Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Indie Gaming

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25346
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Indie Gaming   Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Do any of you purchase any indie games?
The best way to play these is without a doubt on Steam. Through the Humble Bundles you can get five games for a dollar if you so choose to pay the minimum amount. I have gone through the following off the top of my head. I probably own more but donít feel like opening Steam, it is another big RAAM hog.

Bastion: One of the best stories I have run into. Bastion feels like a flash game that has been fully fledged into an 8 hour experience should you feel the need to complete some upgrades. The games standout point is its narrator who has a Morgan Freeman type voice that is surprisingly intuitive. If you use a brand new weapon a lot he will comment on it or if you fall off the edge heíll remark that ďthe kidĒ found the place a bit slippery. The gameplay falls on quickly clicking away with melee and ranged attacks with the occasional special ability (dropping a turret to help you out). There are several options when you start the game to adjust your experience and there is a lot of reason to play through it a second time. A few frustrating sections where enemies spam attacks and you have to time an attack to slowly chip away at their health. 4/5

The floor usually only appears as you move through the stages sometimes leading into some very high octane getaway events

Castle Crashers: I waited for this to be on the PC for a long time and in the end was pretty disappointed. Youíre better off playing it on a console. Its awkward playing it on a keyboard and you can tell they didnít change much of the interface to make it accessible on Steam. Itís pretty difficult to find games and people are usually either level 50 or level 5- resulting in all kinds of unbalanced gameplay. The game itself has plenty to do but unless you have a friend that also plays this is a pretty big waste of money, and itís a shame. On the Xbox 360 you have to hold Left Trigger and press A or X to do special attacks. On the keyboard you have to be running around the pressing Shift+ R or something and it just does not work out too well. 2/5
Limbo: Outstandingly artistic game that has a very fun first two hours before getting puzzling. I had to look up a few solutions on Youtube. You would be pressed to find a game with this kind of environment and style. However it is a short puzzler/platformer and would be best bought on sale as you probably will not play it again. It is like Portal in the sense that it is a very successful short idea. 3/5

Lone Survivor: The makers of this game admittedly announced that they were inspired by David Lynch when they made this game and you can tell, some parts scream Twin Peaks as you play through it. The game acts like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. You make your way through 2D buildings and cities and either need to hide from monsters, or kill them which is not encouraged. Your character comments on much of the things you run into and the writing is top notch. The NPCís are hilarious and others are downright spooky. The game is very pixelated but it is very scary as some situations will blare a drone-type sound as a monster rushes towards you. Now I want to shed light on some of the more hallucination type experiences. You will run into pills throughout the game. And every time you take one you will visit a ghostly NPC who will help you in some way or quiz you. There are three types of pills and depending on which you take and your behavior throughout the game will change the ending you will get. If you are in need of bullets you are judged by these two figures who call you a coward and depress your character. Others will speak in riddles and will baffle you. The game has a decent length and doesnít fail to surprise you with some kind of twist and will always have your curiosity at a high level. This is also coming to PSN soon, a must for horror fan. 4.5/5

Itís symbolic for turning a blind eye to consumerism or something

Braid: This game has you reverse time to complete puzzles. It starts off fairly simple but after a few hours the puzzleís complexity skyrockets and I did not have the patience to get even halfway. Some of the bonus challenges are nearly impossible to figure out without a walkthrough ďwait for 2 hours on the first level so a cloud moves overĒ. The art direction is out of this world but it did not make this overly enjoyable for myself. Braid is everything most puzzlers want to be but unfortunately I donít have drive for such mindbenders and probably wont return to it again. I almost donít want to rate it because of how good I know it is, but I personally donít like it.

Amnesia: Not sure if I can even call this Indie anymore with the popularity itís gotten. Plus Iím sure everyone knows the story. 4.75/5 Ė have not been more scared of a game in my life but some puzzles were way too hard

Space Pirates and Zombies- This was the biggest surprise for me- SPAZ was made by two people and there is actually a ton of gameplay. You slowly build yourself a team of spaceships to travel around the galaxy visiting planets and attacking colonies with your team. You are slowly able to get better ships and yes you are able to fight in real time with AI teammates. Each planet has a set of three teams that all have a certain disposition to you, some will be allies and others will attack on sight. Fun game. I put 8 hours in before realizing it was the same thing over and over and there is not nearly enough story missions. You need to do a million side quests before you could advance and I just wanted to attack Zombie ships already. But it is still an impressive project and I didnít even think Iíd give it a chance but you should if itís on sale for a buck again. 2.75/5

