Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25403
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Ip Man was a real person who practiced martial arts and this movie is sort of a story of his life. He lives in a city where Kung Fu embodies everything that is important and respectable in the town, and Ip Man is the most learned person there. An immediate flaw in the movie is that he is portrayed in a God-like fashion where if an ignorant person were to challenge him, you know they wont do well just because they lack honour. Ip Man has a lot of plot armour, but by the end, you'll be on his side regardless of the odds.

Ip Man constantly practicing how to block and re-direct attacks

His fighting style is very much what the movie is about. He attacks while he defends, a humble man. Very rarely do you see him being the aggressor. He parries and then delivers blows and if he is showing his attacker that he is the better without wanting to inflict damage.

This movie takes place in the 30's and the Chinese were profoundly oppressed by the Japanese. Ip Man is one of the few beacons of hope there is for some honour to be restored for his hometown. For an action movie, Ip Man is a complete martial arts experience. The sequel is more of the same, only adds even more elements of Ip Man's supernatural sixth sense fighting ability where he'd be able to fight an overwhelming amount of foes at once. This original is a classic and deserves a view. The movie wants to be a realistic background story and it still holds a lot of value.

This is the first time you see Ip Man fight.

I'll pay!

The ending is really cool, and I don't want to spoil anything. But I'd suggest if you're interested in watching this not too read too much into it or it might give it away. Its a very neat way to remind the viewer that what you're watching is based on a true story. And my, is it ever satisfying watching Ip Man fight when he passionate, there is a lot of emotion behind each scene, and that is really lacking in most Hollywood flicks. Emotional action movies are hard to find, and this is a very likable movie. It has elements of Jet Li's Fearless, only with a historical background. For those wondering how to pronounce it in English, its "Yip Man".

There is something special about watching his politeness fade, and he starts to frown and rolls up those sleeves for one last task.

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16106
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 am

I have never gotten into the kung fu/martial arts films, but it sounds pretty interesting actually. I enjoyed the clip you included too, the fight scene was well choreographed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

I felt that this would appeal to you the most as itís a fairly recent movie, most of the classics are Bruce Lee or Jet Li which are older and not filmed in a high quality. If youíre new to martial arts movies this is a really easy place to start. It has a very likable world and it has the pacing of an action movie, which is what it is.

Each fight has a lot of passion, let me know your thoughts if you give it a try

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16106
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 am

I will actually give it a watch at some point, I was dicking around on Netflix and it was on there. It also had a five star rating on there, I believe, so others also agree!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
revalea

Number of posts : 1
Hedonistic Glory : 1696
Joined In : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks for the post.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11225
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

cool might get into this. i like some kung-fu stuff every now and then. if it's anything like Fearless i'll probably dig it. i thought that movie was awesome.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm

You say you like kung-fu movies and then reference Jet Li? That's like referencing Keanu Reeves as your favourite sci-fi actor.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

revalea wrote:
Thanks for the post.....

First of all, welcome to the forums bud hows it going? My sweet review got us a new member for a second haha

Jet Li might be fastfood when it comes to Kung Fu movies, but Iíll admit to liking movies like Fearless and Kiss of the Dragon, pre2000 movies. Doesnít mean Iím supporting Cradle 2 the Grave, but yeah, I like him. Everyone knows Keanu can't act, Jet's got moves
Ip Man is solid and it supports a decent sequel as well. Its more of the same with less effectiveness. They are making a third one, with a new actor. Probably wonít enjoy it a whole lot, the man looks so tranquil and he is Ip Man in my head. He appearance really fits the description. Donít forget itís a true story too, I watched it on Netflix too. A lot of Kung Fu movies have a lot of bullshit, you get a fast paced tale here.

LOR

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11225
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Dies Irae wrote:
You say you like kung-fu movies and then reference Jet Li? That's like referencing Keanu Reeves as your favourite sci-fi actor.

byd brought it up in the review which is why i mentioned it Razz i happen to like that movie though.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing   

Back to top Go down

Ip Man: A Kung Fu Flick worth viewing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1