Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

ADHD= fake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11054
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: ADHD= fake   Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm

http://www.worldpublicunion.org/2013-03-27-NEWS-inventor-of-adhd-says-adhd-is-a-fictitious-disease.html

always thought so haha

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm

yeah ive always said its a disease whose symptoms are far too common.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25232
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Fri May 17, 2013 5:14 pm

My best friend says he has ADHD and is really sensitive when I call him out on things where he should have more concentration because I find it kind of bullshit. The thing is that he is way smarter than me and he uses big words and then it's downhill from there. While he is texting or watching tv and you try to talk to him he does have a lot of trouble hearing what you said. I'm not sure what to say about this

TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6561
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm

I just watched a special on this today. Crazy world we live in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10667
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

First of all, that website is a conspiracy website, so take the article with a grain of salt. Second of all, from what I was able to dig up, Eisenberg said that it was an overdiagnosed illness. Just because someone posts a meme on Facebook doesn't make it true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11054
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 am

some of the things in the article I think are good points. The whole "it makes children not be able to learn how to change behavior independently" thing makes sense to me. your right though, could just be over-diagnosis

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 3:15 am

And because of the over diagnosis, kids get put on drugs at early ages. Then side effects emerge and they take more drugs for the side affects. Then the brain metabolism gets all fucked up and the neurotransmitter balance changes with age. Soon, these kids that were misdiagnosed are swallowing huge cocktails of pills. my friend will shakes because of the psychotropics, lithium and dextroamphetamine he has to take. original diagnosis was depression. kids in foster homes are on being drugged 13x more prevalently than kids with parents. Drugs are a business and making our psychodeficiencies (some of which aren't even so meddlesome or maladaptive that they demand treatment) sound scary by calling them diseases is the only way to pedal it.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 am

I think its a bad idea to think hyperactivity and not paying attention in class is a symptom of ADHD

I had tons of both when I was a boy just like everyone else in the class and I was never suspected of it

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10667
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 pm

According to Ken Robinson, a leading spokesperson on education, says that the problem itself is the way school is structured is the cause of the misdiagnosis of ADHD. If the way we structured the school system was different, then there would probably be less misdiagnosis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 pm

One of my friends was deaf in one ear so our teachers were required to wear a microphone for a lot of the time and you certainly paid more attention then

fazango
Enigma

Number of posts : 37
Hedonistic Glory : 1550
Joined In : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 8:20 pm

okay i don't think fake is the right word, and like some of you have said it is extremely common.

but if you have an ADHD friend, like BYD described, their symptoms can be pretty obvious at times.

i just think it's treated wrongly. i think ADHD can be treated (maybe not in every case, but a lot of them) with just psychotherapy. omitting use of [unusually potent and dangerous] medication is not only healthy at face value, but it can empower the kids to explore their weaknesses and correct them themselves.

the lack of attentiveness and [to a lesser extent, the] hyperactivity aren't the same kinds of symptoms as low blood sugar or tachycardia. it may not be just like it, but you can liken it to the overwhelming negativity in a depressive or the difficulty distinguishing reality in a psychotic patient.

just like the treatment for the aforementioned illnesses (therapy w/ anti-depressant/anti-psychotic), weekly psychotherapy paired with, if necessary, a weak stimulant (definitely not ritalin, adderall or vyvanse), is definitely going to be more effective in the long run that heavily drugging 9 year olds...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 2900
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 pm

I was never diagnosed as ADHD, i just had a learning disability, but in turn i don't always fail at learning. Heck, i learned how to use a computer inside and while i can diagnose the software side a little (mostly just doing system cleanups, virus scanning the regular stuff) and the fact i can learn new things, i just can't do it by reading a textbook or taking tests. Heck i don't remember half of the stuff they teach in school and when people have ADHD they just don't have interest in the stuff they teach in school. For good reason.

And taking drugs don't always fixes the problem because it's tough to even properly diagnose a problem when you don't really know if it exists or not. Really instead of looking at the schools not being able to teach these kids with learning/attention problems they think the kid is behaving improperly or that he/she has some kind of disability. There are also factors including living conditions, how well your parents are behaving themselves when confronted with a problem. A teacher or a parent believes the kid has ADHD but in reality school is just boring or the kid sees life differently than most.

I did average in science and english class, but i learned physics on my own and figured out how to interpret some music lyrics (even though they might not be what the artist wrote it for) but that doesn't mean i didn't try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADHD= fake   

Back to top Go down

ADHD= fake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1