Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Oblivion review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25291
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Oblivion review   Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Written by BYD
Two years after Oblivion's release I sold it to purchase Gears of war 2. Two months later I'm thinking "damn I wanna play Oblivion. Hey, they are selling it for half price and with the two long expansions!" So I buy it. This is a long game I tell you. It is seriously a world. There is NO END to this game. The map is huge, you can either run to locations, do this feature called Fast Travel where you can instantly teleport across the map. (However you can not teleport to secret locations. Only places you have already been to or major cities. Good thing there are like 7 major cities, heheh) Or you can buy a horse and ride it. There are even three kinds of horses. How hardcore is this game? Extremely.

Story

You start off by creating a character and picking a class. By class I mean you can be a Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Imperial (Normal guy), Redguard, Lizard thing, Orc, or a tiger thing and more. Each class has there own specialties and strengths. The elves are good at magic and can summon a ghost to help them fight. Redguards and orcs can use a beserk power which greatly increases strength and health for two minutes. This can be cast once a day. You can press a button to make a day go by. So after you make your character you start off in prison? Why? You never find out, who cares, you decide. The Emperor sees you and there is a secret passage in your cell. He has great faith in you, he has dreamt of you. Anyway he is assassinated as he told you it would happen and the guards want you on there side. The game begins. A new empire must be alive or gates to hell open. By an emperor must be crowned in a certain way. So you find in son and are trying to find the elements to make him the new leader before its too late.

Gameplay
Combat is very simple. Block and attack, hold attack for more power. Plenty of weapons and you can switch from first person to third person view with a click. Sneak, lockpick, persuade, fight, cast spells. How much more can you ask for? Every mission has many ways to its completion. For example, you want to kill a prisoner in a assassins quest. It turns out this guy was your cellmate you taunts you in the beginning. You can A- Fail the mission and let him go and take his bribe. B-Kill him with magic or an arrow C-Pockpick a guard go in the cell and kill him without being seen. D- Kill every guard and the prisoner then kill your way out E-Tell him to leave forever and lie saying you killed him then escape
I choice D everytime, my sneak isn't high enough, level that **** up. You can be in sneak mode and leave for 5 hours and come back and your sneak will be level 99, yes, this is that type of game where you get rewarded for everything you do.

You know you wanna kill this punk in one of the MANY dungeons in Oblivion where there is always a prize in the end
Audio
Top notch acting. However, you can really tell the acting crew is under 20. There are thousands of characters, and you will often hear the same voices for a lot of the people. I say, who cares, there is HOURS of dialouge that is optional to hear and the acting is great. Always a great song playing and the battle music is quite appropriate. A in sound

Length

Main quest-20-30 hours. Mage/Fighters/Thieves/Assassins Guild-20-30 Hours. Exploring-10 hours. Having fun doing whatever you want- 10 hours. Expansions-15+hours. Gladiator Area-3 hours, Side Quests-Infinite hours Seriously this is some incredible value. People say oh, the orange box has five games in one. Yeah well this is like you are actually a solider in a real world where every character has something to say and likes you differently. The game is very forgiving, do bad deeds? Go to jail, big deal. The more you put into the game, the more you get. Did I mention you can make your own spells?

The game lets you know how close you are to leveling and how good you are at certain skills

Final word- I have played this game for 80 hours I believe. And I still think its insane fun. Truly remarkable and action and suspense in every turn. Horror- Assassins Guild. Suspense- Thieves Guild. Action- Everything. Pick up some torches when its dark out, you pretty much create your own game here
Enjoy it, trust me

Last edited by breakyoudown on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14872
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 pm

well, hopefully i dont have a defective xbox. everytime my gameplay reached 7 hours, it would reset to the 4 hour mark. that could make this game suck incredibly hard. so hopefully it is just PoP4.

a must have, i see

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Oh yeah
Negatives-The oblivion gates themselves are the worst part. They are optional to close, but you are missing out in extra troops that will help you later if you don't close them. They are repetitive, hard to see and frustrating as its such a huge area to explore. Also, the AI sometimes dips very low. One time in the final battle, I would spoil it. But I accidently hit a good guy while fighting since the screen was full of fighting. And after the fight and praise was over, a moment later he tried to arrest me for attacking him. That is bullshit. **** that. But then as he was attacking me a different guard starting defending me and every guard got in a big fight. It was hilarious. I slowly backed out and ran. *facepalm* Earths last hope here. Epic glitches like this are rare but so funny

Shady
Lightning Rider

Number of posts : 1372
Hedonistic Glory : 4258
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Brut, it is definitely a must buy, don't even think twice about not buying it.

And yeah try avoid the oblivion gates as much as possible, they're pretty sucky.

