Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bad mood man music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 2445
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Bad mood man music   Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 am

I don't really mind what genre and I'm looking for more good stuff to listen to that takes a grim tone. Can be any genre, but it has to be cathartic and somewhat wistful. I can post a few as an example for the feel of the music if you guys promise not to make fun of me hahahaha

Mothlite: Wounded Lions (experimental synthpop/ambient featuring Daniel O'Sullivan from Ulver, Guapo, et cetera)

Willard Grant Conspiracy: The Suffering Song (American folk/alternative country)

Černá: Restoring Life (American post-black metal/shoegaze)

P.S., the Arabic Zelda NPC can make link messages now, awesome. Hope you guys got some good ones
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25401
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Mon May 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Any genre as long as it's a depressive or grim tone eh?
On my lunch break at work at the moment and Youtube is blocked but I will upload a few tonight. I went through a SDBM phase back in the day. Ulver is an interesting band, none of their albums sound alike, or at least what I've heard.

I'm actually pretty jacked to listen to your songs as well. I'm the same way man I like the cheesy bullshit.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Top choice

Writer of this died

'

Also damn songs 2&3 you posted were sweet, recommend an album for me to try out or should I just get whatever?

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Mon May 06, 2013 11:21 pm

I had written off Woods of Ypres off before, don't know why! This song's pretty great stuff. I recall hearing about them either making albums very infrequently or breaking up, any confirmation? And should I just go for the album this is on?

OTWATM and Agalloch were (and to some extent, still are) a part of my listening repertoire for quite some time, seeing those were pretty appropriate

WGC is a really hard sell, but the album "Regard the End" doesn't do too wrong in the way of introducing a stripped down quasi-Swans experience. I can't recommend any of their other work as I haven't heard it, but who knows

Černá have their first album coming out in a few weeks, think it'll be one of the more important releases of the year

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Right? Woods of Ypres are some good old Ontario boys, adding some Canadian pride. I believe the death of David Gold resulted in the end of their band. Yeah this is the album to go for, their first: Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth.

Oh yeah eh? That's something to look forward to- so that is a single then off their first album then. Nice, will have to keep an eye on that.

Alternative country, that is quite appealing to me at the moment. I'm definitely going to have to tune into that tomorrow. Too tired today for anything to register at the moment. My hockey team is too busy barely losing games and stressing me out

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16104
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 am

Hmmm this is right up my alleyway. Lots of obvious choices like Agalloch and Katatonia and whatnot, I'll try to delve a little deeper if I can.

Altar of Plagues

Amesoeurs

Woods of Desolation

Old Silver Key

Novembre

The Morningside

Les Discrets

Lethian Dreams

Insomnium

Draconian

Heretoir

The Fall of Every Season

Forest of Shadows

ColdWorld
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 am

Damn, hadn't heard of Woods of Desolation before and I always wrote off Altar of Plagues because somebody told me they were nu-metal. Happy for the second guess, this is some incredible stuff you guys have here. Woods of Desolation sounds like Drudkh + Alcest, but not Old Silver Key! I'm not sure if they intended that to work the way that it did, and while I like Tales of Wanderings, I thought it was missing that Drudkh sound and focused more on the shoegaze/Neige-style, much to their chagrin I'm sure - too many Drudkh fans are out for blood because of it. I don't know why, it's not like they were ever really typical black metal to begin with, nor were they a force to get behind so ravenously that it's comparable to an NSBM outlet

Regrettably (perhaps not, for the sake of the commonplace), I have albums and cherish most of what you posted hahahah
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am

If I may stray from metal The National is a beautifully depressing band. The guitar riffs are very harmonic and the vocals are baritone and slow. Lovely band, I'll give you a double feature

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

Wow, that was actually pretty impressive, albums? (shit we need a request link thread now)

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been pretty much pimping The National for months here and nobody has taken an interest in them till now.

I would recommend "High Violet" and "Cherry Tree". I have a buddy who really likes their album "Aligator" but I haven't listened to enough times to put that one forth just yet.

But yeah, powerful band, kind of lulls you towards emotion. If you've ever seen the movie "Warrior" they use About Today at the ending scene. Man tears were shed from both recognizing the band, and the movie being really good. I'd even say its the best movie of 2011 but I'll shut the fuck up about Warrior now

Looking forward to listening to Willard tonight

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Not regrettable at all Gownam. That shows impeccable taste! A lot of those albums are ones I cherish most too.

Tales of Wanderings, at first, was a little strange. But, I didn't go into thinking it would be like Drudkh much. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to expand on Handful of Stars without fans crying foul like they did. I really enjoyed both records though, there were definitely a few gems on it. And I may sound like a fanboy, but I'm always excited to hear new Neige projects, and the Drudkh guys give it a more unique sound.

I think the new Altar of Plagues album has this nu-metal crap tinge to it from what I've heard. The few songs on youtube did turn me off, so I haven't even picked it up yet. But you can't go wrong with the earlier material.

@byd, really enjoyed the National. Gonna have to keep them on my radar

Also, forgot to add this to my list.

Haven't listened to these guys in awhile, but this has a pure, desolate sound. Great stuff, always puts me in a terrible mood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm

This one always made me feel pretty intense

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Good picks folks. I love Allagoch, Woods of Ypres and thats the only ColdWorld song I know.
This is bottom. I love the vocalist, but I think this song is too long. So I skipped to one of the cool parts.
http://youtu.be/OhOc_x6uDCU?t=3m
Intronaut's a really excellent, overlooked band that weaves subtle elements of prog into their metal. Gorgeous, I think.

Everybody's Crutch by The Skeleton Key on Grooveshark
This is skeleton key. their grinding, bitter, disharmonious chords are so venemous, they're the only only ones that can reach me when im in a really dark mood.
byd - The National just reminded me of Swans. They're sickly.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   Sat May 11, 2013 3:22 am

Gravy Gulper wrote:
Good picks folks. I love Allagoch, Woods of Ypres and thats the only ColdWorld song I know.
This is bottom. I love the vocalist, but I think this song is too long. So I skipped to one of the cool parts.
http://youtu.be/OhOc_x6uDCU?t=3m
Intronaut's a really excellent, overlooked band that weaves subtle elements of prog into their metal. Gorgeous, I think.

<object width="250" height="40" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="gsSong3573471452" name="gsSong3573471452"><param name="movie" value="http://grooveshark.com/songWidget.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value="hostname=grooveshark.com&songID=35734714&style=metal&p=0" /><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://grooveshark.com/songWidget.swf" width="250" height="40"><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value="hostname=grooveshark.com&songID=35734714&style=metal&p=0" /><span><a href="http://grooveshark.com/search/song?q=The%20Skeleton%20Key%20Everybody's%20Crutch" title="Everybody's Crutch by The Skeleton Key on Grooveshark">Everybody's Crutch by The Skeleton Key on Grooveshark</a></span></object></object>
This is skeleton key. their grinding, bitter, disharmonious chords are so venemous, they're the only only ones that can reach me when im in a really dark mood.
byd - The National just reminded me of Swans. They're sickly.

ColdWorld only has one album and one EP so far. I'd recommend picking them up. The full length album was the album that got me into "black metal" actually. Still one of my favorites.

Couldn't agree more about Intronaut. Just recently started getting into them, pretty great listen overall. Also Swans is fucking great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad mood man music   

Back to top Go down

Bad mood man music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1