Jamestown: Bullet-hell is how they describe this game. I can see why. A super arcade game where you control a spaceship at the bottom of the screen and shooting the enemies at the top as you pass by. This is meant to played with up to four players and can be done locally?! Christ I play it locally with one other person and that was cramped enough. Anyways, it only has five levels and one bonus with only a few extras that you have to pay for which is not worth it. A level is only about 5-7 minutes long and it falls under that category where difficulty levels are too easy or too hard and sometimes you spend the whole time dodging all the shit on screen and something floating stationary will kill you. The last level is also beyond hard as the walls are out to kill you in addition to a thousand other things on screen. This is a NES styled game of difficulty. The last level cannot be played on an easier difficulty. Thatís pretty manly, but Christ, why even stress yourself out playing that. Had a few hours of shooting the shit (literally) and probably wonít ever install it unless I have a buddy over that is dying for a gaming marathon of some sort. 2.5/5

Wizorb: You know this was part of the bundle and was a throw in. Itís pretty much brick breaker with RPG elements that I have no interest in learning about. You can go into cities and save up for marginally better upgrades and buy potions and spells and other useless shit. I would honestly rather just play a set of brick breaker levels where it slowly gets harder. There are enemies walking around and you can shoot the ball into a store and buy things but honestly itís a huge waste of time and I went through 7 levels and I couldnít go back to the city and the pacing was so slow and tedious. You know in brick breaker when you are trying to get that last brick? Well try accidentally shooting it into the fucking store all the time which loads a new area all the time. Or shooting the ball into an enemy and taking damage because of it?! Abysmal
0.5/5

Those bricks need to be hit like 4 times to break.

Apparently Journey is outstanding, will have to play it sometime but $15 for 2-3 hours is pretty pricey and is turning me off at the moment.

Last edited by breakyoudown on Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16049
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Thu May 02, 2013 12:56 am

Indie gaming is my favorite form of gaming at the moment. I usually care more about upcoming indie games than the blockbuster titles because they are so much more creative. Right now I'm playing Don't Starve, which is a pretty fresh and exciting game. But as far as indie games go, I've played Minecraft, Terraria, the Binding of Issac, Dungeons of Dredmor, Proteus, Avernum, Anodyne, Braid, Limbo, Castle Crashers, Mark of the Ninja, Mount and Blade, Symphony, Treasure Adventure Game, and probably a lot more that I'm forgetting.

I also count a lot of the kickstarter projects as indie games, even if they are from big studios. Like the kickstarter RPGs from Obsidian and InXile. The lack of the publisher means they can really just do whatever they want, which is the essence of an indie game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 am

How could I forget Binding of Isaac, my favourite one
Minecraft is another that goes without saying

Have you heard of Dear Esther? All you do is walk in a linear path and listen to the narrator for 2 hours and then its over. My friend bought it and said it was horrible but he doesn't like stuff like that. I support bold strides in gaming, I might give it a shot one day

Since you're a big fan you should get out Lone Survivor, its very witty

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Fri May 03, 2013 1:38 am

I've heard of lone survivor, sounds interesting. I will most likely give it a try. Fez just came out on PC too, gonna be giving that one a shot.

Dear Esther is apparently fantastic, even if some people say it doesn't qualify as a game. But even if it's just an "interactive experience," it can be great. I for one adored Heavy Rain so I'm definitely open to more risky and experimental ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am

Have you ever tried Swords and Sorcery? It's an Ipad game and it's incredibly artsy but I just didn't get it and couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes. It was too confuseing

Also Bit Trip Runner, it's mildly fun but gets hard really fast. Don't see what the fuss is on these series. Sure they have really good music but you gotta have a good time playing it too

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

I actually haven't had the opportunity to play many ipad games. I have heard of it, I might force my roommate to download it so I can try it.

Lone Survivor definitely sounds interesting. Out of those, I've played Amnesia, Wizorb, Bastion, Castle Crashers and Braid. I might delve in and try the others. I actually somewhat enjoyed Wizorb though, especially considering it was only like two dollars on playstation
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

If I may be so bold, please watch this trailer. This is one of the few games I'd want to replay due to pure innovation and originality while borrowing strengths from its genre

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indie Gaming   

Back to top Go down

Indie Gaming
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1