Nice in-depth review, hope to hear more Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Haha thanks
Fallout 3 will be reviewed next along with Shivering Isles
Man orcs are so ****ing strong. I had to run and use my bow to kill them

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 pm

is Fallout 3 an fps? then it is a must buy on my list

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 am

No
It is Oblivion with guns

Shady
Lightning Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Well it can be an FPS, thats what I like about Fallout, it is what you make it. You can play it in Third Person or First Person but its first and foremost an RPG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Vats is awesome

Shady
Lightning Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm

Aye, i love the perks, Mister Sandman and Mysterious Stranger etc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:45 pm

I am pretty much just starting
I have no idea what to do lol

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15994
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 pm

You sold Oblivion....that is ****ing insane! That game is one that will NEVER leave my collection lol. Actually, i would trash that before Morrowind...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:03 am

What can I say? I needed to trade 3 games in to get Gears 2 for free lol

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am

hahaha here's how i got it. my friend's brother somehow found a broken copy, i rented a copy from blockbuster, and i kept the working copy lol. I also managed to get the free flashback map pack card thingy from the case at blockbuster lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:14 am

The old bait and switch eh? They can't trace you for that?

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 am

**** i hope not hahaha. I did that **** at gamestop when my friend broke my GTA game. we bought a used copy, took back the broken one saying it doesn't work, and got me a working game while getting him one. I think some stores get clever and put little stickers on the discs or something, but i always check
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:21 am

Don't get in the habit of that eh? One day
Karma will get a critical strike

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 am

yeah, karma is a *****....and so is gamestop. good job lol

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 am

Im not a criminal mastermind by any stretch lol. I just did it those two times, and they will probably polish it and get it to work anyway. The GTA disk wasn't even scratched i don't know why i t didn't work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am

breakyoudown wrote:
Written by BYD
Two years after Oblivion's release I sold it to purchase Gears of war 2. Two months later I'm thinking "damn I wanna play Oblivion. Hey, they are selling it for half price and with the two long expansions!" So I buy it. This is a long game I tell you. It is seriously a world. There is NO END to this game. The map is huge, you can either run to locations, do this feature called Fast Travel where you can instantly teleport across the map. (However you can not teleport to secret locations. Only places you have already been to or major cities. Good thing there are like 7 major cities, heheh) Or you can buy a horse and ride it. There are even three kinds of horses. How hardcore is this game? Extremely.

Story

You start off by creating a character and picking a class. By class I mean you can be a Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Imperial (Normal guy), Redguard, Lizard thing, Orc, or a tiger thing and more. Each class has there own specialties and strengths. The elves are good at magic and can summon a ghost to help them fight. Redguards and orcs can use a beserk power which greatly increases strength and health for two minutes. This can be cast once a day. You can press a button to make a day go by. So after you make your character you start off in prison? Why? You never find out, who cares, you decide. The Emperor sees you and there is a secret passage in your cell. He has great faith in you, he has dreamt of you. Anyway he is assassinated as he told you it would happen and the guards want you on there side. The game begins. A new empire must be alive or gates to hell open. By an emperor must be crowned in a certain way. So you find in son and are trying to find the elements to make him the new leader before its too late.

Gameplay
Combat is very simple. Block and attack, hold attack for more power. Plenty of weapons and you can switch from first person to third person view with a click. Sneak, lockpick, persuade, fight, cast spells. How much more can you ask for? Every mission has many ways to its completion. For example, you want to kill a prisoner in a assassins quest. It turns out this guy was your cellmate you taunts you in the beginning. You can A- Fail the mission and let him go and take his bribe. B-Kill him with magic or an arrow C-Pockpick a guard go in the cell and kill him without being seen. D- Kill every guard and the prisoner then kill your way out E-Tell him to leave forever and lie saying you killed him then escape
I choice D everytime, my sneak isn't high enough, level that **** up. You can be in sneak mode and leave for 5 hours and come back and your sneak will be level 99, yes, this is that type of game where you get rewarded for everything you do.

You know you wanna kill this punk in one of the MANY dungeons in Oblivion where there is always a prize in the end
Audio
Top notch acting. However, you can really tell the acting crew is under 20. There are thousands of characters, and you will often hear the same voices for a lot of the people. I say, who cares, there is HOURS of dialouge that is optional to hear and the acting is great. Always a great song playing and the battle music is quite appropriate. A in sound

Length

Main quest-20-30 hours. Mage/Fighters/Thieves/Assassins Guild-20-30 Hours. Exploring-10 hours. Having fun doing whatever you want- 10 hours. Expansions-15+hours. Gladiator Area-3 hours, Side Quests-Infinite hours Seriously this is some incredible value. People say oh, the orange box has five games in one. Yeah well this is like you are actually a solider in a real world where every character has something to say and likes you differently. The game is very forgiving, do bad deeds? Go to jail, big deal. The more you put into the game, the more you get. Did I mention you can make your own spells?

