Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25286
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon   Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:27 pm

ARGHHH READING- Don't post this ****. I don't care if you don't want to read all of it. Contribute or don't post
Written by BYD

Waking Up to an Uncomfortable Realization:
Comparative Study of “Horton Hears a Who” and Plato’s Myth of the Cave
David Finoro

In a number of ways, Horton’s experience can compare with the realized prisoner. These two do not understand what they have yet to see. The prisoner only knows the cave in which he has lived his life. On the other hand Horton had no way of knowing that there is such a thing as a Who. Horton starts off ignorant by being confused when he heard a “help” that he could not locate where it was coming from. Common sense would tell us that it is far fetched that a city could inhabit on a dust speck. Since Horton found it so unusual that a city could live on a dust speck he was unsure of the cities existence, just as the prisoner would be confused by the outside world. When the Who scientist explained that a city does indeed exist on dust Horton had a true understanding of the new world.

Horton and the released prisoner are made aware of other realities by being shown the truth directly. Horton was shown the truth when the scientist explained to him that the city was in need of his protection. The prisoner was forced out of the cave and was shown the life changing reality. This is both a reward and a burden for Horton. He knows that it is his duty to protect those that cannot defend themselves. “A person is a person, no matter how small.” The prisoner is now confronted with the fact that he has not been correct about the world in any of his interpretations, as he has never seen the sun or even his own reflection. This responsibility presupposes that they will use their knowledge in positive ways, making use to it.

Horton is a victim of a society that does not accept him. Groupthink believes that you are out of touch with reality; it’s a mentality that distorts ones ability to evaluate their situations realistically. Mrs.Kangaroo instantly spreads rumours about Horton the moment she see’s him talking to the Who’s. With the help of the Wickerson brothers, she wants this idea of another life form to be destroyed. The fellow animals all classified inanimate objects to be incapable of life, therefore Horton had to be losing his mind because of his strange concept.

Dr.Roovy’s role of a public philosopher is to understand the world around him. His dilemma is that nobody in the city will believe that there is life outside of their city. The Who’s make fun of Dr.Whoovy because they are like Horton’s fellow animals, unable to believe that their can be life that is different to their environment. Of course, the Who’s believe once the city is in danger because they have evidence to believe such a thing is possible when their buildings where damaged. The animals also come to a belief that the Who’s went they hear the “yelp” that one of the Who’s delivers.

The eagle clouds the issues by dropping the Who’s into a field of clovers. This is symbolic of society not wanting something new to alter their lifestyle. This is challenging to Horton for the obvious reason that it is intensely discouraging. He picked over a billion clovers and still could not find the one with his new friends. Fatigue and stress could become overwhelming and he might just want to give up. Horton’s opponents simply wanted this “theory” of other life exiled. They were most likely afraid that if too many people believed what Horton had to say then Mrs.Kangaroo’s opinion would not hold as much weight. The Wickerson brothers want the unknown to remain buried. This can be a motivation for philosophers because if they manage to unearth the truth, must praise will be rewarded for revealing the fact after all the disbelief. This is of course a challenge for philosophers like Dr.Whoovy because the general public does not want such research to begin in the first place.

Horton’s enemies needed to hear the “yop” to stop them from burning the Who’s. This suggests that many people need hard evidence in order to have faith in such theories. This explains why so many atheists exist today. A written document is not enough for them to invest their faith into Christianity because it is insufficient evidence to those groups. If the villains did not hear the cry the Who’s would have been burned alive and Horton would remain caged until they believed him to be sane.

Horton’s peers react rather differently then the inhabitants of the cave would. The moment the animals heard the “yop” they instantly broke into song and were on Horton’s side of the protection and continuity of the Who’s life. I would think that the other prisoners would react like the original one. They would shield their eyes from the brightness of the sun that their eyes have never witnessed. Everything they would see is new and would take some time to comprehend. Indeed the reactions would be much less energetic and quite opposite.

TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6615
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon   Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 pm

hehe I remember this you wont get it back after you hand it guarantee you gonna have to ask him for it

here my response

1. When Horton tries to tell others of an incredible world on the spec of dust they think he’s crazy and don’t believe him. Hearing these screams is a new experience for him, and changes his whole perspective on people. The prisoner released from the cave also experiences new things when he was released from the cave. He begins to see, feel, and hear his senses for the first time. When the prisoner returns to the cave no one believes his experiences.
2. The prisoner in the cave becomes aware that there is life outside of the cave how ever the other prisoners don’t believe him. Horton is aware an entire world on a dust spec, which no one else believes exist. Horton believes that because he is the only aware of the tiny world he feels that it is his responsibility to protect it from any harm.
3. Horton becomes a victim of group think when the other animals of the forest decide that the dust spec must be destroyed. Ms. Kangaroo plays the role of the leader of the group and asks help from the Wickersham brothers to destroy the spec of dust.
4. Dr. Whoovy is the scientist who like Horton is aware of a world outside of his own. Just like Horton the other whos do not believe him when he tells them about the outside world. However the skeptics of the city become believers when their city is destroyed.
5. When the dust spec is thrown into the field of clovers Horton takes up his responsibility and decides to search for the spec of dust and protect the small world. Horton’s opponents were hoping that by getting rid of the dust spec that Horton would stop talking about the world on the dust spec.
6. Horton’s opponents needed to hear the “yop” before they come to realization that there really is a city on the tiny spec. This suggest what Horton said was true “A persons a person no matter how small”, and it was the smallest of the Whos that had save them all. Had he not have said anything then Horton’s opponents would have doubted the Whos existence and destroyed them.
7. The inhabitants of the cave do not believe the prisoner about his experiences in the outside world. Just as Horton’s opponents did not believe him when he said there was life on the dust spec.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25286
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon   Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 am

What mark did you get?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon   

Back to top Go down

Here I compare a Philosopher's Theory to a Dr.Seus Cartoon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1