Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Paramore - 'Paramore' Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Paramore - 'Paramore' Review   Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:24 am

In the fickle world of music, change always garners criticism, whether warranted or not. The departure of the Farro brothers, founders of the band, left many sceptical about Paramore's future. Add in a shift of style and many are decrying this eponymous effort before they've heard a single note. If you can distance yourself from whatever the band once was however and listen to what is, you may just be surprised and enthralled by what you find.

Hayley and her new cohorts Jeremy Davis and Taylor York waste no time in throwing the old playbook out the window, with opener 'Fast in My Car' rubbing their new sound right in your face from the get go. Paramore have always been a band ruled by simplicity, and in this still holds true, however it's different from the emo-punk of days gone by: a sharp quirkiness now permeates everything, a mix of everything from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to keyboard highlights that invoke the 80s. The overall aesthetic of the sound is lighter than previous albums, but no easier to digest than past efforts: just different, expressing a new willingness to experiment. These changes could have gone drastically wrong, and indeed some ideas don't quite hit their intended mark, such as the bloated, tacky choral breakdown of 'Ain't it Fun'. For every minor fault that creeps in there are three or four outstanding ideas that simply work, but those faults tend to happen in a concentrated area, making them more noticeable. This has always been the case with Paramore and it comes in the form of their slower, ballard-esque efforts. They tend to be a little trite and lacking energy, disturbing a pace that would otherwise be a barrage of catchiness.

Failings aside, there are many highlights to touch upon: Hayley Williams provides a stoic anchor to whatever backdrop surrounds her, never letting things get out of control. Rarely dramatic, but always dynamic, possessing a keen awareness of when to flow as a harmony or counter everything with a vocal melody, providing hooks that just wouldn't be there otherwise. And despite mass press opinion that Paramore is merely a vehicle for their formidable front woman, Jeremy and Taylor are not to be discounted, being more talented and farther reaching than the Farro brothers ever were, being a massive part of the diversity on display in this new incarnation of the band.

When it gets down to brass tacks, Paramore is catchier than the common cold, and charming despite its flaws: a reminder that pop, more importantly modern pop, can be a worthy sub-genre of music. Sometimes superficial, sure, but depth isn't everything, and we're all a little shallow sometimes. Embrace your vanity once in awhile, it's good for the ego, and do it listening to this record.

Haters: ready, set and...... go!
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25347
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Paramore - 'Paramore' Review   Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:10 pm

I've never listened to this band, seeing this review I listened to "Still into you" then "fast in my car". I don't know if they are both on this new album but the later seems more modern. The style of vocals seems really in right now and I guess they've adapted to it.

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11169
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Paramore - 'Paramore' Review   Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:02 pm

im not a hater of paramore, but im not a fan either. its only fun when my one friend tried hopelessly to sing along to it for me.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paramore - 'Paramore' Review   

Back to top Go down

Paramore - 'Paramore' Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1