The game lets you know how close you are to leveling and how good you are at certain skills

Final word- I have played this game for 80 hours I believe. And I still think its insane fun. Truly remarkable and action and suspense in every turn. Horror- Assassins Guild. Suspense- Thieves Guild. Action- Everything. Pick up some torches when its dark out, you pretty much create your own game here
Enjoy it, trust me

I only have one discrepancy with your review - you forgot to include "Nord" in your list of races, which is by far the most badass of them all. tsk tsk

Otherwise good review of one of the best games ever made

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11697
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

The lizards are Argonians and the cats ar Kahjiit. You also forgot to mention Bretons which are magic humans. Also that there are three types of elves. High, Dark, Wood. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Too lazy lol

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 pm

7th

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm

lol 7th? Man this game was good, I think your review was better than mine. The fact that you are ignorant about a lot of things in game is a cool thing about this game. Todd Howard once said in an interview that they try to make the player draw their own conclusions about the lore and stuff. It's awesome.

I think I might be a hardcore nerd or something, but I actually enjoy reading the in game books.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:58 pm

7th thread on Oblivion lol
You read the books? Ahaha dude that is extreeeeeme
I read like 1 page of the guy who killed his mom
The only thing it said was
killlkillkillkilllkillkillkill
Spammed everywhere

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:01 pm

I remember that! And he had his mother's zombie head on a platter. It was just called "Mother's Head". I took it and displayed it in Rosethorn Hall with all my other named skulls and stuff.

There was a book called "The Lusty Argonian Maid" or something, and it was a play where everything was a sexual innuendo. it was like

"ms, my spear needs a good polishing"

"well, you came to the right made. I love polishing men's spears. Oh, your spear is so big. This is going to take awhile."

lol some of the books are actually pretty entertaining

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Haha that's great
The quests were so cool, fallout really has nothing on Oblivion

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Fallout was an incredible game - a mindblowing game. But...

it sucks BALLLLLLLLLS in comparison to Oblivion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
strider124

Number of posts : 1
Hedonistic Glory : 2948
Joined In : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:34 pm

Yah dude oblivion is one of my favorie games even though gears and halo are fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey Strider, welcome to the forums bro!

Go ahead and introduce yourself in the Random section, just ell us about what kind of metalhead you are and what interests you

It's great to have you man

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 am

If you do not become an active member
I will not sleep tonight

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:20 pm

So I'm playing Oblivion again

Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10393
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:53 pm

I did, for a lil john bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Tom_Sawyer
Lord 'o Lava Lamps

Number of posts : 557
Hedonistic Glory : 3775
Joined In : 2008-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:29 pm

I tryed playin this once when i was about 13 or 14 and i couldnt figure out how to get out of the sewers so i quit and returned the game. then i moved to fallout 3 and i love that shit. i might get back to oblivion tho, fallout is gettin kinda boring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/e_money05
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:40 am

I want to play this a thrid time

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Oblivion is amazing. I could play it for hours and not notice

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:33 pm

f*** I want Dragon Age to be good

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Dragon Age got a 9.5 out of 10!!!!!! That's a f***ing outrage!!! That's implying that there is something wrong with it, as I'm POSITIVE there isn't because it's a f***ing BIOWARE game!!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Any video reviews?

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:27 pm

No, but here is some amazing gameplay footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djq_nBP-aTc

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Damnnnn I want

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:31 pm

MAke sure you watch it sir, it is awesome awesome awesome

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:39 pm

I did indeed
Alright so lets trade in.....GTA, Assassins creed, anddddddd T-Pain

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:40 pm

I've gotta get some cash. I want this game badly

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom_Sawyer
Lord 'o Lava Lamps

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Im finally starting to get into Oblivion. I just went and bought it again and its pretty fun. I beat the Arena in like 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9730
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I just realized that this being in the world news section must be some kind of a joke lol. Not to say oblivion isn't world news...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom_Sawyer
Lord 'o Lava Lamps

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:22 pm

i was thinking that same thing.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 pm

I never really noticed before I was just like, "What's this doing here? Oh, an Oblivion review cool." Now when I think about it I know BYD was up to something lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom_Sawyer
Lord 'o Lava Lamps

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:29 pm

I don't even have to see him; I can just look at that damn avatar and know he's somewhere smiling right now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oblivion review   

Back to top Go down

Oblivion review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next