Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Thrasho de Mayo VI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10836
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Sun May 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Been looking forward to this show for a while now. My friends and I all went for Morbid Saint but there were a few key bands that I also really wanted to see: Speedwolf, Nunslaughter, and Ghoul. This show was an all day event and it started at 3 PM and went on for who knows how long. It was a 2 1/2 drive when taking in to account LA traffic from Santa Barbara to the fabulous rundown East Los Angeles. The show was split up into two stages, an indoor and outdoor, and they alternated times to the point where one band would set up during another's performance, so you could just go to one stage after a band finishes and see the very beginning of the other band.

Velocity

Decent enough band, they clearly took a huge influence from the German thrash scene (Kreator, Destruction, and the like) and the vocalist seemed to try his best to sound like a combination of James Hetfield and Phil Anselmo. Nothing that exciting really but they were fun. They had one particularly cool part with some bass line shenanigans.

Madrost

I didn't particularly like these guys all too much, they seemed to have spawned in the same time that all of the Thrash revival bands came about. Plus their frontman has to be the tiniest Thrash man I've ever seen. He was shorter than my friend and he's no taller than 5'4". Everyone else seemed to like them, so it could just be me.

Infinite Death

First non-thrash band of the day. They were some melodic black metal band. They weren't very fun. Frontman was the only one wearing corpsepaint and it looked out of place and silly.

Xpulsion

Another thrash revival sounding band. They were decently fun live but nothing all too interesting. Drummer was cross-eyed or had a dead eye, was kinda creepy.

Sakrificer

More thrash revival madness! These guys were better than the rest though and they knew how to bring the thrash.

Skipped the next band to get some glorious tacos and beer. Glorious they were.

Speedwolf

First non-local California band of the day and one of the main reasons I wanted to go. They're also one of the few non-thrash metal bands to play; they're something like fast heavy metal, similar to Motorhead and the old "speed metal" of the 80s Before their set, I went over to their booth and talked to their vocalist Reed, who was a giant among men--might explain why his voice is so deep, he was at least 2-4 inches taller than I am and I'm around 6'2". Their set was very tight and they played all of the fan favorites plus a new song. Killer band live and I want to see them again. While I wasn't particularly pleased by it, they cut their set short to allow the following band to play.

Witchaven

These guys took the last 20 minutes or so of Speedwolf's set. This was fairly upsetting considering that Speedwolf was one of the main reasons I went to this concert, however, I am already quite familiar with this band and I knew that they put on a great live show and I like their stuff to a good degree. As expected, they put on a good show and the crowd went nuts. People started crowdsurfing and this went on for the rest of the night. Killer performance by these dudes as always. Recommended for those that want thrash revival black/thrash that doesn't suck.

Mantic Ritual

These guys are probably one of the originators of the thrash revival scene of the past few years. I've heard good things about them, but honestly, they weren't that good live. Maybe it was an off day, or maybe they just couldn't compare to Speedwolf and Witchaven.

Nunslaughter

Satanic sleaze sums up this band quite well. I am not the most familiar with their songs but I knew enough about them to want to see them. These guys easily had one of the best crowd interactions of the night, with Jim Sadist (the drummer) doing most of the in between song crowd work with Don of the Dead (the vocalist) playing the part of the "zombie puppet," that is just doing awesome gestures and adding to Jim Sadist's awesome blasphemy and sleaze. Some of the more amusing comments were him telling the lights guy to turn off the lights because he loves the dark, saying that he wanted to fuck baby Jesus, telling the crowd that he wants any satanic sluts to go meet him after the show (Don interjected and said that he would like the same thing) and asking the crowd to contribute their satanic powers. If you ever have the chance to go see these guys and you're a fan of sleazy blasphemy, then I highly recommending going.

The next band was Fuled by Fire, but I don't remember them at all, too drunk at this point of the night.

Ghoul

Oh lordy, easily the best live act of the night. Everything about the Creepsylvanian was phenomenal. Their gimmick is just amazing--they're like GWAR except their music doesn't suck and they're way more funny too. Okay, maybe they're not like GWAR and just wear sacks over their heads and do awesome shit on stage. They, along with Nunslaughter, also had some of the best crowd interactions of the night, if not the best. Some notable moments were Digestor (the vocalist/guitarist) claiming to be hungry and then Baron Samedi (yes there was a guy dressed up as him) bringing a baby on stage and then Digestor biting its neck and having blood spew out of it and then Baron Samedi dumping the rest of it into the crowed (I got covered in baby blood woo). Another great moment was them bringing out a skateboard and Cremator (the bassist/back-up vocalist) asking the crowd if they knew that California was the skating capital of the world, then quickly saying that they audience was wrong and the the skating capital is actually Bangladesh. Then they threw the skateboard into the crowd and Cremator said that he didn't mind if someone died in the audience trying to get the skateboard so long as their body was left in a marked meat sack and left on his doorway. Another awesome thing was Cremator acknowledging that people keep asking what's under their sacks. He finally gave in to the demands of the audience and took off his sack... revealing an identical sack underneath. I love their stage antics to so much. Cremator destroyed his bass at the end of What a Wonderful World (their take on the Louie Armstrong's classic tune), however they came back on stage and Digestor asked him if he remembered that they had an encore. Cremator shrugged and said he was too drunk to remember. Vintage Ghoul. The music was also killer.

Sat out the following band by actually sitting outside. Was way too tired by this point (10 PM) and just wanted to see Morbid Saint.

Morbid Saint

The main reason why my friends and I went to this show. This was their first ever west coast appearance and boy was it worth the wait. Great crowd interaction and they played pretty much everything off of Spectrum of Death. There isn't really much to say about them really other than their performance spoke for itself. Easily one of the best bands of the night and one of the best bands I have seen.

M.O.D. were going to headline over Morbid Saint but it was around 12:30 by the time Morbid Saint finished so we just left. Ended up getting a Ghoul baseball t-shirt thing and some stickers. The drive home was killer, and I got back to my place at around 2:30. Promptly fell asleep.

Other thoughts: For whatever reason, the outdoor venue had better sound than the indoor venue. It's usually the other way around. They stopped selling beer at around the Nunslaughter set, which was pretty fucking lame. Was there from 3 to 12:30 and it was fucking grueling at the end but well worth it. I got kicked in the head by one of the many stage divers/crowd surfers of the night, but it's fine. Some 20 something chick was dating a 15 year old kid and it was really weird. Almost said something but decided not to (wasn't drunk enough to act out as an asshole). Also drink lots of water kids if you're going to be drinking at an active concert because you will feel the effects of dehydration. Had a gnarly headache by the time Ghoul went on stage. Some guy tried to sell us crystal meth, was kind of amusing. Gatorade has dem electrolytes.

Last edited by Taxer666 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11223
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Sun May 12, 2013 11:55 pm

awesome review. i also appreciate the health information at the bottom. im gonna need like a good hour to put aside to listen to everything though haha

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Im pretty jealous that you saw Speedwolf. Review made me chuckle a few times. Good read. Glad you had fun.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25401
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Mon May 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Baron Samedi is such a stylish song you gotta love the gimmicks that go with the show. Well played

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10836
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Updated the original post with some live clips from the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16104
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 am

Wow sounds like a legendary time! I would have loved to have been there, especially to see Witchaven, Ghoul and Morbid Saint.

Ghoul in particular sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to see live. I love when bands have humorous stage antics, and I imagine Ghoul does it pretty damn well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrasho de Mayo VI   

Back to top Go down

Thrasho de Mayo VI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1