Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 2278
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

While Fox News is rarely a source of any legitimate information, this post is particularly amusing in the gesture that current government officials blame the city's corruption for the reason it landed itself in "roughly 19 billion USD" of debt. I don't know about you, but private enterprise isn't government, and corruption at the private level involves a lot of pruning within a company. You could easily see that sort of shit happening with Chrysler roughly 10 to 15 years ago, but the carryover into government affairs was probably minimal, likely due to that no matter how great of a car you build, you're also likely be a terrible politician. Detroit needs no further proof that its denizens are corrupt. The federal and state governments have been hit with a bankruptcy claim.

Now, I understand why some corporations, residences and other institutions go bankrupt. But this isn't just one school, or one Sears, or one condominium. But this? This is from the whole goddamn city of Detroit.

I don't see any other recourse for them but to do anything past restructure debt and create programs for paying said debt off while still maintaining the meager quality of life for the remaining 700K would be the start and end of it. Bankruptcy of this magnitude climbs its way from the city government to anybody collecting Social Security, benefits at a state level, disability, unemployment, to the taxation of people who are trying not to milk the government - the few people left that have jobs despite their dismal 23% unemployment rate.

I'm not sure this is the right decision, but it seems to be the only decision. Detroit won't pony up to its own problems.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power."

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25234
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:25 pm

I've read the following:
Detroit maintains 13,000 government workers but has 22,000 government retirees burrowed into the body politic, and their health-care subsidies alone account for nearly $200 million of the city’s budget. Pensions alone already account for a quarter of city spending; in three years, they will account for half. Pensions and city workers’ health-care subsidies account for $561 per year from every resident of Detroit, which has a very poor population — average monthly income of barely $1,200 before taxes, a fifth of the population in poverty, etc. The official unemployment rate is 30 percent; the real rate is much higher.

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm sure the reality is within the margins of Fox and your news source. Detroit is pretty dilapidated and its current state is by and large thanks to corruption that's been passed down from government officials to the public. If you can't send your debt overseas, making your city eat it seems to be their answer.

Still, a bankruptcy of that magnitude should prove as a demonstration for any cities on the brink that this sort of negligence and corruption will only serve to destroy commerce, government and, least of all, reputation. Anybody associated with Michigan politics will be scrutinized for their ties to corruption and conspiracy due to this.

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10669
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 pm

The source of Detroit's woes is de-industrialization. Corruption seems to be one of the effects that was caused by it. Detroit held on to its old union policies in order to keep it's increasingly impoverished population complacent, but it only came back to bite them in the ass. Combine that with corruption and we got ourselves a recipe for chaos. I really don't know what we could do to fix Detroit's woes. Government intervention would be a short-term solution, but if they keep the same politicians, unemployment, and policies, they will end up in the same mess again in the future. The whole structure and foundation of the city would need a complete overhaul, but I doubt such a drastic measure would garner sufficient support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 pm

The abandonment of industry in Detroit shows precisely how private enterprise corrupted otherwise law abiding politicians. It isn't a far stretch to believe that because of things like right-to-work and unions, and the apparent desire to inflate shares on the exchange via outsourcing. People like to paint the tragic picture that machines have taken over for the man in the warehouse, but that isn't entirely the case. Why else would the government bother to assist large corporations like GM/Chrysler? Goodwill? I hope Dave Bing has a good sense of humor.

Detroit politicians today can hardly blame corporations for outsourcing work in the mid-1980s for their current economic issues, and from the glance I've had at press releases featuring some of these politicians they're all wearing this mask of solemnity. Convenient, especially if you're vying for state or federal assistance. Funny how when one business partner gets a leg-up, they sell.

You hit the nail on the head that this stunt will only get them so far. Seems like typical unemployment line shit.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25234
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm

How much has the population decreased over time? Rather than solving some of the crime they seem to just want to move select individuals elsewhere. Obviously its not as easy as "solving" but -...I have no idea.

Where do they go from here?

Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:55 am

According to various sources including Newsfeed, it peaked at roughly 2 million during the 1950s. It hovered around 1.8m during the 1980s and since 2000, the population shrunk more than 25% to almost 700k flat. This is supposed to be the nation's fourth largest city and I doubt with those numbers that anybody's buying it.

You can't solve every embezzlement or fraud case out there. Some of those guys cover their tracks a little too well.

I don't think there's a right answer for their problems. You dug up some sobering facts about their pensioners, but aren't they technically entitled to that? I'd get a little pissed off if I suddenly were ushered back into the work force at 60+ because my pension was yanked out from beneath me. Nevertheless, the state's passed out more than it's generated.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks   

Back to top Go down

Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1