Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shade Empire: Omega Arcane

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 2445
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am

Shade Empire were always one of those bands I would hear about through peoples' teeth, in a "love it or hate it" tone. From their onset, they've crafted somewhat accessible symphonic black metal that seems to be hit or miss depending on what form the chameleon band takes, be it imitating their influences and contemporaries or trying to break the mold to little yield. Think Septicflesh's later years and the European symphonic BM drove in the mid '90s as inspirations for this vein of metal.

They've performed with this method or went the way of experimenting far more than is palatable in records past. Their debut, Sinthetic, saw an almost even fusion of keyboard-dominant, aggressive metal with a symphonic veneer embalming the record, applying the album's namesake to the style of the music with the tried-and-true formula of sacrilege and anarchy all too commonplace in the black metal community.

Omega Arcane, their latest record which released May 6, dances with a style they've cultivated while reinforcing the paradigms of the genre they're (perhaps to their chagrin) confined to. This record is a culmination of their career, and exists far from the heavy-handed attempts at experimenting instead of relegating themselves to the fact that they are, indeed, a metal band first and everything else second. Avoiding the pitfall of stagnation at this point may be futile, but on their most ambitious record an important decision was made to deal with what they were dealt. The results are, to say the least, fantastic.

Comparisons are difficult to make with this album. From my experiences of spinning the album a couple of times, it's all too easy to cite Septicflesh's recent offerings, Communion and The Great Mass, Dimmu Borgir's Death Cult Armageddon and Fleshgod Apocalypse, but even then Omega Arcane has clawed free its own identity and will stand the test of time along side these records, unlike their previous works.

tl;dr: if you're a fan of well produced symphonic black metal that isn't afraid to take a break to bring out some beauty in the chaos of the affair, then Omega Arcane is your album.

4/5

http://shadeempire.com
http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Shade_Empire

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25401
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 pm

I was a pretty decent fan of symphonic black metal for quite a while and listened to a few of the albums listed. I remember Windir was definitely at the top of my list, do you listen to them much?

Will listen to the album tonight.

I gotta say the Album art is always such a class act- I would easily have half of them as the logo of this website. There was one band in particular that excelled at this: Augury. Damn

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Windir seems more classical black metal if anything, and a very fine example of it at that. It does get a little folk in its step here and there and some synthesizers are certainly evident but Valfar's concept of black metal seemed to line up with Varg Vikernes' - you know, without the racism, the horrible production and the music actually being music.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25401
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Thu May 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Home from work, listened to the video. Exactly what I was expecting. Dare I say traditional symphonic black metal?

I wonder if you've heard of this band?

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 am

I really haven't heard of Blazing Eternity. I think a friend of mine mentioned them once before but I didn't take the time to delve into it.

Nice flange effect they've got going on for their bridges, in a way this reminds me of Pale Folklore, I have no idea why! It's probably the post-punk riffing coupled with the guitar tone

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 am

really liked where the song went at 3:48, but excellent throughout. not to unermine how good this is, but I can see how this will sound cheesy and old some day. you know? the way that bands like nightwish and sirenia sound to me now.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Sirenia was cool.... when I was 12

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16104
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Tue May 14, 2013 2:43 am

Very well-written review sir!

I haven't actually had a chance to delve into this band's material before, but I must say I enjoyed the clip you included. I did get that Septicflesh kinda vibe from them, but it definitely had it's own feel to the music. I'll probably end up giving this album a spin based off your review and that clip, it sounds like it would be a fun listen. I don't listen to as much of the symphonic stuff as I used to, but it's refreshing to hear a band with a relatively unique identity in the genre. I like that it doesn't have the weird circus vibe like DB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 am

I know DB use it as a gimmick so it doesn't bother me that much. It's music targeted for angry, impressionable kids that decided they didn't want to go to church that Sunday. It's a guilty pleasure to me growing up but I think even they realize how ridiculous they are. A testament to it being very much like a circus act was the publicity stunt that Snowy Shaw of Therion should join the band only to leave a day later, an act in which both parties seemingly knew very well what would happen. They're theatrical and aggressive, and if you can somehow peel back the fact that it's funny to hazard a thought that these guys are the 'real deal, Satanic black metal cult 666,' then perhaps people could shove that in the back of their head and listen to their music for what it's worth: a relatively well produced journey through symphonic metal with tinges of black metal. That's all it really is at the end of the day, just a vacuum for emotion

I mean just look at my avatar, does that say "evil Satanic necroband" or "we really can't even take ourselves seriously on stage"

And then you have fans like this: http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/08/26/no-way-this-is-real-is-it/

I don't get that sort of feel from Shade Empire. I don't see this band garnering that sort of status and I fear that this album - as good as it is - will be their last meaningful one.

The facemask thing does look a little ridiculous but I have to give credit where it's due: they've been trying to do something new for the better part of a decade and every time they would, they came out sounding like more of the same synthesizer-laden black metal trying to do something it isn't meant to. Now with more acts doing the same thing it doesn't sound so alien in comparison. I can easily see how people would be put off by this genre thanks to its knee-jerk reactionary fan base that cry havoc should you point out the apparent truth of what the band really is: a musical outlet and not a cult.

This isn't just your average orchestra-for-hire metal album like Delain, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Epica, and so on... but I do understand the point that this genre is incredibly over-saturated. I don't want to sound like I'm being paid to promote these guys or anything because I'm not that hard up about them, but hey, I think this really is a diamond in the rough of symphonic black metal

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16104
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I think that's what I like about this band so far - they genuinely like the style of music and don't seem to be playing off any gimmicks. I find myself enjoying a decent amount of symphonic stuff, but it's for a very specific mood. I actually own and enjoy a few DB albums (the first two, mostly) but again, it's for a very specific mood
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I can say that this is comparable to their Death Cult Armageddon, if you've heard the record. Difference is, this is better than that one!

Stormblast (not that awful remake, the original) and For All Tid are albums I actually own that have seen rotation many a time growing up, if only for my want to know how the band got started. When I was about 13, I never understood what people saw in that kind of black metal: that it wasn't the "true" black metal that later albums like Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia were.

Man, was I absolutely backwards.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shade Empire: Omega Arcane   

Back to top Go down

Shade Empire: Omega Arcane
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1