Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Windows 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 3073
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Windows 8   Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm

First off i hope i'm putting this in the right spot.. lulz..

anyway with all this talk about Windows 8 lately has me all fired up & i wanna share my thoughts and what anyone else has to say about it.

Normally i don't care or really pay too much attention to the way Windows have been going, i have always owned a MS Operating System and most of the time it gets stuff done. I remember having my first stab at a Windows system. Windows 3.1. I never got much into DOS even though i lived through those days, possibly never using DOS.. or at a minimum. I've always enjoyed PC's ever since i played Oregon Trail and the first Sim City (think i played that on a MAC). Fast forward to my first PC i had Windows 98. It functioned quite like Win 95 i liked the improved interface, it looked good for it's time but i thought it could use more daring colors. Then XP came out. I found that system much more stable than the previous.. when it got slow it didn't crash at all or force me to reboot. Although during that time i figured out how to use the task manager "Control+Alt+Delete" from the previous windows showed me that MS has been working hard to make the OS function better and be more user friendly. Then Vista came out, i enjoyed it but with still a lack of computer knowledge at the time (although i was learning quite much) i picked up a few tricks with Vista but it was still slow and i was on the verge of just throwing the PC out the window and getting a new one. Now mind you that the PC i was running with had a PSU (Power Supply Unit) fan going bad and i didn't want to mess with it and not have a good backup PC (my first one is too slow now to use Windows) so i ended up waiting and finally Windows 7 came out.

Users praised it as faster and more reliable than Vista (Vista also had plenty of bugs) so i jumped right into Windows 7 and i could just say that it's better than Vista. Vista had the Aero interface which makes everything look cool (Aero Glass makes it look glossy), animated & productivity goes up with it. Soon after (well about 2 years later) the PSU fan died and i basically had a huge heat sink which caused the top of the case to be really hot (expecially during summer). Thankfully i only had to deal with 3 months of hot weather and i left the window open to try to cool off the PSU a little. Also had a basic fan blowing towards the case. But i finally built a new PC and then i managed to get my hands on some extra PSU's.. and well instead of replacing the PSU.. i decided to replace the fan! Yup.. lol. Well i probably just have watched too many MacGyver but hey i superglued my windshield wipers on my car (the rubber just came apart) & it wasn't perfect (some of the blade is a little torn but it works great otherwise.

Now that's when i realized the problem i had with Windows Vista & even Windows 7 was that i just didn't have enough memory, so i just added more memory and Windows 7 on my older machine worked great (well minus the lack of processing power). Single core processors are not good enough for Win 7 but the one i have does pretty well for the most part. Not overly speedy but during regular operations it does just fine. I still use my new computer for gaming though. But rather than having that run all the time i seperate the time between the 2.

Anyway.. that's not what i really came to talk about.. Windows 8..

Now i learned how to use Windows 8 fairly quick, but i really don't like the interface. Here's a couple reasons why. One.. things are more hidden. You're expected to touch the screen or use the mouse to touch a corner to find what you are looking for. Now if we were just starting off using PC's i might think that would be ok.. (maybe). But with already being familiar with the desktop & the most simple things are not hidden.. they are pretty easy to figure out since there is something to show you.. in other terms its a GUI. Graphics User Interface. Which means you have the ability to show anything on the screen. Windows 8 defeats that purpose in a away but also it kinda defeats the purpose of having either a tablet or a desktop PC. Take your pick. Desktop environments (like WIndows 7) allows users to multitask efficiently and have the ability to open multiple windows on top of one another or next to one another. They try to do this with the start screen/modern app environment in Windows 8 but it's still confined to the start screen. Now the other problem i have is the start menu vs the start screen. Both do pretty much the same thing except the start screen takes up the entire screen. Might be ok for some but to others the little menu pop up thing is all i really see needed.

Now a few things that i would have preferred MS to do to make Windows 8 a much better experience. One is the start menu could double as a start screen if people wished and the second is to have the modern apps either run in a window or for those that want full screen. Now the other thing is the gestures in the start screen (for touch environments) is extremely awkward with a mouse interface. Even with a touch screen.. on a desktop it would just be awkward to have to lean in and touch the screen when you want to do something. It doesn't seem very practical in a home environment. You can try this out without actually having a touch screen just to get the idea. Not to mention sometimes i like to lay down on the couch and throw my PC onto my 40" HDTV. Again touch isn't really practical with that and i have seen others do the same.. just need a wireless keyboard/mouse and a hookup from your PC to the TV and you're good to go.

