Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mother saves sons life four times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Mother saves sons life four times   Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:34 pm

A single mother has been hailed a heroine after saving her baby boy's life four times in 10 minutes as paramedics talked her through the procedure over the phone.

Driving instructor Cordelia Nolan, 25, was "petrified" when her son Emrys, who was born 10 weeks premature, stopped breathing at her home in Bristol on January 14.

Luckily Ms Nolan had learned emergency resuscitation techniques and with the advice of ambulance staff on the line she pumped his heart back into life before an ambulance arrived.

Her cousin, Kieran Byrne, 24, was visiting the house in Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol and relayed instructions back from Great Western Ambulance to unflappable Ms Nolan.

Paramedics arrived during the 10-minute call to find the baby's breathing had been restored and rushed him to Bristol Children's Hospital. A urine infection was found to be the cause of his seizure.

Ms Nolan said: "Emrys went to bed as normal, then I saw he was sluggish and grunting in his Moses basket. I was holding onto him for about five hours, but at 8am he didn't want his feed.

"His colour drained out and he went blue. Luckily my cousin was there and he dialled 999. I started CPR straight away, as I had had been offered training in it because he was premature. I was petrified but I just went into autopilot. I didn't have time to think and just did it. I'm not really a heroine - I just did what any mother would do instinctively."

Using two fingers she gave Emrys 30 pumps in the chest for every two breaths, keeping up the battle despite appearing to lose him four times.

"I'd bring him back, he would cry a bit and then drain again," she said. I was listening for breath and giving mouth to mouth over the nose and mouth. I'd urge any new mother to do the same training. The advice on the phone was really reassuring, and it would have been vital if I hadn't had knowledge of CPR."

Phone operator Jennifer Riley who took the call said but for the actions of Ms Nolan, 10 week old Emrys would almost certainly have died before the three paramedics arrived.

Dayum, make me a sammich

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14865
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Mother saves sons life four times   Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

wow. i feel unaccomplished. what a hero. read the whole article

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Mother saves sons life four times   Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Autopilot, that is just class

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mother saves sons life four times