists? writers? This is of course my highly controversial opinion, but it wont hurt you to look into it.

You can call me anything nasty so long as you genuinely believe it's true of me. Read this

Continuing, lets talk about ignorance again. Who the hell are you to assume from a few statistics that there is any career discrimination at all going on? That is what you're implying right? Well why are you so absolutely certain that women aren't inclined toward the positions they've end up in? You're arguing that differences in gender can't be the explanation for the differences in pay because such gender differences don't exist. Maybe I am ignorant and I'm certainly jaded, but you'll never catch me making such a leaping assumption.

I will agree with you on one point though. Maybe these problems do come about because of gender roles and the models we lay out for boys and girls to fall into. Perhaps this is an artificial influence that significantly guides genders, following them into school, and pushes them into one career or another. If we can agree on that, I'd absolutely be in favor of uni-sexual immersion.

EDIT: As for feminism: I'll tell you right now, I don't have a ton of experience with it. I don't keep up with it, but I have read some feminist literature and I have seen several feminists rant on television. They all seemed to have that point of you that you-tuber was arguing against. Except for this one lady I saw on the Colbert report was arguing that feminism was about mens' rights now. Which is a confusing idea considering the movement's name. Anyway, my point is that if that's not what feminism means anymore, then they're doing a god-awful job representing themselves because that's how almost everyone thinks a feminist is. Bitching about patriarchal tyranny. So if you have information to the contrary, I'd be happy if you enlightened me.

Last edited by Gravy Gulper on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 am

i like how im pretty much in the middle between the both of you guys.

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:20 am

haha yeah its like a very opinionated sandwich Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr   

Back to top Go down

Although you are cool, sir, I prefer Bill Burr
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1