Now i have been in plenty of heated arguments about Windows 8.. users have said just install a start shell or whatever.. you can argue all day and all night but that's not going to budge me from Windows 7. I can't name all the features missing on Win 8 from Windows 7 but to name one, there's a few Aero features missing. It's just looks but regardless i'm not a huge fan of WIn 8's style or look either. Needless to say i have a lot of issues with Windows 8. Sure.. there are a few good features to it like extras on the Task Manager and it's a little more speedy (probably due to the missing Aero features) and it might have a little better security under the hood. But say what you will about it i personally think that no matter what even if i did made the switch to Win 8 for whatever reason i'll be supporting MS in it's decision for the UI change. There's quite a bit of other users out there, especially older people who struggle with PC's they have a hard time using Windows XP or Windows 7 and if they struggle with the changes between Win XP and 7 they'll most likely be confused with WIndows 8. It's another reason why i am not liking it. We all know that change happens, but is it a good change or a bad one?

Take this forum for an example.. i came on here and i noticed a huge change.. well at first it's a learning curve but overall it's quite interesting.. i suppose it's a way to increase traffic on here and i don't hate it.. i still have to get use to it though. However the basics still remain, i know how to navigate around it and the interface itself hasn't changed. Windows 8.. the UI changed. It's like a tablet but it's on the desktop. I have an android phone with touch & i like it. There are a few things that i would like to see improved on it, like a way to properly close programs (instead of force closing it down) and well i haven't thought of the others quite yet but it's a nice little handy device. Windows 8 is just emulating touch and while you might still have a fairly decent amount of productivity, still its something left to need some major work on if it's designed to replace the desktop or the mouse/keyboard.

Well now that i have bored you with all this if you got any thoughts on Windows 8 feel free to mention them. Just remember to respect one another (i know you guys generally do Smile) but yea Windows 8 discussion can get really heated, but i think that's mostly because some people are just passionate about the future of desktops. Lol i don't like Windows 8 and sometimes i just want to slap those Win 8 fanboys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 2449
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm

The most massive problem I have with Windows 8 isn't the interface itself, despite it being the topic of popular debate. It's the distribution in which your HPs, Lenovos, Acers and other computer OEMs push this shit. Quite literally, Microsoft have empowered these distributors to lock your system down with what's called a UEFI partition to "make the operating system boot up smoother." This was Microsoft's brilliant idea to utilize new technology in solid state drives to boot faster at the compromise of modifying your operating system, thanks to rights management embedded into the software you purchased.

Say you own a copy of Windows 7 and you want to install it on a device that already has Windows 8 installed on it that doesn't have sufficient rights to do so. Too bad, says MS - buy a more expensive copy of Windows 8 and you can have the opportunity to downgrade to another OS.

Sound fishy?

spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, that generally happens with any MS OS though. If you think that's bad Apple's iOS is locked down to the hardware Apple releases. It really doesn't make sense but their overpriced Macs are indication enough they are trying to get extra money.

Microsoft does this to try to get users off the older OS (incompatibility issues) so they don't have to do updates for them.. if they can get people to start upgrading during every new OS release they got people hooked, lined and sinker. (Yeah terrible pun lol) Your best bet is to build your own PC capable of running the OS of your choice or to check on Ebay for a used model.

I am eventually going to get into Linux and maybe Apple, but they are no better than MS's forced setup. But this is why users should be doing research instead of just waltzing right into a store and picking out the first PC they think they would like. With the economy it's tough to have a wide selection to choose from. That's the only thing that i really enjoyed out of this monetary system but since it's going downhill it's pretty much survival of the fittest. MS thinks they can win with Windows 8 but depending on how things go, what users really want only time will tell.

I am just afraid that MS will continue to dismantle what was good with Windows to begin with. There are ways around Windows 8. Like i said the best way is to build your own PC (i go to newegg you can ask if you're not sure if the hardware will support your favorite OS) or to get a used PC off the internet or from somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11227
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm

i have windows 8. i agree, its a bit strange. it took me like 3 months to figure out how to turn off the damn computer...still really dont know off the top of my hear right now either haha. i think it is a bit safer though. when i downloaded mozzila firefox, it came bundled with a bunch of malware that came in the form of apps(no idea how this happened), and all i needed to do was just uninstall them. google said i needed to go through a lengthier process but i didn't need to. i guess that was for windows 7 and earlier

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm

That is weird. Did you download it from the site directly? I would have mentioned that to them although they may have been trying to throw malware on Win 8 machines to annoy the users.

