Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 pm

In order, with descriptions if you're interested

10. Coraline
(Animated kids movie with tons of character and charm. It may remind you of Tim Burton but I think this movie captures some of the fear much better, some parts were actually kind of scary.)

9. The 25th Hour
(Ed Norton at his best. This is the movie with his famous Fuck You scene)

8. Lockout
(High adrenaline action movie with Guy Pearce, seemed this movie was ignored by everyone. Guy goes into a mental asylum in space to save a girl, mindless badassery)

7. Waltz With Bashir
(Touching documentary about a war completely animated, the style of this is a one of a kind)

6. Sauna
(A poetic horror movie, another rare themed movie where there is so much symbolism and beauty)

5. The Cottage
(Fun British horror with Andy Serkis.)

4. Doghouse
(Another fun British horror, this ones hilarious)

3. The Raid: Redemption
(Indonesian kung fu movie. Think Tony Jaa meets Judge Dredd)

2. Mulholland Drive
(Hard to describe. The movie does all kinds of batshit things then doesn't explain it to you. Very artistic and you will probably spend an hour on wikipedia. Brilliant movie with elements of horror and mystery. You never really know why some people act so strangely. Unless you can figure it out)

1. Green Street Hooligans
(Outstanding crime movie where Elijah Wood goes to visit family in England and becomes a soccer hooligan. The lifestlye includes drinking and fighting the other teams fans, but it gets more serious when the violence only keeps getting worse)

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11226
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm

holy shit, green street hooligans would have been on my list as well. its one of my favorite movies.

ill continue with my list then, i dont know if i can make 10 though, i might come back and re-edit when i think of more things

in no particular order

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)- just a badass revenge movie based on the book (they modified the story- i actually think i prefer the modifications- they are just more badass)

Everything is Illuminated- a young jew (elijah wood) goes to ukraine to learn about his family's history. movie is hysterical in the first hald then really reflective/sad second half. eugene hutz from gogl bordello is one of the main characters.

Taras Bulba- oldy but a goody, ukrainian cossaks fighting for their homeland from the poles, also a love story and whatnot

Green Street Hooligans (because it would have been on it, and i cant think of much Razz)- already said.

Trainspotting- about heroin addicts in edinburgh, scotland and the misadventures. kinda fucked up but interesting

Pan's Labyrinth- This movie is just gorgeous and super well done. The main evil character is probably one of the most evil characters ever to me- they did such a great job at making you hate him haha. It's a fantasy film that shares time between the real world and the magical world. Only thing that may be off-putting for some is that it's completely in spanish

ill be back to finish this up

Last edited by LOR on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 pm

I need to see The Count of Monty for sure. That's definitely on the list.

Trainspotting looks like such a cult movie. I do like Danny Boyle (he directed it right?) but it looks so hit and miss to me.

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

yeah he did. and county of monte cristo makes you feel so good inside, you should watch that first maybe. trainspotting isn't for everyone- "Edgy" i believe might be a word for it.

i am also adding pan's labyrinth to my list. maybe not super unknown, but next to all the huge fantasy films, this movie should definitely be getting more attention than it has.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I bought that shit. It gets so violent out of nowhere.

The pale man stays with you after it

spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 3072
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 am

Hell of The Living Dead - zombies in New Guinea jungle, pretty awesome if you like zombies Smile

Maniac Cop - about a man in a cop's uniform starts killing people for no apparent reason.

Lord of Illusions - a fanatic cult, who are waiting for the resurrection of their leader.

Zombie Apocalypse - a small group of survivors fight their way cross-country to a rumored refuge on the island of Catalina, pretty cool because even animals turn into the undead.

Planet Terror - an experimental bio-weapon is released, turning thousands into zombies. It's not bad.

Last of the Living - a group of survivors run across a scientist (or biologist) with a serum to reverse the effects of the undead. A pretty good movie but..
Spoiler:

Zombie Srippers! - a viral outbreak lands in an underground strip club, which turns the strippers into Super Zombie Strippers. It's pretty funny.

Redneck Zombies - some rednecks find a barrel of radioactive waste and well.. these rednecks are just insanely dumb.. lol it's kinda stupid and retarded but i found it really funny.

Fido - I thought i seen every crazy zombie movie but this one, people keep zombies as pets. lulzy stuff ensues.

La Horde (think there's also The Horde-English version) - Cops, gangsters & zombies all battle it out. pretty cool.

