Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 2331
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

At about 3:30 AM this morning, my girlfriend and I were on our way to the usual spot at the gas station to get some coffee and snacks before we went into work when suddenly this well-dressed black male approaches us as we close the door to the beverage cooler.

He introduced himself as "KG the CEO," which is when I immediately lost interest in what he had to say. I yanked my coffee from the cooler and proceeded to listen to him prattle on about how he's an up and coming rap artist in my hometown, and how he has a deal of 3 CDs for the low price of 20 USD. One of them was, as he described, a "CD with some slick cuts for the fellas, one with some R&B for the ladies," in which he started nodding in my girlfriend's direction, and one with how much he loved our hometown/state of residence.

I couldn't find it in myself to give a shit about any of this, so I made up some bullshit excuse about how I don't have any money (which more often than not is true) and had to get to work, to which he gave me a variety of links in which to contact him should I find myself wanting of his music.

Maybe you guys will be interested in this sort of thing. I really hate my life sometimes.

http://reverbnation.com/kg256
http://twitter.com/KGTHECEO

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25287
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Hah, this reminded me of when I was in New York I was just minding my own business and a guy that looked like that came up to me and said "Here, cool guy, listen to my album".

I didn't take it

I don't think he meant it

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 am

I caved in and looked at his twitter. He really does care about "pushing that product" at the "cona" store. I'm guessing he meant corner, but for all I know this could be more of the same butchery of language that this particular genre of music tends to execute.

I don't think I'll be returning to that gas station, which is a shame because the cashier empathized with me, asking as quietly as he could, in half-jest, half-concern if I had "survived that encounter." I wonder how many times he's had to deal with KG and more like him since his stint there. I don't know about this place.

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10722
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 am

That shit's just too funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 pm

I feel like that'd be a really good way to promote yourself if he targeted a demographic that wasn't so random.

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11109
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

this is always funny when this happens. i find it funny when people that do this assume whoever they are talking to likes the genre they do. If its a free demo, I'll be nice and take it. free is free- no harm no foul. it makes sense from a promotional perspective. but its honestly laughable if someone goes up to you, and you asks you pay 20 bucks for music from an artist you've never heard of from a genre you dont listen to. i admire the man's moxy though, but his energy would be better targeted at the right demographic.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I was in my work attire, which doesn't exactly resonate with the demographic he would want to target. The problem with the demographic is that I've shown this to people who actually go for this sort of music and even they find these methods ridiculous.

I expect demos to be passed out or purchased at a venue or a related gathering. Not a goddamn gas station!

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 am

the dumbfounding part was that it wasn't even "Free demos"... he expected you to pay

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of it being dumbfounding that people even purchase music that they like in the Youtube/Spotify/iTunes age of the internet. Too many people think they're fans of musicians they don't even support, and those that do are pretty few and far in between. To think that with how many preview websites that allow streaming access to file formats that one would assume that using these methods as distribution to get the word out alongside doing shows, venues, and all the live musician business would be enough to break ground if your material was decent enough.

But to push a trifecta of CDs with less than par Lightscribe painted on them for the "low" price of 20 USD at a gas station in your Sunday best to a person far outside the target demographic for such a thing? Preposterous doesn't begin to describe it.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Almost as stupid as printing out pieces of paper for a forum and giving it out at parties

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 pm

I know you're just being silly, but you aren't trying to sell the forum as a legitimate product! LOR's situation has occurred with me a few times when people would pass out demos for free (Blackguard actually camped out at a Dark Tranquillity concert I went to and passed out demos when they were just getting started, was pretty cool) and landed them in insanely cool places. It just goes to show what the power of word of mouth is versus trying to peddle art. It doesn't work like this hahahaha

Personally, I believe that the things you and others around the site have done to try to promote activity and expansion are a far cry from anything this stupid. A lot of creativity and wit goes into it and it's noticed by the usual community I believe

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Yeah I agree for sure. He thought of a good idea but the marketing aspect wasn't there at all.

Blackguard! That's a band I haven't listened to in ages. Wouldn't mind a listen to that again.

Thanks dude I may try it out again, it was definitely a conversation starter at least haha

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 pm

blackguard are cool guys

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station   

Back to top Go down

Music peddler, KG "the CEO" meeting at a goddamn gas station
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1