Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Top 5 Kung Fu Movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25286
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Top 5 Kung Fu Movies   Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Seeing my signature prompted me to make this thread. I think martial arts is a beautiful thing in film because there is often themes of honour in them as well. It's cheesy, but sometimes I look for that.

Honourable Mentions:

Jet Li's Fearless:
I personally think Jet Li's movies tend to be weak. But nearing the end of Jet's career he released a beautiful movie. In Fearless there are long periods of time when there are fights, and no fighting scenes at all. It's a journey. He starts of being the best warrior in his town, to realizing how he has been abusing his strength. He comes full circle and finds a lot of meaning in his life. Great movie.

The Raid: Redemption
This Indonesian film caught me way off guard. I didn't even expect it to be a Kung-Fu movie. A police team (SWAT?) invades a slum skyscraper. As they ascend the floors they run into more and more goons that they have to take down. The main character is thin, but is just a tank when it comes down to stunts and fighting numerous people by himself. I was smiling and cheering throughout most of the movie. This movie is extremely watchable. Just when you think the movie is out of tricks, they keep you entertained.

5. Wheels on Meals
To be frank. This film is a comedy for about 75% of the movie. In fact, there is barely any combat at all until the last half and hour. But oh what a final act that turns out to be. Jackie Chan is truly at his peak here. Everyone will remember him for Rush Hour but this is honestly what people should be watching. The excitement is pretty mild and then it gets throttled in the ending scene.Do yourself a favor and watch the clip

He doesn't look too tough, but but god is he fast

4. Ong Bak
This is a story about a young man who lives in a village. The Buddah statue in his home is decapitated and is stolen to a gang in the big city of Bangkok (I think). He leaves his home and meets a few troublesome friends there. During his stay he gets involved in a Fight Club, and the audience is delighted with some of the finest chase scenes. The fight club offers some of the best fighting in the movie, especially because of how innocent he looks in comparitimeto the brutes he faces. The main characters name escape me, but at times he'll be running from a gang, and some of the stunts he performs are absurd (Not Jackie Chan absurd but still well done). The stunts are ranging from running across peoples shoulders, to climbing obstacles in a stupidly fast fashion. His style of fighting you typically wont see very often at all. Very rarely does he punch anyone. Sporting Muai Thai, he fights with his elbows and knees. And yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.

3. Enter the Dragon
Bruce Lee, the man, the legend. Brucie only really has four mainstream movies, and this stuck out to me to be the best one, although most prefer The Chinese Connection which features Bruce Lee’s famous dojo fight scene. Enter the Dragon offers a James Bond feel. Bruce infiltrates the bad guys mansion that happens to be hosting a martial arts tournament. In reality there are some crimes going on and the actual goal is to find recruits to lead to more evil schemes or something. Anyways, Bruce goes in there with some friends and just completely outclasses everyone he fights. A lot of films shows Bruce as a very soft compassionate man. I think Jackie Chan completely mirrors that personality. BUT – in this movie Bruce Lee is very stoic and spends most of the movie frowning and being intimidating. It’s pretty fun watching him ditch the goofy act and start acting like a badass. There is a ton of satisfaction watching the bad guys mess up all kinds of characters, then when they face Bruce they can’t even land a hit. Rest in peace Bruce. This was a masterpiece- quite funny too.

This is the first movie wear you can actually hear Bruce Lee speak and not a dub

2. The Legend of the Drunken Master
This is Jackie Chan’s best movie. Seriously forget the following movies: Rush Hour, Shanghai Knights, Around the world in 80 Days, and other Hollywood bullshit. Doesn’t show Jackie’s skillset whatsoever at all. This film bases its knick-kack theme over Jackie Chan’s ability to perform “Drunken boxing”. Exactly how it sounds. There are several fight scenes where Jackie needs to get wasted while fighting opponents because being drunk allows him to not only resist a lot of pain, but allows for extremely fluid and unpredictable attacks that are hilarious to watch. This is a sort of sequel to a movie he did in the 70s simply titled “Drunken Master” I believe. That is a classic, but the English dub is pretty brutal and the cheese is just all over the place. TLOTDM is relatively recent and the production value is very high. This is a perfect mix of comedy and action and I honestly think this movie should be able to entertain any viewer watching. Nothing quite like it

1. Ip Man
I reviewed this already. Some may find it bold that I have this as #1 over the other greats I’ve listed. But it’s honestly that good. It’s in the top 250 on imdb and delivers more than a good action flick. This is a loosely historical action movie. Ip Man was Bruce Lee’s master and this is the rather exciting story of his life. Donny Yen is incredible. I can think of at least three moments in the movie where I was at the edge of my seat. Master Ip is the most humble character in the film, never wanting to hurt anyone, and yet everyone wants to hurt him to prove that they are…the best. Eventually things get serious and he snaps into a “no filter” mode and fights to his full potential. That broadcasts some fine cinema, this just simply needs to be on everyone’s watchlist regardless of their interest in Kung Fu.

I bought this on Blu-Ray and the cashier was telling me how much he loves this movie and that he tried to re-enact this scene?

Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 60
Hedonistic Glory : 1442
Joined In : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Kung Fu Movies   Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Anyone who doesn't say Police Story is Chan's best movie doesn't know Jackie Chan.

Your list is seriously lacking something...

You also need to see Five Deadly Venoms.

I would also argue that Enter the Dragon isn't Lee's best movie, rather Fist of Fury is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25286
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Kung Fu Movies   Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Despotic Reign wrote:
Anyone who doesn't say Police Story is Chan's best movie doesn't know Jackie Chan.

Your list is seriously lacking something...

You also need to see Five Deadly Venoms.

I would also argue that Enter the Dragon isn't Lee's best movie, rather Fist of Fury is.
Ahh- I've seen quite a few of Jackie Chan's movies, but haven't seen Police Story yet. I think I keep confusing it with Supercop - which I wasn't a fan of. Perhaps I need to get on that. But nonetheless I wouldn't discredit the films I've listed.

I like Van Damme - but lets be real that kick is essentially all that he will do. How many times did he do that move at the end of Bloodsport? I will however - add Five Deadly Venoms to the watchlist.

Fist of Fury/Chinese Connection is the same movie and is pretty badass which I did acknowledge as the typical favourite. I rewatched them all lately and found a liking to the Bond like feeling from Enter the Dragon. I think it was a Hollywood movie actually. They did a good job with it. But yeah - dat dojo scene

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Kung Fu Movies   

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Kung Fu Movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1