Well most of my list consists of zombie movies but i thought they were pretty good for lesser known films Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 am

Hah I've seen Fido and Zombie Strippers!
Fido was actually really good, funny quirky and dare I say a family zombie movie?!
The 50s are too stylish

Zombie Strippers, yeah my friend and I were being stupid and downloaded that one lol

spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 3072
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 am

lol. If you haven't already The Return of the Living Dead series is pretty good. At least the first 2 are hilarious. The 3rd one was fairly nice and i don't really remember the other 2 much. The first From Dusk Til' Dawn is great too but i figured that one was fairly well known due to George Clooney & Quentin Tarantino being in it. The other 2 were pretty boring imo but the first one is great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 am

i've seen zombie strippers...i wish i never saw zombie strippers.

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 am

I've seen Everything is Illuminated, Count of Monty Cristo, Pan's Labyrinth and Trainspotting. They're all great, but Trainspotting and Pan's Labyrinth are a cut above the others.

No particular order here.

Ink - probably my most highly recommended indie movie. it WILL make you cry.

Brick - Fantastic Noir Mystery Thriller set in modern times. Stars Joseph Gordon Levitt. Probably his best performance. If you dont believe me, watch it and then reread this. You'll shit bricks when you realize he was the main character and you never even recognized him. Another 5/5, but its complicated and you have to immerse yourself in the mystery. Psychologically draining. Subtitles recommended because some characters talk too quietly.

This is England - A boy's father has died in war. During his struggle to find acceptance and identity, he becomes a skinhead. Touching.

Moonrise Kingdom - I laughed, I cried. Its a modern masterpiece.

The Comedy - what the fuck did I just watch?

Enter the Void - what the fucking shit did my goddamn eyes just drink up? Really bizarre. Couldnt rate this if i wanted to.

Lost in Translation - Needs no introduction

The Vicious Kind - Not anything to rant about, but I had a soft-spot for this flick. Mostly because it stars Adam Scott, who excels at playing assholes. An estranged, black-sheep brother fears for his brother because of his 'slut' girlfriend. His subconscious mind dominates the plot.

Rubber - A rubber tire develops psychic powers and goes on a killing spree. Meanwhile, the other members of the cast conspire to kill the audience in order to end the movie prematurely. I've talked about it before.

The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle - A bunch of male janitors eat too many experimentally modified cookies and end up giving live anal birth to blue fish, whom they fall in love with.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Some Days Are Better Than Others
One of the best indie films I've ever seen, and probably one of the best in general. It's about three random people in search of fulfillment in life, and how they find it or deal with the lack thereof. It's also about how the lives of people are intertwined. Brilliant movie.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Anyone a Guy Pearce fan here? He's so underrated. He's a fucking chameleon in movies.

Lockout- Action Hero
Memento- Psychological Thriller
Outlaw- Cowboy
Lawless- Criminal in the 30s
Are you Afraid of the Dark- Horror flick

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I've really wanted to see Memento, mostly because of Christopher Nolan though. Is that his name? I think so. Anyway, that's the one I've actually heard of, haven't heard of or watched any of those others. Lawless sounds the most interesting, those period pieces from the 30's through the 60's are great. Like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men, I can't get enough of those shows
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Memento is the clear home run that he's been in. You're really doing yourself a favour seeing it. The movie starts at the end and works to the beginning. His memory is like 5 minutes so you never know what is going on.....because neither does he

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 pm

It sounds like it should be great. And it's on netflix, which is a real bonus. I don't really have money, and now comcast is being a bunch of poopdicks and cracking down on piracy so I don't download as much as I could before. It's pretty unfortunate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Squidward wrote:
Anyone a Guy Pearce fan here? He's so underrated. He's a fucking chameleon in movies.

Lockout- Action Hero
Memento- Psychological Thriller
Outlaw- Cowboy
Lawless- Criminal in the 30s
Are you Afraid of the Dark- Horror flick

hes in the count of monte cristo. go watch it

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 am

Memento is fantastic, but Guy Pierce is so forgettable. He looks like Brad Pitt mixed with any other male celebrity. Generic Handsome Dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 am

Moon
Strange Days
King of New York
The Fisher King
Frailty
Velvet Goldmine
Office Space
Grave of the Fireflies
Sneakers
After Hours
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 am

I heard that Grave of the Fireflies is ultra depressing

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:03 pm

It is a bit, but a great film nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known   

Back to top Go down

Post 10 of your favourite movies that are not well known
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1