I just use google but i also have firefox on as well incase something happens to Chrome or i have problems accessing a site. Windows 8 for sure has some extra security features built into it.. although Windows 7 has been updating Windows Defender (quite annoying since it's every other day). I generally use Avast though, there's a free version and i have noticed it's been working for internet sites. I suggest you get that, but you might have to turn off Windows Defender (yeah even since i don't have mine on it still does updates through the Windows Update area).

Yeah unfortunately this kinda goes against my stance on Windows 8 but considering your probably stuck with it and are not all that computer savvy. Here's a site to get your start menu back (and possibly the power settings on the computer) - http://www.classicshell.net/

But before you do that you should probably get http://www.avast.com/en-us/index it's free (i mean unless you already have one, if your paying for it though i'd switch to Avast.. it's saved my PC quite a lot.. had some virial emails that it blocked) it shouldn't conflict with Windows Defender, but if it does you can go here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-73.html

They can most likely help you out a bit quicker as well if you let them know something went wrong. Again though as much as i don't like Windows 8 that'll hopefully tide you over at least. If it were up to me though i'd probably just reinstall Windows 7 although like Gwonam said, it's almost impossible. However the only way i see to get around the UEFI problem is to replace the SSD or HDD with another one. You might also be able to take it out and wipe it out utilizing another PC but the only problem with taking it out is that it voids the warranty if it's a name brand.

I will suggest that you do be careful in the future with any MS product. It seems that MS won't stick to one UI now that Windows 8 is proof, some people call it evolution, i call it de-evolution. I find Windows 8 to be a means to a hidden agenda MS has. It's also less efficient than standard desktop environments. With the desktop (including the start menu) it's effective with multitasking. You can have multiple windows open and easily select through them, with the start menu you can select a new program while staying focused on the existing one you are using. With Windows 8's new start screen that changes a little bit.

Modern apps are not in a windowed environment like the desktop, you can only see one at a time and then it's really awkward how you close the program out. No X to let you just click on it. Heck, even with a touch screen that is possible. And not to mention there are many well hidden features that really doesn't need to be hidden. It's like they are trying to create a tablet UI instead of focusing on the desktop. My greatest fear tho, is that MS will kill off the desktop, but long as there is a market for that, we still have Linux and Apple.
Back to top Go down
fazango
Enigma

Number of posts : 37
Hedonistic Glory : 1723
Joined In : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't like how MS is shoving its cloud down your throat every step of the way in W8. i mean google does the same thing, but in such a classier way that MS is doing it.

also, this whole metro UI thing is the reason I will never get a Windows Phone and I will never upgrade from Win7 lol it's fucking disgusting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spineshank155

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   Sat May 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Now they're trying to release an OS every year. Windows 8.1 for an example is it's own OS (if i understand that correctly) so it's not a service pack. Having to refresh my OS is one thing (and that's not even needed much anymore) but having to upgrade to the latest service pack like a new OS is just ridiculous. Don't understand why MS is trying to throw that out the window.

Windows 8 in itself is just confusing. The OS itself isn't that hard to learn but the way they are doing it is confusing. There are some people believing that the desktop PC is going out the door in favor for laptops, phones and tablets. But there are a fairly good chunk of gamers out there who don't buy brand pc's, they generally build their own or there are a few companies like Alienware that do custom builds. I myself am moving away from name brands and building my own. However with MS's Windows 8 and their new way of rolling out service packs (they aren't even called service packs anymore) along with the idea that change is good, doing a modern touch UI with the desktop and thinking it will work along with all those doomsday sayers for the desktop PC, there won't be much of a desktop left by the time they get through with massacring the desktop UI.

I never have and never will see the point in getting a windows tablet/phone. It's great if your a fan of MS products but at the time of Windows 7 MS was still doing things fine in my book. Besides having stricter authentication keys and removing a few basic things like the graphic defragmenter it's no big deal when pilform is a reputable software website/company. I guess it's time for change. I'm already learning Linux and i might get into Apple a little bit but for now i am staying away from Windows (minus Windows 7 of course) because i fear MS's new direction will eventually fail and have a huge backlash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8   

Back to top Go down

Windows 8
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1